• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Suggestions for a hand held ballistics computer?

exhogflyer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
Near Albany, NY, USA
Thanks guys....I'm looking to purchase a handheld ballistics computer/ system.I'm going to use it for various calibers, in the field at different ranges.Would like something that doesn't require an engineering degree or weeks of study.Any recommendations on what works good or is being used? Thanks in advance...

Re: Suggestions for a hand held ballistics computer?

I did look at that, but noted that it's ONLY for 308.I need something for all the calibers I shoot....

.300WM and .338LM coming out soon and I imagine that others will be developed. They are concentrating on filling the need of the military first but if demand is there I am sure they will consider other calibers.
As for simplicity goes it can't get much easier than the FDAC

Has anyone used bulletflight? it's the app for the iphone by knights armament? just curious, don't flame me!

it is good, simple and clutter free.

My son has a droid x phone and I bought a "APP"called shooter for $10 from the android website I think, and the program works great you can have many different rifles pre programed with the different loads then when your at you range you can type in/ or the phone will enter attmoshere conditions,enter whats ranges you want calculated and it will spit out a chart with all the come ups and windage dope... works great seems to be right on depending how accurate your inputs are...
hope this helps check it out/

If you're not in a position to pick up a smart phone that has an app available, e.g. iPhone, Android phone, consider springing $200 for an iPod Touch - basically the iPhone w/o the phone. It's a very nice device for other things too. I use mine to check email (not so often to send though), browse websites, read books with the Kindle reader, etc.

or just spend the dough and buy a Kestrel with the ballistic engine. Everything in one spot, and they are almost ready for release.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or just spend the dough and buy a Kestrel with the ballistic engine. Everything in one spot, and they are almost ready for release.

</div></div>

I didn't know that was coming...THAT could very well be what I'm looking for. Any idea on when it's coming and where I could read about it?

The FDAC is coming out with an XR system at the SHOT Show, which will cover calibers used for longer-range systems. See this thread:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...926#Post2258926

If the approach of the FDAC interests you, but doesn't cover precisely the calibers/loads you need, make your own Density Altitude Data Card, which you can use with a Kestrel, or with a watch with a pressure sensor like the Casio Pathfinder and a cheap thermometer.

Faster in the field, and no computer to go dead, carry batteries for, etc.

Ballisticomp from JBM looks interesting, but I don't know when they will be available.

ballistic computers and software produce a "theoretical" trajectory. to use these effectively, you will have to measure the actual muzzle velocity of the particular ammo you are using.
using the velocity along with temperature and pressure you can use the software to generate a drop/drift table. the values in this table are "theoretical" until you test your ammo in the field and verify/edit the table. it is best to record the actual data in sniper log book. you must repeat this process for as many different temperatures as possible. other data you should record is how the altitude and humidity affect the trajectory. ultimately, the sniper log book IS YOUR BALLISTIC CALCULATOR. it does not require batteries and will operate under conditions batteries cannot support. just use a permanent marker.

gadgets are no substitute for field practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a summary of some of the factors which affect the accuracy of ballistic programs, see:

Sources of Ballistic Program Inaccuracies</div></div>

Good read

TAG

I use the Bullet Flight Mil. version it works well with my 338LM, with anything keep in mind it’s only as good as what info you put into it.

Also I consider this program user friendly and fast, to work with for getting info

compete longrange F/TR and a current sniper for a Gov agency. I have the Ipod touch with the KAC bullet flight 3.0 military version. Outstanding and assisted on by Bryan Litz. I will let the unit speak for its self. You can put multiple guns on it and there is nothing it wont do, cheap too. I-Pod $198 and software $30 through I tunes. Uses PRICELESS