• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggest a long action magnum chambering for me

valhalla ss

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
I bought a new Rem 700 action (long action, magnum boltface) and I have been swinging back and forth between doing a 7mm RM or a 300 win mag. Are there any other good options I should look at? My goal is to have a hard hitting, accurate rifle out to at least 600 yards. I already have a 700P in 308 that shoots great even though I am a novice rifleman and want something that's a "step up" in energy delivery on target. The longest range I have access to is 600 yds currently. I would also like to hear reccomendations on barrel manufacturers, I have been leaning towards Krieger or Shilen just from what I have read.

Re: Suggest a long action magnum chambering for me

either of those chamberings will suite your needs and far beyond, both have an abundance of available factory ammo, and reloading components, so it all comes down to personal preference, as for barrel manufacturers, once again personal preference, i'd go Brux, but thats just me...

338edge
laugh.gif

7WSM! With the long action, you can sit the 180 Bergers or JLK's way the hell out there and really reach out and touch someone!

There is no reason to go 7RM when the WSM will do the same thing with less powder and no belt!

7RM. Lotta knowledge out there about this chambering, brass is more common, and 7mm bullets and good slower propellants are finally coming of age for the LR shooter.

If I'm gonna shoot a Magnum (and I am, and it's a 7RM) at LR, I'm definitely going to use the highest sectional density I can manage without jacking the recoil penalty up to the extreme. This favors the smaller bore diameter. If the recent advances in 7mm LR bullets weren't happening, I'd not be backing this filly.

Also, I have seen this chambering in the hands of a highly competent shooter (Andy Mussack) at 1000yd, and I have no cause to be whipping this horse.

Greg

338 LAPUA, I just got one and there accurate as hell at 600 like 3" group at 600 , also good to say 1200 with 250 gr and maybe 1500 with 300 gr.
Bill

Just to be different, look at the .300 SAUM. As opposed to the .300 WSM, it has a longer neck. Berger will be bringing out a 229 grain VLD bullet soon that is being designed in conjunction with Bryan Litz. Loaded in the .300 SAUM in a long action, the bullet can be loaded to an OAL that will work through the magazine without having to be seated below the shoulder/neck joint of the case. It should be a good performer out to 1K.

Barrels: Brux, Kreiger, Bartlein, Rock..., in no particular order. If you do go with a heavy .30 cal, use a 1:10 twist.

With the high BC bullets available for .284, it is hard to ignore the 7mm's. For overall performance and availability, the 7mmRM pushing 168/180 Grain Bergers is a no brainer. 7WSM would do the same thing in a long action, maybe. 7mm Dakota may be the best of them all.

Can you elaborate on the 229 vld, as I am going to be having a build chambered in 300 wby this fall and was initially set on the 240smk as the bullet of choice. I have heard that this is in the works at berger, but have not heard any specifics about the time line. BC is supose to be over .8 if I am not mistaken?

I vote for the 7wsm as well. For a barrel any of the manufactures you see listed here would work. I personally started using Broughton 5Cs a couple years ago and really like the results. They clean like a dream and Tim is great to deal with.

Do you plan to mag feed it? My vote is 7wsm shooting the 180's if you are.

personally, if i were limited to 600 yards, i'd sell the long action and buy a short action. if i had no choice but to use that long action, i'd build a straight .284 win. your barrel should last a long time and the extra velocity, recoil and short barrel life of the 7wsm (or any of the magnums for that matter) is not needed.