• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suggestions for a Suppressor interchangeable with 5.65, 7.62, 45 acp, and 9mm

KaRwithaScar

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2019
Hello,
Im looking into getting a suppressor and would primarily use it on and AR-15, Glock 19, Scar 17 and an FNX45. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

I had previously started a forum mentioning a similar question but relative to a specific short barreled AR 15. I couldn't find that forum until after I started this new one...sorry to those who answered me on that one...I'm new to forums, this being my first. Thanks

A Couple things about the can we're dropping in January... It will do everything you're asking, and more, with better accessory support, performance, and features than the Hybrid. You can hear us talk more about it in Episode 21 - Dwell Time Podcast when we used the can in a trophy bison hunt in November. You'll be able to buy one in less than 3 weeks.

There's also a sneak peek of the new can in this video!

you should get seperate cans for 45 and 30 cal, otherwise your 556 wont be as quiet as it can be

A Couple things about the can we're dropping in January... It will do everything you're asking, and more, with better accessory support, performance, and features than the Hybrid. You can hear us talk more about it in Episode 21 - Dwell Time Podcast when we used the can in a trophy bison hunt in November. You'll be able to buy one in less than 3 weeks.

The flare on the end cap end kind of looks like your Optimus, is this Bushwhacker 45 user serviceable like your Optimus?

Is it called the CNDM?

Just a personal opinion so take it for what it's worth.......

Go with separate rifle and pistol cans, especially if you're running on a pistol instead of a PCC.

A hybrid is a pretty freakin big can and I wouldn't want to shoot one on a pistol, my only experience with a hybrid 46 was on a 300blk sbr running subs and it was uncomfortable without ear pro.

A 30 cal rifle can and a 45 pistol can is the route that I'd go (my 30 cal can was approved a couple months ago and I'll be buying a 45 can after the first of the year)

Imo you'll get much better use out of 2 separate cans that do their individual jobs well than one can that does 2 jobs very....meh....

Again, your money, your time, ultimately your decision.....just passing on some food for thought.

Reactions: Gtscotty
I'd really consider getting an Omega 9k and a 5.56 or .30 Saker to start with... And forget about the .45 for now, you may wind up like me and realize it's not really worth it, that 9mm and the Omega 9k is good enough. .30 Saker can come with additional caps, including 5.56, but know the dedicated can will always sound and perform better than a one size fits all. Sometimes significantly better.

Capitol Armory and Sico have sales every summer and you can probably get both of these plus a free .22 can for $1k or thereabouts? I got two Sakers plus ASR mounts and muzzle devices for $1300.

Good luck either way. FWIW, the .22 cans get used the most IME...

I have a Hybrid that I have owned for several years. Good can. Don't use it much but it works as designed when I do.. The main problem with the can is that you have to buy a lot of extras--mounts, spacers, etc,-to use it with all of your platforms. You will spend a good bit more on top of the price of the can. Also, while it is a quiet can, in any category, there is a can (even among ScilencerCo's offerings) that is a little quieter. I suspect that is the case with any multiple-caliber can.

Hybrid if needed but you're better off getting a 7.62 can to cover 5.56 and 7.62 and a 45can to cover 45 and 9. I have a Hybrid and it's too damn heavy to shoot on a pistol well. Can it be done, absolutely, but next to a Rugged Obsidian45 I would pick the Obsidian every time.

When I first purchased my SiCo Hybrid, I bought it with the intent of not purchasing a dedicated pistol silencer, after shooting ~500 rds of 9mm (with a 9mm endcap) thru it on a CZ SP01 Urban Grey, I found it was much to large for a pistol. I then looked into the DA Ghost45.

As for rifle calibers, I find the Hybrid works well, with the 46 cal bore aperture, allows for lower back pressure and blow back on a gas gun, you do lose some suppression, but IMO the slower cyclical rate of the BCG, and lower blow back is worth it. As of right now, my Hybrid lives on a PCC, with the intent of it living permanently on a Encore chambered in .460 S&W.

I just ordered the new Bushwhacker 46 from Griffin Armament.

I'm kind if committed to there taper mount attachment devices for a bunch of my other cans. Even using their "Plan A" mounts in non-Griffin cans, so that I can use any can on any barrel with a GA mount on it.

Take a look at the Bushwhacker. It has a lot of features and comes with almost everything you will need to actually use it dual purpose. It is also user serviceable. To me, being able to put a smaller end cap on and use it fairly quietly on a 556 or 308 was a good idea. Also only needed to get the correct pistol piston to be able to use it on any pistol is pretty sweet. They kept the weight pretty low as well without using aluminum. I'm not a fan of aluminum due to how I clean my cans, so to me that was a big plus.

I've also had good customer service experiences when calling GA to ask questions about mounts and such.

• Love
Reactions: GRIFFIN_ARMAMENT
Just a personal opinion so take it for what it's worth.......

Go with separate rifle and pistol cans, especially if you're running on a pistol instead of a PCC.

A hybrid is a pretty freakin big can and I wouldn't want to shoot one on a pistol, my only experience with a hybrid 46 was on a 300blk sbr running subs and it was uncomfortable without ear pro.

A 30 cal rifle can and a 45 pistol can is the route that I'd go (my 30 cal can was approved a couple months ago and I'll be buying a 45 can after the first of the year)

Imo you'll get much better use out of 2 separate cans that do their individual jobs well than one can that does 2 jobs very....meh....

