• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggest a scope for a 308 Bolt Gun

boatbum101

Private
Minuteman
Nov 17, 2023
Pensacola , FL
Rem 700 308W bolt , target use 3-600m . Daylight from gray gloomy to bright sunny day . Budget $ 800 - 1200 . Ones that look like they might do are Swaro Z3 , NF SHV , Zeiss Conquest V4 , & Leu VX5HD . What say you ?

Between those SHV or VX5HD. I have a VX5HD with rings listed in the classifieds for over $500 off retail.

The Swaro isn’t a great option for target use and the Conquests are pretty meh and you’re up shits creek basically if you have to use their warranty, they’re about the worst.

You should also consider used bushnell elites and vortex razor LHT’s.

Reactions: Cat pitch
Between those SHV or VX5HD. I have a VX5HD with rings listed in the classifieds for over $500 off retail.

The Swaro isn’t a great option for target use and the Conquests are pretty meh and you’re up shits creek basically if you have to use their warranty, they’re about the worst.

You should also consider used bushnell elites and vortex razor LHT’s.
Haven't played the target game in almost 50 yrs . Back then Service Rifle w/ irons to 600yds . I'd need someone to help me back up after my string these days . Most of our hunting rifles have Swaro or Zeiss , but have others ie Bushmell Elites & Sightron Big Sky II on some lever guns . Am new here & only have the free membership , so I believe the classifieds are off-limits to me unless I upgrade . Saw your Vari-X III but no VX5HD . Wish I'd of seen that 700P a week - 10 days ago I'd of drove from Pensacola for it . As is bought this C prefix BDL in a basket for 5 bills , couldn't say no at that price . Thanks appreciate the sage advice . GLWYS

Rem 700 308W bolt , target use 3-600m . Daylight from gray gloomy to bright sunny day . Budget $ 800 - 1200 . Ones that look like they might do are Swaro Z3 , NF SHV , Zeiss Conquest V4 , & Leu VX5HD . What say you ?
On sale for around $1,200…. I have one, and it’s a great scope.

If you want slightly less magnification…

Reactions: boatbum101
Meopta optika 6 5-30. It’s got great glass and you don’t have to grab the turrets like a beer bottle cap to turn them. Target from the bench is about comfort, good glass equals less eye fatigue and good turrets don’t have to be hard to turn if you’re not running and gunning. They have great feeling turrets with very good click indexing but you can adjust them with your index finger and thumb. And this type of criteria is perfect for the big rubber controls it has. I don’t personally like the rubber grips, but if someone is older and just enjoys shooting at targets they’re perfect.

Reactions: Scopeye
I was just re-reading this thread, and realized I left out a lot of pertinent info as I was at work, and typing on my phone, and didn't have much time...

I know your budget is tight at $1,200 on the top-end, but I'd definitely steer-clear of the SHV line. NF makes great scopes...But overall majority consensus here on the forum (mostly comprised of disappointed previous SHV owners) is the SHV line of scopes sucks.

And as much as I like my Ziess V4 6-24x50's for lightweight hunting scopes, I don't think it would be the best fit for what you're trying to accomplish as a target scope. Would it do it? Sure, but not quite as good as some other options that are more geared towards the tactical/target shooting side of things like those XTR-III's that I linked you to earlier.

Last edited:
I know your budget is tight at $1,200 on the top-end, but I'd definitely steer-clear of the SHV line. NF makes great scopes...But overall majority consensus here on the forum (mostly comprised of disappointed previous SHV owners) is the SHV line of scopes sucks.

I have two SHV's 4-14 F1 MIL R scopes and find that they are really good for the price. The only issues I have found with them, is they have a tight eye box and the reticles for them are a bit outdated.

The optics you listed are all second focal plane. Did you want to try something in first focal plane? The Burris XTR III listed above are on sale and would be in your budget and I would also look at the new SHV 4-14 F1 model with the MIL-XT reticle.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforce-SHV-4-14x50mm-ZeroSet-1-MRAD-Center-Only-Illum-Mil-XT-Riflescope-C694.aspx

One other thing I would do, is contact the vendors that post on the Hide, like Doug from Camera land NY or the guy's form Euro Optics. They will usually cut you a deal on the price. The Commercial Forums are also another good place for deals as well.

Haven't played the target game in almost 50 yrs . Back then Service Rifle w/ irons to 600yds . I'd need someone to help me back up after my string these days . Most of our hunting rifles have Swaro or Zeiss , but have others ie Bushmell Elites & Sightron Big Sky II on some lever guns . Am new here & only have the free membership , so I believe the classifieds are off-limits to me unless I upgrade . Saw your Vari-X III but no VX5HD . Wish I'd of seen that 700P a week - 10 days ago I'd of drove from Pensacola for it . As is bought this C prefix BDL in a basket for 5 bills , couldn't say no at that price . Thanks appreciate the sage advice . GLWYS

You should still be able to view the classifieds and contact sellers. You just have to have the supporter membership to post ads.

