• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Night Vision suggestions for an inexpensive Thermal or night vision for a racoon killing rig

giannid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
I've got corn coming up in the field that the raccoons are going to destroy if I don't thin them out a bit. I've already got a Trijicon Thermal and Pulsar scanner for Coyote rig. Unfortunately, ammo is too expensive to shoot raccoons with a 308.

I'm looking to set up a Ruger 10/22 rimfire as a coon gun. Want to put night vision or a thermal on the gun for the task on hand. Really want to stay under $1000 for the optic. Really don't know what to buy and looking for suggestions. Not opposed to buying something used if I find the right deal. Most importantly, I don't want any junk. What do you guys suggest I buy?

A QD mount for your thermal, or sell it and buy a thermal that has different rifle profile zeroing capabilities, with a QD mount.
How many coons do you plan to shoot ?
I know ammo is expensive, but how much 308 ammo can you buy for $1,000 ?
SJC

Not even junk thermal out there for under $1000. Get a junk NV, or a ton of 308 ammo.

We have a serious coon problem here, and I have been slaying them with a helmet mounted PVS-14 and an IR laser. The nice part about this is, its NOT on the gun, meaning you can use it for coyote hunting, night hiking, start gazing, or whatever else as well. Your wife/girlfriend will like the stargazing with it. They are just plain cool toys. I use mine at least once a week since getting it this spring. Because you get so much use out of it, you might consider expanding your budget on the purchase a little?

In your position, spending minimum money necessary, I'd buy:

Bump helmet ~$200
RHNO II mount ~$120 for mil surplus
PVS-14 with Photonis Echo tube ~2500
TNVC Steiner TOR Mini $239
Cheapo IR illuminator ~ ?? Maybe a T20 or something like that.

With the above gear plus the thermal handheld, you would be murderous. Unfair disproportionately gratuitous coon slaying would commence.

Check out JRH Enterprises for the PVS-14 if you consider this route. I bought from them, customer service blew me away.

A QD mount for your thermal, or sell it and buy a thermal that has different rifle profile zeroing capabilities, with a QD mount.
How many coons do you plan to shoot ?
I know ammo is expensive, but how much 308 ammo can you buy for $1,000 ?
SJC
This.
Load up some Hornady 110 vmax bullets in your .308 and watch raccoon chunks fly in the thermal.

Cheapest NV/thermal route is probably a Sighmark Wraith mounted to the 10/22….$500ish but will be klunky….find em with the thermal and shoot em with the NV.

Or bestest thermal without spending much more money is to add a top rail to the 10/22 and as one of the responders mentioned above use one of the other zeros for the Trijicon for the .22 and just swap it back and forth….I used to do this amongst rifles before I added a second thermal and it worked. Just have to have the QD mount which a stock Trijicon should have.

Or just find em with the thermal scanner and shoot with a standard day scope while lighting em up with a flashlight….mounted on scope via one of the tube mounts or on the weapon if you have a rail works best.

Dogproof traps. Like $10/apiece, get a couple dozen. Not near as fun, but probably more efficient.

Bingo. Coondagger traps are my favorite. Bit of dog food covered in lobster oil you will have a coon a night in each trap. Easy to set and work with too.