• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for 100 to 200 Rimfire Comps

downhill

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2010
Texas
Guys I direct the Service Rifle and CMP Programs at the local gun club. We are limited to 200yds. Of late I've got several shooters wanting to start 100 to 200 rimfire comps. iwas needing info on targets and proceedures. I'm thinking all slowfire(to allow for single shots), offhand(great lesson in humility), sitting(sling for support), and prone(w/sling also). Was considering the NRA 300 reduced for 100 target. Any suggestions or corrections would be great.

Re: Suggestions for 100 to 200 Rimfire Comps

Sounds like a 100-200 yard 3 Position match. How competetive? I think the skill levels of the shooters should decide the target size. people will lose interest very quickly if everyone is cleaning the target but 100 and especially 200 yards off hand is a pain in the arse for me personally, sitting isn't much better but shows much greater improvements over shorter time frames, while prone sling supported is by far the easiest of the three positions and even then it is difficult for me. My skill level in these positions is very low as I'm a newb to anything not benchrest or prone w/ bi-pod.

Even off the bench or from prone supported 200 yards can be more than a challenge to a great many of shooters especially if there is any wind factored into the equation. However there are plenty of shooters who have much more practice and are therefore usually more proficient than myself who may find what I think is incredibly challenging no more than a simple walk in the park.

I would think multiple divisions for skill level would be most appropriate if there is enough participants to keep the matches afloat.

And if it were me I'd say that the three positions be fired at three targets to better allow the shooter to track their improvements. Chosing the targets will be the difficult part but as the match director you have the option to change the targets used as you see fit. So if whatever is chosen is too difficult you may choose to use something larger and visa versa.

I am unaware of if you know what we use here, but for 100 yards we use the TQ4 and at 200 the A21 is utilized. These work very well but the people here that compete shoot either bench or prone using a front rest most of the time (with one sling shooter being the exception). So, these targets may not be ideal for the less stable positions you have planned.

I love the idea of "mini-palma" shooting which is slung up smallbore meant to resemble practice for palma comps at less cost and to preserve barrels. It is fired prone w/ sling and irons as its full sized counterpart but is limited to 22lr at 300 yards. This is very difficult but just a great example of what can be done. But because of your range restrictions you may limit it to 100 or 200 yards instead of the 300. You may even look into F-Class style shoots if that interests the shooters at all.

Honestly, I would try to pass out a quick poll at the next match you guys host and see exactly how many shooters are interested in what types of comps for rimfire. From there you can try to accomidate the most people possible. Or of course you can just set something up and use trial and error until you figure out what works best.

If I were to create a match right here right now, this is what it would look like:

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">"Beginner" 3P Class 50-100 Yards</span></span>
- 15 Rounds Off Hand @ 50 Yards TQ4
- 15 Rounds Sitting @ 50 Yards TQ4
- 15 Rounds Prone w/Sling @ 100 Yards A-21

<span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">"Expert" 3P Class 100-200 Yards</span></span>
- 25 Rounds Off Hand @ 100 Yards TQ4
- 25 Rounds Sitting @ 100 Yards TQ4
- 25 Rounds Prone w/Sling @ 200 Yards A-21

This would let shooters such as myself who need a ton of work at off-hand and sitting to nurture my abilities at a shorter range with fellow less capable shooters instead of getting trampled on by the guys who shoot very well in those events.

It also keeps the experienced guys in company with other shooters so there isn't a lack of competition. If you could though, I would also suggest incorperating some comps for people who have no interest in shooting in "unstable" positions. Meaning a comp for prone bi-pod shooters or bench rest guys.

Hope this helps you in your decision, and sorry if it was redundant in any way. I started typing shortly after the OP was posted, but am just now finishing after other matters stole my attention
crazy.gif

Good luck!

-Dylan