• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing suggestion for 3 axis dro

Jameskk

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2020
Hi. I am going to buy a 3 axis dro system for my milling lathe.
I have found one, the price is affordable, but the feedbacks are limited.
Does anyone use it or know this dro system?
Thanks in advance.

Suggestion to save yourself some $. Get a two axis dro for x and y. Buy a really good one. Then take an old vernier (we all have a few lying around) and mount it on the quill for your vertical z-axis. Kits to mount verniers are cheap and this lets you invest more in the best 2 axis dro while getting the 3axis readout you want.

Cheers, Sirhr

571D742C-722B-43CC-B3D0-4E23689A9550.jpeg

My dro. Pardon the tape on the vernier... it got moved to the mill when we lost the battery cover!

Cheers, Sirhr

Ben ta 3 kownty fairs, a goat ropin', even seen a bear tho a baseball wonct. But I ain't ever seen this. :)

I, as well, am looking toward a DRO for the mill and then, maybe someday, for the lathe. This idea had never entered my mind. Makes perfect sense, simple and elegant. Felt like someone just enlightened me that I could eat ice cream with a spoon. The depth stop can be used as a fine adjustment dial?

Possibly a knee mount as well.

Thank you much,
MrSmith

Ben ta 3 kownty fairs, a goat ropin', even seen a bear tho a baseball wonct. But I ain't ever seen this. :)

I, as well, am looking toward a DRO for the mill and then, maybe someday, for the lathe. This idea had never entered my mind. Makes perfect sense, simple and elegant. Felt like someone just enlightened me that I could eat ice cream with a spoon. The depth stop can be used as a fine adjustment dial?

Possibly a knee mount as well.

Thank you much,
MrSmith
Up here we call it "Old Famer Smart."

You still use the depth stop to set your depth as a Stop. But you can use it to control your cuts along with the vernier readout.

You can use your tool to touch off on the work and set the zero on the vernier. And there's your depth. Or touch off on the table and there is the height. Easiest $39.99 Z-axis DRO you ever did see.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Hi. I am going to buy a 3 axis dro system for my milling lathe.
I have found one, the price is affordable, but the feedbacks are limited.
Does anyone use it or know this dro system?
Thanks in advance.

Looks like any one of a dozen from China. Over on Hobby-Machinist you'll find lots of DRO threads, might find someone who recognizes yours, but my guess is a couple of factories in China turn out dozens of branded DROs with the same guts. Most seem to be of decent quality. If you're on a budget, I'm sure one of the AliExpress DROs will work fine.

DRO Pros is a US reseller of Chinese DROs. They have a number of good resources on their website. Might be worthwhile poking around there for more information.

Looks like any one of a dozen from China. Over on Hobby-Machinist you'll find lots of DRO threads, might find someone who recognizes yours, but my guess is a couple of factories in China turn out dozens of branded DROs with the same guts. Most seem to be of decent quality. If you're on a budget, I'm sure one of the AliExpress DROs will work fine.

DRO Pros is a US reseller of Chinese DROs. They have a number of good resources on their website. Might be worthwhile poking around there for more information.
Great, thank you