• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestion for a lightweight barrel with 0.750 muzzle?

bmash

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 21, 2018
Zachary, LA
I am looking for a lighter weight barrel contour with muzzle diameter to thread 5/8-24. I found one at Shilen, below:
46 Mag Suppressed
Our #4 contour with a swell back up to .880 from the 16.5"to 19".
19"​
3lbs 3oz.​
Any experience with this one? Any other suggestions or recommendations? Has anybody had one custom made by a quality barrel manufacturer? Of course I can go carbon fiber but they get expensive fast.
(I have several heavy rifles but wanted a lighter bolt action for my waking around and shorter range shots. 260 rem is what I use the most for deer.)

I feel like the obvious answer is a 750 taperless barrel. Preferred barrel blanks sells those.
Depending on the length, a lot of sporter barrels will support a 5/8 x24 thread.

I could use an adaptor and have before but I really prefer direct thread. 750 taper less on their site shows 8# for a 28”. The “light weight” I am going for is less than 3.5#.

I have done this a couple of ways by working with Bartlein who makes all my barrels. As a side note, my barrels are stainless which has some different minimums than carbon steel so my plans accounted for that. Also, my suppressors are all 5/8-24 and I really do not like the 1/2-28 option as it seems too thin to me but to each his own.
1) We developed a minimum custom profile with a muzzle dia of .725 and a finished length on 16.5 inches. Very accurate...1/3 MOA out to 1500 yds
2) Developed a minimum custom profile with a diameter at "E" of .620 and then increase the diameter of the 7/8" of the barrel blank to .730 so I can thread 5/8-24 and have a small shoulder for the suppressor. I use this contour on barrel blanks that are 22" or longer.

I'll have to say I really like my suppressed 6.5 with the 16.5" barrel. Handy in tight cover even with the suppressor on and light as feather if I choose to take the suppressor off

Reactions: bmash
I could use an adaptor and have before but I really prefer direct thread. 750 taper less on their site shows 8# for a 28”. The “light weight” I am going for is less than 3.5#.
That's not correct. They say that the .900 taperless is 4.25lbs at 26". The .750 will obviously be lighter.

The Shilen you posted is for a 460 bore finished at 19". That isn't gonna work for a 260 Rem.

I have done this a couple of ways by working with Bartlein who makes all my barrels. As a side note, my barrels are stainless which has some different minimums than carbon steel so my plans accounted for that. Also, my suppressors are all 5/8-24 and I really do not like the 1/2-28 option as it seems too thin to me but to each his own.
1) We developed a minimum custom profile with a muzzle dia of .725 and a finished length on 16.5 inches. Very accurate...1/3 MOA out to 1500 yds
2) Developed a minimum custom profile with a diameter at "E" of .620 and then increase the diameter of the 7/8" of the barrel blank to .730 so I can thread 5/8-24 and have a small shoulder for the suppressor. I use this contour on barrel blanks that are 22" or longer.

I'll have to say I really like my suppressed 6.5 with the 16.5" barrel. Handy in tight cover even with the suppressor on and light as feather if I choose to take the suppressor off
Is there a reference I can use when I call them? I was thinking 18 to 20”, but If 16.5“ is working that would be awesome with the ultra 7. That is what I’m looking for!
(have the weight by any chance?)

Last edited:
That's not correct. They say that the .900 taperless is 4.25lbs at 26". The .750 will obviously be lighter.

The Shilen you posted is for a 460 bore finished at 19". That isn't gonna work for a 260 Rem.
I see what you are saying from that link - thanks. Fluted that could get close. I used their page for building a barrel with 750 taperless. It showed 128 oz under additional information. That must be some generic number or something.

For Shilen, where did you get 460 bore from? It says it is a #4 contour and must be 375 or less. (I think the 46 is the contour number.)

The weight was about 3.1 lbs IIRC but do not seem to have the actual weight of the blank recorded before I threaded, chambered and installed on the gun.

A big piece of barrel blank weight is in the shank and I run a 2" "B" length on all my contours and you could drop to a 1.75" to keep the bare minimum but I would call them and have a conversation about what you want to do, the caliber and action you are using. They are very helpful but the lead time will get your attention :)

I got the idea from a 16.5" rifle that was built and featured by Sin City Precision some years back and I adopted the concept into a light weight hunting rifle. Personally, I have had enough carbon fiber barrels to know that I did not want any more of them.

For Shilen, where did you get 460 bore from? It says it is a #4 contour and must be 375 or less. (I think the 46 is the contour number.)
I saw 46 mag suppressed and (incorrectly) assumed. Didn't even think about 46 just being a contour number.