• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggest a rim fire rig?

Roddd

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2012
SoCal
Okaly dokaly, I'm looking at getting a rimfire rifle that would serve as an ideal trainer for my GAP Crusader with A5 McMillan stock. Most shooting will be done at 100 yards, with some 50 and 200 thrown into the mix. I am looking at spending about $1,500 for the rifle/scope combo but wouldn't mind if the price came in under that. Any suggestions?

Re: Suggest a rim fire rig?

CZ, Manners T4, used SS 10XHD or new SS 3-9?

What he said^^^ you will come out right at the price you had in mind and thats with good glass.

Savage Mark II TR

I have a 20MOA base and Nikon Buckmasters and Harris bipod.

Very fun, inexpensive training rig.

I am at 2 of the 3 things CMH mentioned...with the Manners T4 on order but not likely ready until July (ouch). Anyway, a wonderful setup so far, and no complaints on my end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvtolean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage Mark II TR

Very fun, inexpensive training rig. </div></div>

+1

Really like my Savage TR

CZ + Manners + whatever glass you choose. I wouldn't go any other way, and I'm still tweaking my rig. However, the Savage TR route is not a poor choice by ANY means, as my shooting buddy had his running on par with my rifle Sunday. Both options can/will result in very capable rifles.

Edit, Full Disclosure: I was determined to hate on his (just as the nature of our friendship goes
grin.gif
), but the first time I got behind it and shot a 5 round group, it was a smidge over 1.00" at 100 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sphillips</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: luvtolean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage Mark II TR

Very fun, inexpensive training rig. </div></div>

+1

Really like my Savage TR </div></div>

Use the spare money for lots of Wolf, they all seem to love the stuff.
smile.gif

CZ 452 Varmint bedded into a Manner's T4, Harris 6-9 bipod, DIP 25MOA rail, DIP triggerguard, DIP adjustable trigger sear, and for now 5.5-25 X 50mm Falcon Menace.
DSC00443.jpg

Thanks everyone, I'm no stranger to cheap glass, I have an S&B on the Crusader and could justify $500 or so for the scope. Now I just have to decide on the CZ or Savage. I've heard great things about both. Does one or the other come with sling swivels/flush cups?

I think my Cooper 57M is an excellent complement to my GAP Crusader. I put mine together for ~1500 with Vortex Viper glass. Tiny targets at 200yds are no match for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roddd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does one or the other come with sling swivels/flush cups? </div></div>

Savage has swivels.

My thoughts on 22lr rifles is to pick what price range of ammo you are ok with buying all the time. If your a bulk ammo, cheap ammo guy, then don't worry so much about the name on the rifle as they are all only so capable with bulk. Find the one that fits your price and liking's. If you can afford the best ammo all the time without worry....40x or annie 54-64 for sure!!! Those rifles, when done right, can capitalize on the match grade ammo the best and provide what the others never will.

BTW the 40x also comes with like a million awesome options since it is off the 700 action. Jewel triggers, stocks galore, and a ton more after market parts, pieces, barrel makers, replacement parts, ect.