• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Success!! Finally! Long story....long

J-ROD

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2011
Mechanicsville, Virginia
I know I sound like a broken record but I feel it needs to be repeated as much as possible. The good Lord put some awesome people in my life to get me where I am now: Jeff Rorer, Clint Cooper, Darrell Buell, Andrew McCourt, Bohem, Shredder58, Ed Shell, Memilanuk and I am sure there are more I am forgetting. These guys have always taken time out of their busy schedules to answer all of the silly newb questions I had...basically giving me all the info for free that they spent countless hours figuring out. I say it all the time, but I mean it all the time, THANK YOU!

So I bought this Savage FTR about a year-ish ago but had no idea I would get obsessed with this stuff the way I did/am. I had never shot farther than 250yds, then made it out to 300 with Shredder58, then 1k with Jeff where I got some schooling. All just in time for my first (and still only) match, which was at 1k at Butner, December 2011. I have been hooked since. I didn't reload then so Andrew got me set-up with some awesome ammo for the match, it shot much much better than I did.
Fast forward a few months and I decided to dive into reloading. All of the guys mentioned above gave me tons and tons of info on what to do and what not to do.
I fought all of the typical form, ammo consistency, yada yada issues and bad groups for awhile then dealt with a barrel issue and decided to switch to a Criterion 1:10 30" bull barrel. I beautiful piece for sure and Jim is just plain fantastic to deal with.
I missed a bunch of shoots this spring & summer due to family health issues and didn't get around to shooting the new barrel until the end of July. Despite the break-in saga, I did it anyways...lots of copper the first 4-5 rounds then it just disappeared, just as Jim said it would. Took FOR E VER but at least it's done and I must admit, makes me feel warm and fuzzy.
I put about 40 rounds (200gn Hybrids & Alliant 2000MR)through it that day doing some load testing at 330yds. Where I shoot, that's as far as I can possibly get and had to do some redneck engineering to see the target. There was grass in the way and a horrible mirage due to shooting ~12" over the top of a hill. I also had to shoot cramped up in the back of my 4runner so I blamed all of that for the iffy groups but still found a somewhat promising load to duplicate for an Academi shoot scheduled August 11th.
Well that match got thunderstormed out unfortunately so I was stuck with 64 rounds of that load but was unsure how it would really shoot.
Fast forward yet again to last weekend, instead of doing the truck fiasco, I just got on the ground and shot normally at 250yds. I had some Berger 200gn Hybrids with H4350 to try, and yes I know it doesn't work but with 50gn, I did almost end up getting to the same node as I did with Alliant 2000MR but still, no dice.
Barrel had 40rds through it, then I put about 35rds of H4350 through it (again, nothing earth shattering). Afterwards, I decided to shoot 5 of the 64 rounds I made for the cancelled Aug 11th match. I should have shot more, but there is a match Sept 8th (2 matches at 1k) and I don't want to waste anymore of them :)

Recap with pictures:

First weekend with new barrel, redneck 330yd set-up. Target is just to the left of the top of the chrony sunshade. It was farther out but I had to move it in due to the sun giving me goofy readings. Still got goofy readings being so close..~10'

20120728182339734.jpg

By mouzetrap at 2012-08-28

2012072818073435.jpg

20120728180910320.jpg

Last weekend at 250yds:

20120826190648663.jpg

20120826190751359.jpg

And drum roll, remember I'm a newbie so this is a great group for me. First shot went right, me on the trigger...one of the many issues I have been fighting. I did everything correctly for the next 4 shots.
20120826191724244.jpg

Equipment wise, other than the barrel the things that I feel really helped the most:
-Duplin Rifles/Rorer Spec Bipod, this thing is just plain awesome and so so light. Clint's CS is absolutely amazing to boot. Check out his website for more info
-Scott Parker tuned balance, scary scary accurate and consistent. No more fighting with a drifting electric scale.
-Omega Auto powder trickler, combined with the balance this is actually a very quick method IMO of charging cases...no turning back! Awesome CS as well.

Sorry for the rambling post but I am still fired up about my set-up/results. I know it's just one group, and only at 250yds, I sound like a silly school girl and yes I want a cookie, but this is the best group I have ever shot out of anything and I feel like I am finally doing something right.

Thanks again to all of you guys, I would have never gotten as far up the learning curve without all of your help.

God bless,

-Jarrod

Re: Success!! Finally! Long story....long

There are an awful lot of shooters that would be happy with those four at 100 yd. Very nice. The folks you mentioned all seem to be helping out others with no thought of anything in return. That's the way it ought to be and hats off to them all!

Outstanding Jarrod! Time to bring this combo out to Raton, or some of the other bigger matches. With your accuracy settled, you can work on getting a handle on some bigger wind ranges with confidence!

Nice job,

Darrell

Thanks guys for the kind words.

Gstaylorg, you are absolutely correct, you would think the guys mentioned would be stingy with the info since they compete, and at the top too....but that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Darrell, that's an excellent point. The only thing that picture proves is that I found a good load for my rifle. Having only shot twice at 1k, I am completely green at wind reading...a lot to learn there.

Hey J, you should come check out 340 Defense. Its just over the WV border from Virginia and they have a 400 yd range and the manager shoots F class regularly. He helped me get started and is going to give me more pointers once my rifle is built. Check it out. www.340defense.com