Meopta optika 6 5-30. It’s got great glass and you don’t have to grab the turrets like a beer bottle cap to turn them. Target from the bench is about comfort, good glass equals less eye fatigue and good turrets don’t have to be hard to turn if you’re not running and gunning. They have great feeling turrets with very good click indexing but you can adjust them with your index finger and thumb. And this type of criteria is perfect for the big rubber controls it has. I don’t personally like the rubber grips, but if someone is older and just enjoys shooting at targets they’re perfect.
It would probably be the best $700 he could possibly ever spend on an excellent quality scope. It's definitely better than the Nightforce SHV and Zeiss V4 and Vortex Razor LHT and Leupold VX 5HD for sure at a significantly cheaper price due to the current sale.

Funny brother bought a Optima 6 a couple weeks ago & wound up returning it . Paid for a new one , box had been damaged inside , had some marks , spots on lens & both elev & wind jammed all the way to one side . Like someone had opened & played with it . He returned it w/o a problem . I'd previously bought a couple of Zeiss hunting scopes & a Tikka rifle from same place w/o issue . We got 2 of the Trijicon TMMRAD 6-24x50 they had on sale for same money . That first Optima left a sour taste unfortunately . I like bright clear glass & 90% of hunting rifles have Ziess / Swaro on them , so I'd of probably got one . Time will tell rather it was a good or misguided move .

Reactions: FuhQ
Funny brother bought a Optima 6 a couple weeks ago & wound up returning it . Paid for a new one , box had been damaged inside , had some marks , spots on lens & both elev & wind jammed all the way to one side . Like someone had opened & played with it . He returned it w/o a problem . I'd previously bought a couple of Zeiss hunting scopes & a Tikka rifle from same place w/o issue . We got 2 of the Trijicon TMMRAD 6-24x50 they had on sale for same money . That first Optima left a sour taste unfortunately . I like bright clear glass & 90% of hunting rifles have Ziess / Swaro on them , so I'd of probably got one . Time will tell rather it was a good or misguided move .
They just raised the price by $50 so they're $749.99 now. That was $50 in equity right there if anyone bought in earlier. Next comparable scope is the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 currently on sale for $874.99 at EuroOptic and Scopelist but they're made in China.

Edited to include their like new open box DEMOS are still $699.99 and there's a good possibility you may receive a new one.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Last edited:
I have a Rem 700 308 Stainless 5R barrel and a matching Rem 223 Stainless 5R barrel. I purchased both NIB after Remington’s last Bankruptcy.
Both wear Leupold Mk4 6.5-20 scopes I purchased used off eBay.
Different reticles but both work great and less than $1K at the time.
Target is Federal Match 100yds, first group I shot.
-Richard
Off eBay, I purchase in the box with no visible signs of abuse and query the seller.
There are lots of expensive scopes on eBay that people can’t bear to shoot for fear of damaging them.
Sooner or later they sell them. When the price is right, purchase!

Attachments

• IMG_6359.jpeg
    IMG_6359.jpeg
    733.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_6360.jpeg
    IMG_6360.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Definately go with a Mark 4 over the VX5's
You couldn't give me a MK4, much less spend my money on one... They're fragile and outdated. Ask any sniper and armorer. They used to keep multiples on-hand for when (not if) one failed a sniper on mission. There's a reason they stopped using Leupy and went to Nightforce.

A colleaguue of mine uses Leupold scopes, especially on his .300 Win Mag. 6 trophys on the wall, 1 on top of some cabinets (fox), and two more buck tropnies on the sofa in his office, and that is just his office. Freezer at work full of the harvest of those two bucks and it is at the office because he does not have room at his house.

Others are good, I am just saying, Leupold is good for the money and you will catch some deers with it. I have another brand that I like but I can wholeheartedly say that Leupold is a solid scope. Pick one that has reticle and glass that look good to your eye and take everyone else's opinion with a grain of salt. And if that hurts some feelings, well, bonus. Yummy.

A colleaguue of mine uses Leupold scopes, especially on his .300 Win Mag. 6 trophys on the wall, 1 on top of some cabinets (fox), and two more buck tropnies on the sofa in his office, and that is just his office. Freezer at work full of the harvest of those two bucks and it is at the office because he does not have room at his house.

Others are good, I am just saying, Leupold is good for the money and you will catch some deers with it. I have another brand that I like but I can wholeheartedly say that Leupold is a solid scope. Pick one that has reticle and glass that look good to your eye and take everyone else's opinion with a grain of salt. And if that hurts some feelings, well, bonus. Yummy.
What you mean is, he should take everyone else's opinion with a grain of salt......Except for your's, because your's is correct......Right? 🤣😂🤣

What you mean is, he should take everyone else's opinion with a grain of salt......Except for your's, because your's is correct......Right? 🤣😂🤣
Yes, absolutely. (need a sarcasm emoji...)

Meopta Optika6 3-18. Well below your top budget and amazing glass. Will work extremely well for your intended purpose. Just find one with the MRAD RD or MRAD1 RD reticle.