• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for 300 mag components.

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I picked up a new 300 Win Mag yesterday and need to start loading for it. All I am set up for is 308/45ACP. I am a Lapua brass lover but it seems there is none for 300WM. I am looking for suggestions on what components I should start looking for. What is the most durable and consistent brass for this gun? I imagine the repeated use of Lapua 308 brass will be a thing of the past for me when I start loading for WM? Any tricks pertaining to WM I should be aware of?

Re: Suggestions for 300 mag components.

hydro556. Just get into the 300 win mag arena myself. I love my Lapua brass for the 308 and 338 LM. But for 300 wm not so readily avail. I am loading it with winchester brass. Still waiting for the base to arrive so I can go out and test it. Good luck.

What bullet and weight are you wanting to use? And what is the primary use of the rifle- hunting, tactical?

I personally use Nosler brass for all my 300 WM loads. I have 6 reloads on most of my cases. I had to anneal after the 5th loading. The primer pockets are still good on them. I don't push my loads over max to prolong case life. Nosler cases in the 308 Win seem to get loose primer pockets after a few reloads, but I have not seen this with the 300 WM brass. Win brass is also a decent brass to use.

If you are wanting to max the case life, I would neck size only after the first firing. This will keep you from working the case head above the belt too much. With a Nosler case, I use Redding .334 bushings for .002" neck tension, and a .332 for .004" neck tension. I'd recommend .003 or .004" neck tension for neck sizing.

Powder choices depend on bullet weight. For the lighter bullets (165 grains or less) I'd recommend IMR 4350 powder (or similar burn rate). For 165-200 grains, I'd recommend R22 (or similar). For the heavy bullets 208+ grains, I'd use H1000, R25 burn rates. This will optimize the velocity. I have had good results with load development using these powders in these weight ranges.
Also, stick with the Magnum primers.
Hope this helps!

Chad

Get a pile of Winchester brass, its GTG. Match prep.

Redding Comp seater with Type S bushing neck sizing die, figure what bushing you need. Redding body die. Bump shoulder back every 3-4 firings, other than that neck size only.

Another pile of 210 Berger VLDs or 208 AMAXs

Another pile of Fed 215Ms

RL22, Retumbo, H1000, or RL25

I have heard good things about the 208 AMAX. Does anyone know what the BC for it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard good things about the 208 AMAX. Does anyone know what the BC for it? </div></div>

driving a .300WM well will get you chasing yourself until you find what your barrel likes....shoot em fast and the barrel will leave you quick, remember you are torching off almost double .308 case capacity...mostly i have found bullets that are more forgiving make the beer taste better at the end of the day.....

I like Winchester brass, 200 SMK and ABs, Re22. I have heard good things about the 208 AMAX and H1000 as well, but my gun shoots sweet as-is and I have no drive to screw with what works, I like to shoot much more than I do load development.

My oldest brass is on its 7th reload, I have done nothing but neck size and trim and it runs fine.

Winchester brass is good. For a 185/190 Berger/SMK, H4350SC/N-160/RE19.
210 BERGER/SMK, N-165, H4831SC, RE-22, H-1000. I always use Federal 210GM
I full length resize but only bump the shoulder .001 to .0015 Anneal every other firing.
Money in the bank............

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Criver- just curious, why do you use a 210M and not a magnum primer? </div></div>

+1. I tried 210Ms in my 7mmRMs, and the ES went to hell.

i just switched from federal brass to winchester and am more than happy. even after the second firing the federal brass was showing signs of case head separation. i am on my fifth loading of the winchester brass with no signs of any head separation. i am neck sizing only and it still feeds just fine.

i am running 210 berger vld's, 76.2 h1000, federal 215's. i am getting about 2950 fps with a 26" barrel. i have no pressure signs in my rifle in 90* temp.

Sorry guys. Intended use is long range hunting. I hope to get out west or to Alaska in the coming years. I wanted something bigger than 308 and found a good deal on the Win Mag. Ideally I wanted a short mag, but I am going to try this out. As Bolt mentioned, I want to keep the loads as mild as possible for barrel life. All component selection is wide open. I want MOA accuracy to the max ethical range of the rifle and shooter.

Always got killer Chrono numbers and groups......... I shoot 1000 benchrest and you see a lot of 300 Acklys (300 weatherby improved) and everyone uses fed210gm. It just works. If your loading for hunting in extreme cold weather I would go with the 215

Norma brass. RE22 fuel. Rem Mag or WLRM primers. NO size and bullet seat via Wison dies. Nosler brass also solid.