• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggested load for DPMS SASS?

SemperFiDawg

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2008
Dublin, Georgia
I have a DPMS SASS with an 18 in. barrel. I have put almost every conceivable factory load through it and there is no question that it likes 168 gr BTHP the best. FGMM groups around 1 inch and Winchester Supreme is a close second. If I go with a lighter or heavier bullet the groups expand out the further I deviate from the 168 Gr BTHP to around 8 inches with 147 gr Winchester White Box and if I go heavier with 175 Gr I spread out to around 2-3 inches.
I'm going to start trying to reload and have purchased some Sierra 168gr BTHP to start with. Does anyone have any good loads for this bullet in a similar platform?
Thanks in advance for any info.

Re: Suggested load for DPMS SASS?

Are those group sizes at 100, or 200 yards?

Are you limited to factory ammo, or do you reload?

My DPMS .308 shoots Black Hills, red box, 168 grain better than Federal,Gold Medal match, 168 grain and I can cut the group size in half with Handloads, consisting of 155 grain Lapua Scenars, with 46 grains of Varget behind them.

A friend of mine just started playing with his DPMS .308, and he had some pretty good results with Nolser, 155 grain custom competition bullets with Tac powder behind them. I just got 2,000 of the bullets, but, haven't found any Tac locally to try a few loads--yet.

100 yd groups. I've tried BH 168 and 175. Both shot around 2 inches. My SASS is scoped with a USO 3 by 17 SN3. Here's the funny part. I can take my 308 AP4 carbine with a 4 by 32 ACOG and shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yds with it using 147 GR Winchester White Box. Kinda ticks me off that it shoots as well as the SASS or rather the SASS shoots as poorly as the AP 4. I want 0.5 inch 100 yd groups to be satisfied that the SASS was worth the money I have in it. Hoping I can get it by handloading. Seems everyone has a 175 Gr load for their SASS. I just need a good 168 GR load.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are those group sizes at 100, or 200 yards?

My DPMS .308 shoots Black Hills, red box, 168 grain better than Federal,Gold Medal match, 168 grain and I can cut the group size in half with Handloads, consisting of 155 grain Lapua Scenars, with 46 grains of Varget behind them.

A friend of mine just started playing with his DPMS .308, and he had some pretty good results with Nolser, 155 grain custom competition bullets with Tac powder behind them. I just got 2,000 of the bullets, but, haven't found any Tac locally to try a few loads--yet. </div></div>
what length are you seating the 155 scenars at? Im needing a good load for my sass aswell,will reload tonite.

39.5gr of IMR4895, 168SMK, Winchester primer, RA Brass. Velocity 2360fps and is getting 1/2 MOA for me!

Works well in my bolts and semi's!

Terry

Picture of Chornogrpah of this load out of a DPMS!

url]
[/img]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 81sfo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RH4540</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are those group sizes at 100, or 200 yards?

A friend of mine just started playing with his DPMS .308, and he had some pretty good results with Nolser, 155 grain custom competition bullets with Tac powder behind them. I just got 2,000 of the bullets, but, haven't found any Tac locally to try a few loads--yet. </div></div>
what length are you seating the 155 scenars at? Im needing a good load for my sass aswell,will reload tonite. </div></div>

I'd have to find my notes, or actually measure them, but, going from memory, I think they are 2.81". They JUST fit in the magazines.