• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Suggestions for June trip to MT/WY/ID/UT/CO/NM

bobke

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2010
    Hill Country, Texas
    Am going to take a trip in early June with initial destination about an hour north of Missoula, but will have time on return leg to south TX to try and locate some prime fishing territory or guides, in Idaho, Montana or anywhere along the route home. Have a week/10 days or so to play with. Never been to area, so hopeful y’all might be able to provide some suggestions for guides, areas, float trips, etc. Food and beverage recommendations also welcome. Appreciate any guidance offered. Thx.

From Missoula, head west on US12. Stop when you see something cool because the road is twisty, watch the speed limit. You will be traveling beside a very nice river to fish in. Lewiston sits at the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater Rivers. From Lewiston, head south on US95 and you will travel beside the Salmon River for a good spell. Stop in Riggins. Don't drive to McCall. Once you hit I84, might as well just haul ass back home.

Head up to the north fork of the blackfoot, not too far from Missoula. It is on the edge of the backcountry, is pretty accessible, and offers a lot of what you are talking about. Stop off at the fly fishing shop in Ovando before you head up, and they will set you straight.

Reactions: bobke
    Actually going to be just south of Condon at a friend’s cabin/property for 4-5 days and will be very close to Ovando. Been trying to execute this trip for 2 1/2 yrs since I retired and glad to be moving forward. Appreciate the comments-keep ‘em coming. Going to work our way south through Idaho to Utah and Four Corners area on return leg. Have lots of freedom to move around towards best options. Thx.

Actually going to be just south of Condon at a friend’s cabin/property for 4-5 days and will be very close to Ovando. Been trying to execute this trip for 2 1/2 yrs since I retired and glad to be moving forward. Appreciate the comments-keep ‘em coming. Going to work our way south through Idaho to Utah and Four Corners area on return leg. Have lots of freedom to move around towards best options. Thx.
    Yeah, if you are up in the Seeley area you are going to be damn close to Ovando when you turn off at the Sinclair. The other options, if you have the time and inclination, would be to head over to Augusta and hike into the Bob Marshall for a couple days at Benchmark, which is a pretty memorable trip. Or go a bit further east to Craig for some of the best fishing in the world.

I live very close to Ovando, and the truth is that you can pretty much pee in any direction and find beautiful country with public access and great fishing. I like the backcountry because you are away from all cars, ATVs, noise etc, but others prefer a bit more accessibility.

Excellent-exactly the info I’m looking for. Are guides generally recommended or local shops able to steer you in the right direction? And river/lakes pretty accessible? Familiar with salt water fly and sight casting on TX coast, but no experience in small tributaries and fresh water. Really looking forward to exploring the area.

Last edited:
    You definitely don't need a guide to have a great time. That isn't to say that people don't take them, but it depends on what matters most to you. I prefer to be out in nature, do a little fishing, hike a lot, and have fun with my wife or friends. None of that requires a guide. If you want the best, secretest spot, or if you just want to enjoy and not work too hard, a guide is a good choice. The fishing shops are generally quite good.

As far as accessibility, there is almost no private water in MT as far as fishing, so you have pretty much run of the place. It is rough country, though, so be prepared to work a bit. It's pretty limitless. There is plenty I want to do but still haven't done. A bunch of mountain lakes I'd like to fish, etc. But really it is all great.

Do be bear aware. This area of MT really does have a lot of grizzly. Obviously, you are not averse to guns, so have one with you, either a 10mm or a 357/44 mag. Also, have bear spray just in case. It's a gross motor skill, as opposed to shooting, and the bears are terrifying when you see them. For your wife as well, if you are traveling with one. Don't be overly concerned, but be smart.

Around Ovando and Condon, really anywhere you are until you get to Kamiah, ID on 12, be VERY bear aware. If you go the Bear Tooth route, there are plenty of warnings that there is no tent camping allowed...da bears.

Excellent-exactly the info I’m looking for. Are guides generally recommended or local shops able to steer you in the right direction? And river/lakes pretty accessible? Familiar with salt water fly and sight casting on TX coast, but no experience in small tributaries and fresh water. Really looking forward to exploring the area.
    Ultra light tackle. Fly casting can be challenging in many places so bring a spin rig also. Barbless just to prevent any hassles. Small black spinners, black flies, white spinners, white flies...no need for the LBGTQ rainbow bullshit. If you don't catch on black, swap to white. If you don't catch on white, move. Bear spray. DEET. The water is COLD, so be aware of not getting swept in, you can lose strength rapidly. Depending on conditions, you may not be allowed a campfire, I like the Iso-butane things anyway. Between Missoula and Kamiah, there are only a couple of local shops and they are very under supplied and over priced. As MK20 said, fill up at the Stinker station at the intersection of 12 and 93 in Lolo, MT. There is a hot spring resort right near the border of MT/ID. Do stop at the summit rest area and look around.