Again, your money, your time, ultimately your decision.....just passing on some food for thought.
Would you say I could get a suppressor that will work well on both 9mm and 45 acp and then one for rifle that would work well for 5.56 and 308 ?

Reactions: Kayakfish1
No, it’s impossible. It would be fatally compromised. Now if you don’t mind heavy, long and loud, you could get a 308 can and a 45 can.

No, it’s impossible. It would be fatally compromised. Now if you don’t mind heavy, long and loud, you could get a 308 can and a 45 can.
and then why cant I use the 308 can on a 5.56 and the 45 can on my 9mm??
Im just learning about suppressos but cant you buy inserts to use on smaller calibers?

No, inserts to change caliber would be a second silencer per the ATF. And you can use 7.62 on 5.56 and 45 on 9mm but I’m both cases it will be longer than a similarly performing can meant for the caliber. But it’s common.

Pistol caliber cans are lightly built and typically designed to come apart at home for cleaning. They use a spring and piston to increase recoil to cycle the action. A rifle silencer won’t allow a pistol to cycle. They are much heavier and more heavily built.

No, inserts to change caliber would be a second silencer per the ATF. And you can use 7.62 on 5.56 and 45 on 9mm but I’m both cases it will be longer than a similarly performing can meant for the caliber. But it’s common.

Pistol caliber cans are lightly built and typically designed to come apart at home for cleaning. They use a spring and piston to increase recoil to cycle the action. A rifle silencer won’t allow a pistol to cycle. They are much heavier and more heavily built.
Ok. makes sense. Thanks

If you truly want a one can solution the Griffin Bushwhacker 46 is the way to go. Your best bet is a dedicated rimfire can, a .45 pistol can and a .308 can. That covers all your bases for the most part without having to swap stuff out if you want to take multiple firearms to the range at the same time. Obviously, that is a much more expensive option though.

Your best bet is a dedicated rimfire can, a .45 pistol can and a .308 can.

What he said. The 22 needs to be able to be taken apart for cleaning. The 45 will be bigger and longer than necessary for the 9mm, but the extra volume CAN lead to better suppression on the 9mm (depends on the can design and other factors). It also depends on whether best sound suppression is your goal, or more compact size. Same thing goes for the 30-cal and 556...

I personally have a factory made 22 (SWR Spectre II), a Form1 homemade 30-cal that uses the Dead-Air KeyMo mount and Sandman changeable end caps, and a Form1 homemade 45-cal that uses the Liberty booster/piston or direct thread adapters (it can also use the Griffin booster and adapters). In my case, performance was more important than size, but I also used Ti for the build and am able to keep the size and weight manageable on the 45 can to use it for 9mm. And my 30 is stupid quiet with 300blk subs, dit’s great with 308, and takes the bite off 556 without too much blowback in my DI guns.

You WILL find that, like anything else in your safe, suppressors tend to start multiplying once you get one...

What he said. The 22 needs to be able to be taken apart for cleaning. The 45 will be bigger and longer than necessary for the 9mm, but the extra volume CAN lead to better suppression on the 9mm (depends on the can design and other factors). It also depends on whether best sound suppression is your goal, or more compact size. Same thing goes for the 30-cal and 556...

I personally have a factory made 22 (SWR Spectre II), a Form1 homemade 30-cal that uses the Dead-Air KeyMo mount and Sandman changeable end caps, and a Form1 homemade 45-cal that uses the Liberty booster/piston or direct thread adapters (it can also use the Griffin booster and adapters). In my case, performance was more important than size, but I also used Ti for the build and am able to keep the size and weight manageable on the 45 can to use it for 9mm. And my 30 is stupid quiet with 300blk subs, dit’s great with 308, and takes the bite off 556 without too much blowback in my DI guns.

You WILL find that, like anything else in your safe, suppressors tend to start multiplying once you get one...
Yes im sure my wife is afraid of them multiplying in my safe :) but on the serious end im not wanting to get buried in a ton of expense with this...thats why im trying to do thorough homework first.

Im getting some feedback saying that any 45 can may cause issues from be oversized for 9mm...so im working through the options with that.

Thats bullshit....any properly designed 45 bored can will suppress 9mm fine albeit louder than a 9mm can

Glad to hear that

I also have a hybrid. It's big for a handgun can obviously but it works decent for what it is. I have shot mine side by side 20-30 other cans and it's been hosted by 9mm-338lapua.

On ar's it surprisingly does pretty well with a 9mm endcap.

Bolt guns sure it works but not as quiet as purpose built rifle cans.

Mine loves being on my 9mm ar and my p227 45.

As others have pointed out, the true cost of ownership is high with a hybrid if you buy everything accessory wise. I got everything at cost and can tell you just get a 9mm endcap. You get a tad more suppression with the 5.56endcap with an AR but not enough imo to jump for another endcap.

The anchor brakes are worthless imo unless I'm shooting a caliber above 300 win mag in which case the hybrid doesn't do so well sound wise compared again to my purpose built rifle cans but it will take recoil off.

If you do a hybrid get your qd mount of choice and skip the direct thread attachments and the only thing left you need is a booster for 9mm and 45...

Last but not least....silencerco "glued" the outer sleeve of the hybrid and omega on. I'm not sure if they still do this or not but everyone I know that has one (3 of us in my group) all of ours have come unglued. It's no big deal because on the hybrid that sleeve just holds the serial number it is not structural. The sleeve can't go anywhere because it's help in between the end cap and a shoulder on the rear of the can. Full disclosure...

Also Friends don't let friends by Q that is all ?.

20190130_170230.jpg