• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Suggestions on an Economical Spotting Scope?

USGILT

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2007
KS, Leavenworth
I am currently looking for an economical spotting scope to view 5.56 & 7.62 caliber hits and holes in paper targets from approximately 100-400 yrds. What is everyone else using to be effective?

Anyone have positive/negative experience with the following?
Cabelas 16-48x50mm Professional Series Spotting Scope

SpottingScope.jpg

Thanks,

USGILT

Re: Suggestions on an Economical Spotting Scope?

Take a look at the Bushnell spotter with a mil dot reticle in it. Everyone needs one of those. I have a Cabela's spotter and it works, but a shooting buddy has the Bushnell and I like the Bushnell better.

What are your perimeters for "economical"?

What would be the appropriate zoom, objective size for said spotting scope for my specified purpose?

Thanks,

I suppose the terms economical and budget would be interchangeable at this point......$350 or less.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the Bushnell FFP spotter compare to the Leupold Mk IV spotter in terms of quality? </div></div>

I have heard that the Bushnell compares pretty even, but the Bushnell is alot cheaper

I don't think you will get a low end scope that will spot 5.56 holes at 400 yards. I have a Konus and a Alpen both in 20x60x80 and they do well at 100 yards, OK at 200 yards and so so at 300 yards. The Konus is a better scope that the Alpen. I would go with a Konus for a budget spotter again.

The Leupold Sequoia 20-60x80mm will spot 5.56 at 400yds $499 at Cabela's with hard case and tripod. This is spotting scope I own.
The Leupold Sequoia 15-45x60mm is $399 with hard case and tripod at Cabela's, but may not spot 5.56 at 400yds. Nikon has a nice scope at $350ish 15-45x60mm I'm not sure if it comes with a case or tripod, but pretty nice for the price.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the Bushnell FFP spotter compare to the Leupold Mk IV spotter in terms of quality? </div></div>

I have heard that the Bushnell compares pretty even, but the Bushnell is alot cheaper </div></div>

Ok! I heard quite a few of the Bushnell FFPs were returned to dealers, seemed to have some issues with quality on the first batch, anyone knows if this has been fixed?

Not fixed yet. I have a spotter that is at Bushnell right now. CS has been less than helpful in getting things moving on replacements/repairs. They seem oblivious to the problems with these spotters. Nice spotter for the price if you can get one free of defects.

Trying to narrow my choices down. What is the glass quality between the Konus 20x60x80 and the Leupold Sequoia 20-60x80mm? Any noticeable issues in low light conditions?

Here is a link to a bird watcher group that did a review of a bunch of spotters. They are a good resource for spotters since they are picky as hell when it comes to seeing the bird. On the right side of the page is a link to a spread sheet on how they all did sorted by price range.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=272&srcid=667#top

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Konus... might not make good rifle scopes but their damn spotting scope is great.

http://jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

</div></div>

+1

I keep my Konus in a soft cover and have had many people remark how nice the glass is and ask "how much did you pay for that" thinking it's a mid-high end spotter. They are always surprised when I tell them, about $180.

CM