Yeah, the water is fucking brutal around here. It is literally never anything but freezing cold.

I’ve done that exact trip but from west Texas about 7-8 times now. Start in Lubbock, and made my way over to Albuquerque before turning north to Durango CO, then cutting back west to Monticello UT, then turn north towards Moab and Salt Lake. From Salt Lake we stay northbound to just north of Idaho Falls before turning NW on hwy 93 and staying on 93 the rest of the way. I’ve spent a lot of time around Darby and Hamilton just south of Missoula, but have headed north of Missoula quite a bit as well. I’ve also gone west on I84 and turned north at Twin Falls up to Ketchum and Stanley. Both are gorgeous routes.

IMO make time for Moab UT, a couple days around Salmon or Challis ID (The Bent Rod fly shop has been fantastic for advice and quality gear at good prices), fishing the Bitterroot south of Darby, lunch and a brew at Bitterroot Brewing in Hamilton, and take the time to run up to Flathead Lake and Glacier while there. The drive back south through Seeley to Ovando is spectacular. Oh and eat as much Huckleberry everything as you can while up there!

Thanks, that’s excellent info. Have spent a fair amount of time riding MTB in between Fruita and Moab, so quite familiar with your initial route, but little to none north of an east-west line across middle of Utah. Great suggestions on NW MT and ID, which I think will be our return leg home to San Antonio area. Going try to sprint up to Denver and make Condon in two days, but take our time on way back. Really appreciate the tips. Keep ‘em coming.

Reactions: Aescobar17
    Guided float trip.....I can't think of a better place to do that than the Green River "A" section out of Dutch John
    Utah Dept. of Wildlife estimates 8,000 to 22,000 fish per mile on that stretch. I took my father on his first and only fly fishing float trip there and he loved it.

If you are going through UT, Edge of the Cedars Museum in Blanding has A LOT of awesome and ancient history.

Moab and slick rock is amazing, and a hike in a canyon with a basic 5 mile dirt road to the trailhead to see ruins is very cool and way less crowded.
    PM me for questions, details.

Just did Durango, Mesa Verde, 4 corners, Monument Valley, Cedar Mesa, Natural Bridges, and then up to Moab with my 10 yr old.

I like the woods and nature.

Crowds, touristy crap, and loud 4x4 are cool, but over it in short order.
    Thats the bulk of what you get in Moab and close to town.
    Have a plan for a cool hike in Moab (Grandstaff Canyon, formerly known as Negro Bill Canyon) is close to town and cool.
    Look up Negro Bill via the web. Good history.

Powdahound
    Have done a bunch of the Utah legs you’ve mentioned, either on MTB trips or with my daughters on foot. Been going to Moab for more than 20 years, back when it was a ‘smaller’ town and much more laid back. Good thing is once you’re away from town and into isolated spots, noise is heavily diminished. First time I ever did Porcupine Rim trail and had a look over the edge at summit, I was sold. Told daughters to throw some of my ashes off the rim-just so they’d have to see that view. And Negro Bill is one of the Canyons you see on the descent back to 128, if memory serves. Try the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands for a cool 3 day camping trip.
    Appreciate the tips-from all the feedback, could easily add another week or two to this trip. Thx.

Reactions: powdahound76
    So…am in Condon, MT and a winter storm warning in effect thru Wednesday AM, rivers everywhere around us are in flood stage and running fast, so fishing here doesn’t look like it’s going to work out. Need to move south, would like to find some fishing on the way back to TX, but with late spring in this part of the world, not sure where to find some quieter water. Anyone have any suggestions in MT, ID, UT, NM or AZ, am open ears. Thx.

Mtn streams in CO are all running high with normal spring/summer run-off.

Most Mtn spots that get a lotta snow will be.

Maybe some lakes?

Plenty of those around and if you have to walk a bit to get to it, more likely it will be less crowded.

All that winter weather is from global warming.
    Makes summer have winter storm warnings…..🙄