• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggest backpack with frame.

Danattherock

Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    I started off using an old eberlestock gunslinger and last year got a Lo Drag. Both great packs but I'm looking for something to offer more back support when fully loaded. Also occasionally use for rear support under the rifle. For the above reasons wanting a frame pack for the first time. Any brands considered. Thanks for any suggestions.

I started off using an old eberlestock gunslinger and last year got a Lo Drag. Both great packs but I'm looking for something to offer more back support when fully loaded. Also occasionally use for rear support under the rifle. For the above reasons wanting a frame pack for the first time. Any brands considered. Thanks for any suggestions.
    Which gunslinger? There is a fram insert available for the gen 1 gunslinger and I believe a plastic one for gen 2.

Reactions: Danattherock
    Kifaru is the best of the best. It's the gold standard. Honestly you won't buy just one. You'll buy more add one. I've got a nomad2 with a camp bag, guide lid, grab it. For hunting and packing animals. Then I've got a mountain rambler which they don't make anymore which has a built in scabard. I've also got a gun bear which holds a gun or bow for easy access.

I like them so much I bought a hellcat for doing short hikes or scouting areas where I know I'll be back that day. You can couple any bag with a guide lid or other pouches and have a pack specific for you. I'd thought about picking up a regular backpack no frame, like their 22mag just for trips on airplanes or to the in laws. ?

Their customer support is top notch. I wouldn't rule them out.

The first kifaru bag I put no, my buddy grabbed it off the floor and held it while I put my arms through and cinched everything down. He had some weight in it but it wasn't bad, felt like some misc stuff. I went to take it off, and wow was it a lot heavier than I thought. I lifted it and asked how much he had in the pack. He said there is 40lbs of salt in there plus the pack weight. I would have guessed closer to 20lbs when it was on my back. They're awesome! You will testimonials all over the hunting community.

Xdeano

I've been looking for the "perfect" pack as well. I have an unhealthy obsession with packs and have a couple Eberlestocks, a couple Mystery Ranch, and a Stone Glacier. I wish I could combine the convenience of the scabbard on the Eberlestock, the build quality of the Mystery Ranch, and the comfort and weight of the Stone Glacier. What would be awesome is a pack with the ability to accessorize as needed for say a 3 day bivy hunt, or attach a gun scabbard type holder with some room for ammo and some supplies for a shooting comp. Have yet to find one that fits the bill.

Kifaru, hands down. I've used a ton of packs and Kifaru is the best, for me. I've packed entire black bears out using their duplex frame. Ive used mine for patrols, month long field problems, etc. My favorite packs ever.

Thanks guys, will follow up on all suggestions. I've heard of these packs but not seen in person.

The most comfortable packs I've found when loaded aren't external but internal frame packs and they are generally lighter to start with and snug the load up closer to you.

Part of the reason I want the frame is for rear support of the rifle in various orientations. My current packs do not facilitate this very well. Thanks for the advice so far I will follow up on the various suggestions this morning.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    as said previously, if you are looking for a top tier pack

mystery ranch
    kifaru

dont waste you time looking anywhere else

Part of the reason I want the frame is for rear support of the rifle in various orientations. My current packs do not facilitate this very well. Thanks for the advice so far I will follow up on the various suggestions this morning.

It's not what you're asking about, but it's actually a trick I use that might help you - use your PASS leg extensions inside the pack. I've used them inside my pack in the past as an impromptu frame to stiffen the pack up for stages where I needed to shoot off an upright pack. It's not as good as an internal or external frame, but it works. The Bandit I recently switched to is the perect size to work with the 18" extensions in that fashion, too.

I have had many many packs. First: "frame" implies external frame for a lot, but internal frame packs are just as capable of supporting loads. So be sure what you want.

By far my favorite packs now are the brand new, very very very well thought out things from Crossfire. DG16 is full sized, DG3 is somewhat smaller, but also shorter so if taller than about 5'11" may not fit you.

Crossfire main site https://crossfire.com.au/ I forget who the US distributor is, but you can ask them

If not that then from my experience: Kifaru. Then MR, then Erblestock. A friend even has a NICE 6500 for sale so PM me if you might like that and I'll get details, photos, etc.

I have had many many packs. First: "frame" implies external frame for a lot, but internal frame packs are just as capable of supporting loads. So be sure what you want.

By far my favorite packs now are the brand new, very very very well thought out things from Crossfire. DG16 is full sized, DG3 is somewhat smaller, but also shorter so if taller than about 5'11" may not fit you.

Crossfire main site https://crossfire.com.au/ I forget who the US distributor is, but you can ask them

If not that then from my experience: Kifaru. Then MR, then Erblestock. A friend even has a NICE 6500 for sale so PM me if you might like that and I'll get details, photos, etc.

He's DEFINITELY bigger than 5'11".... Heh

Lol, yeah, since 1982 ish. I'm 6'6" 346. Which is actually part of the motivation for the frame pack. At my height I cannot get as stable in some of the low positions as I would like, so I'm thinking outside the box a bit with regards to rear support. Thanks

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    Ah... ha. Then I tend to go hard to the Kifaru. They make a very tall frame, which is supremely adjustable to handle the super tall then. I'd look into that one, and find a local friend who's enough of a backpacker type to help you get it adjusted. It's nearly impossible to do all the fitting yourself; you need someone to see all the straps, the gaps, how it rides on you, to push, bend, tighten, and and tuck things in.

Lol, yeah, since 1982 ish. I'm 6'6" 346. Which is actually part of the motivation for the frame pack. At my height I cannot get as stable in some of the low positions as I would like, so I'm thinking outside the box a bit with regards to rear support. Thanks
    MR offers 3 frame sizes

Little
    Off topic but do y’all know of a frame type system to put in a square range bag. It used to stand up but now it’s falling over.

Saw a few simple eberlestock frame inserts last night. Like $20. Very minimal type frame.

Hey man, the Exo Mountain Gear pack is going to give you everything you want and weighs only 5 lbs. Made in Boise, ID. I've had every pack mentioned here and some not, and I've rid myself of all the others except the Exo. The Titanium external frame will interchange with their bag sizes from 2200, 3500, and 5500 ci depending on your needs. In 2018 mine summited Mt Rainier, Adams, Hood, St. Helens, sustained a 60lb load very comfortably everyday for 15 days straight in high Idaho backcountry, packed out an elk and muley, and is my workout partner on 2 leg days per week (100 lbs of sandbags up the hill or on the elliptical).

Call Steve Speck at Exo Mountain Gear. Great guy, small family ran company. You can find plenty of their videos on YouTube covering their packs and accessories, and reviews and how to's.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDX-BvUQYpYJazOfDU01LWQ
    One whole muley in the 3500. 100lbs in the Exo, 30 on my shoulder.
    20181030_135231.jpg

About 53lbs w/ 2 days of overnight gear (tent, poles, quilt etc.), rain gear, two-days food, 6L of water (for two guys), glass (Vortex 85mm spotter, tripod, pad etc.), both sets of trekking poles, without rifle. Very comfortable, not digging into my shoulders.
    Screenshot_20190124-210410_Drive.jpg

Last edited: