• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for an 'Updated Classic' 7PRC build

MTMagpie

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2023
Montana
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to long range/precision shooting - shot older hunting rifles my whole life. I'm looking at buying/building a 7PRC as my new setup, but am looking for something that fits the classic blued/walnut look with modern updates and performance - a bit of an oddity in most of the new setups I see. I'm primarily a western hunter (antelope out to 500yd), though I'd like something for fun range days out to 1k yds. Current setup is a Ruger M77 from 1972 in 280rem that shoots 0.75 MOA, but it's old and I just want something different. I haven't shot factory ammo in years, so I'll be reloading for whatever I end up with.

Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone here has any suggestions on where I should begin, individual components you suggest, etc.

I'm trying to keep the build/rifle to <$2500 without glass/accessories, and here are some of the things I'm looking for:
  • Rifle chambered in 7PRC.
  • Probably a 24in barrel. No brake, but threaded for possible suppressor in the future.
  • Action and barrel blued. I'd be okay with black cerakoted or similar - just want to keep it classy looking.
  • Stock or chassis of primarily walnut or at least attempts to look classic, though I'd like an adjustable cheek riser if possible.
  • (Not a real part of the build but...) Needs to end up shooting as precisely or better than my current setup.
  • If I could keep the rifle under 9.0lbs before glass, that'd be great.
This all came about after seeing the Sako 100 and loving the blend of classic aesthetics and modern functions. Unfortunately, that's out of my budget and not chambered in 7PRC...

Thanks in advance for any advice!

McMillan's McWoody/McWalnut comes to mind. Modern features, but classic look.

Screenshot_20231001_200633_Samsung Internet.jpg

IMG_1693.jpeg

So here is what I did. I was in the same boat and ended up with a manners UC for the classic checkered stock. Defiance action and a proof 22” prefit. Rifle is 9lbs on the nose as pictured and thus far has produce 5 shot groups @ 0.350” with factory hornady 175eldx. I’ve got some ADG brass loaded with 175 nosler ABLR I will have to report back on performance.

I’ll likely never do it, but a McWoody Classic, Bighorn LA w/mag bolt face, BDL bottom metal and something like 7mm Mag and a .375 Wby. barrels (a couple Bartleins, spun up by Bugholes), cerakoted black would ring my bell.

I did notice that the Powerball was up to $960 million the other day, so there hope……

Check out the Foundation Revelation stock. Super classy looking and doesn’t require bedding. Might be a bit to $$$ and heavy for your desires though.

I do like that Foundation a lot! If only it was the same price as a decent rifle on its own!

Not all wood but definitely a blend of new and old styling in my eyes.

That's an interesting system, though I think it's a little too "modern" for what I'm looking for. It's like a couple steps more modern than the WOOX chassis.

I like the looks of the Woox Exactus, but damn it's heavy! And I haven't really seen reviews anywhere except their own social media.