• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions for caliber change

MD2Colo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
Littleton, CO
Ok, I have my 7mm Mag elk gun which I'm thinking about having rechambered to something a tad larger.
I have a 300WSM, 308, 223. Kinda don't want the expense of a 338LM or 338NM but I would like to have a straight cannon to mess around with.
300WM doesn't seem worth it since I have the short mag, so what would you guys recommend as a caliber to go a step above 300wsm?

Prediction-
Everyone will say 338LM.
I'm not against it and I do handload, so ammo would be SOMEWHAT cheaper. Maybe a mk13 clone chambered in 338LM?
Could be cool.

Thoughts?

Re: Suggestions for caliber change

So you want something with the "shock and awe" factor of a .338, but you don't want to pay for it? Are you hoping to achieve something ballistically with this, or is it just something to show off to your friends?

see your point
yah, pretty much goofin off with this.

I guess I am willing to pay for the caliber, now that you mention it

definitely not going crazy, as in 408 or something like that

300 RUM

Berger has those new 230 grainers and Hornady has the new 225's. Both have BC's in the .7 area. Going 3050-3100 fps they'll keep up with the 338's with less recoil.

do a 338 edge, better balistics than the lapua and way less expensive. Simply neck up some 300RUM and you are done then a gain a 300 win mag with heavies will get you close to 2000yds.

I repost at least part of this about once a month:

about cost of use:

338 calculations for my cost of use
once fired brass 1.50 -----------------.17
300 SMK ---------------------------.50-------- (with 250 gr blem bullets @ .15 less)
powder by the 8lb--------------------.25
primer-----------------------------.05
barrel wear-------------------------.33
total-------------------------------1.30 per squeeze-------about the same as shooting 308 with FGMM---- realistically nowhere near that 5.00 mark

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when you really get down to the hard numbers the 338 does not have to be that expensive to shoot -- I would expect barrel burners like 7mm STW or rum would actually end up more per squeeze

rechambering a 7 mag is not the answer though - use an action designed for this class of cartridge