• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Suggestions for first coyote hunt?

Beastinisgr8

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
I am going coyote hunting this Saturday and am looking for advice.
I plan on using a primos double cottontail caller and leftover meat to bring them in. I'll be using my Varmint ar15 in .223 any suggestions on how else to prepare etc. is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks

Re: Suggestions for first coyote hunt?

Set up with the sun at your back and a good view down wind if one tries to circle. Make that call sound like that rabbit has his testes in a vice.

Depending on what kind of meet it is, whole animal or left over table scraps. You may try and get it out the evening before if possible, and stake it down or cage it so they can't take it and run. I've used deer carcass before and it was great, also used leasers cattle (spotted a dead cow in our pasture) showed up the next morning and got two around 250-300yrds before the other two made it into the trees. Make sure you get there early, be patient, and don't limit yourself to just one set. Make sure you have a couple of other places to go set up.

What part of the US?
Make sure you are scent free!

It will be in Oklahoma. And planned on left over table scraps..
Is there a specific scent i should wear? I will be in the woods with a max 300yd field ahead and another area is around 200yds. It's over 200 acres but these are the biggest cleared.

I've had days I wore jeans and a dark colored shirt and layed prone under a tree in the shade(sun to my back). I hunt out in western OK around Minco, where exactly will you be? As far as cover scent goes, just grab a bottle of Tinks floor blend odor eliminator(bass pro and academy carry it). Its worked for me deer and coyote hunting. Don't get to wound up about the latest and greatest cammo/scent killing clothes. Men have been killin stuff in jeans/overalls/flannel shirts for years. Just make sure you have your setup right.

Thanks! That is exactly what i planned to do lay prone under trees. I will be in chandler and I will pick that up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beastinisgreat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">any suggestions </div></div>

Bring a coyote.

I've got some friends out around chandler, should do well. Look me up after you get done this weekend, let me know how it went. I'm always looking for a hunting partner, hopefully that doesn't sound to weird.

Ok will do I have never been so going with someone would help.

Once you get them used to bait and baiting area they will keep coming. When you get the crows in that is like a invite for yotes as well. Since your bait will b new to them attempt calling first. Dogs here in Michigan are extremely weary of new food scents. Be ready sometimes dogs will emerge before you put your call away when hungary. Good luck. Keep us updated

Ive been coyote hunting for a few years now. Few things i have learned.

Coyotes have excellent sight. They will try and find you before you see them..

They blend in very well and they know the land a hell of alot better than anyone else.

They will usually come in from downwind and stop few hundred yards away(terrain dictated) and try and spot the wounded or dead animal.

9 times out of 10 they will not come in from where you expect.

Use cover very well. if any skin is showing make sure its in a shadow.

Stay low and keep gun ready.

If they have not shown up after about 15-25 minutes of calling move to a different spot.

You cannot cover all your scent so your setup should always be to where you have the best bet of them circling down wind. As far as I am concerned a coyote is about as hard a game as there is to hunt. They have the eyes of an eagle, the nose of a bear and the ears of a deer. Coyote hunting can be as easy or as hard as you make it. You may go a long time and never bag one and then one day you put everything together and things just click. I have almost given up on all hunting except for predator hunting. Stay concealed, dont move because they will pick up on it and use the wind to your favor. You will never fool there nose.

infinite patience helps when coyote hunting. Could be why I am so shitty at it!

Well I saw a few but at that time they saw me and were off maybe better luck next time!!

Don't worry about scent, you may fool a yote in many ways but you won't fool his nose

Find a spot where if they are going to smell you make them come out in the open to get downwind. To do this you got set up according to the wind and terrian

motivatorcf62f99d7d676dd7d1476e677e797eebcb4afcb5.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: txgunnertx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Find a spot where if they are going to smell you make them come out in the open to get downwind. To do this you got set up according to the wind and terrian </div></div>

+1 All good advice, I also like to have a sqeeker hooked to the forend of my rifle, sometimes it will call the dogs a little closer if they hang up on you, and you can also use it to get them to stop running if they sense something is not right. The key word there is "sometimes"

It has saved the day for me a few times, I also use a moving decoy, if you want to do it on the cheap, hang a feather from a piece of fishing line off the end of a 3 ft. stick let it dangle. Anything moving near the call takes some pressure off you.

Any movement, sound, or playing the wind wrong and your toast! If it was easy it would'nt be a challenge! Good luck!