• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AKUMA_45acp

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2020
I have a POF Renegade+ 556 / 10.5'' and I am wanting to mod it, primarily for
CQB (with 100+ yardage capability), so I'm looking for some advice and suggestions
on how to build it and choice of components - optic, sling, light, ect.

I plan on running NV, but I'm still researching my NVG / NVM options.

The Surefire and Streamlight (See Light) were suggested to me, as an option, from the Dbal
and MAWL. As for the Echo1 (See Optics), it's an inexpensive option for a WM thermal optic. And
as for the AimPoint CEU (See Optics), I thought that I'd be a cool idea, not to get my fact blow off, when
coming out of cover.

Thanks guys!

Current Mods:

BUIS:
Diamondhead D45

BUFFER:
JP Enterprises JPSCS2-15H2

AFG:
Magpul

PISTOL BRACE:
SBA3

These are some options I'm considering:

TRIGGER:
• JP Enterprises Rolling Pin Trigger - JPFC-MR

12.5+ -or- 14.5" Barrel Upgrade:
• PROOF CF
• BSF CF
• Dracos

2 POINT SLING:
• Blue Force Gear
• SOB Tactical
• Ferro Concepts
• Cold Steel Tactical

OPTICS:
• Sig Bravo5 5X30
• Vortex Razor UH-1 Gen 1 & Vortex Micro3X Magnifier combo
• Primary Arms Gen 3 SLX3
• Primary Arms Gen 3 SLX5

*** I have a heavy astigmatism
*** I found a used Vortex set for sale
*** Because of my heavy astigmatism, I was suggested the SLX3 or SLX5

====

• AimPoint CEU
• Sig Echo1 Canted

LIGHT:
• Olight Odin
• Olight Warrior X w/ WM hardware
• Cloud Defensive REIN Micro
• Cloud Defensive REIN
• Arisaka 600 E2XT
• Modlite OKW18650

====

• Surefire X400v
• Streamlight TLR-VIR 2

So what AO are you operating in where you will be conducting CQB?

That is a lot of hardware to put on one short barreled gun. :oops:

Genearlly, I would start with the barrel and the mission. 100+ yards is not normally a spec for a CQBR. If you like 12.5", and no reason not to, I might default to something more basic, like a Daniel Defense chrome lined barrel. I cannot argue with Proof Carbon Fiber, but seems like overkill for a short barreled gun.

Next, I would look to engrave the lower ASAP and Form 1 by eForms, and then get a stock. I do not have any faith that the ATF will continue to validate AR pistols, and it adds $200 and lots of peace of mind. The longer the barrel and the longer the length of pull, and a few other considerations will put your configuration in jeapardy, sooner or later. I think. Also, having an SBR will allow you to have a vertical grip, which is a good add-on for a QCBR.

Optics: You have presented some odd choices for a guy who wants to spend money on a Proof barrel. I am not an eye expert, so with your astigmatism, you will need to work through that. I am a fan of Aimpoint and Elcan on a CQBR, and realize that is a little more budget, but you have so many expensive items on your list. The Optic is key, and getting NV capable is essential. EOTech EXPS3 is probably a good candidate. I hear the holographic works better with your eye condition. You can get a mount that will put the optic above a PEQ or MAWL or dBal.

Trigger is subjective topic. 1 stage or 2 stage. You need to ask yourself whether you need a two-stage and whether you need anything more than milspec. I am a fan of LaRue and Geissele triggers, but that is a very personal choice.

Buffer: not sure I would change out a buffer on a combat rifle. Again, very personal choice. You will need to work with the buffer weight. At 12.5", you will likely work well with an H2, but you could be H3 as well. I do not know the gas port size on the Proof. I would use H2 with the Daniel Defense. You can also get a basic buffer and add tungsten weights and see what works. Ammo will matter alot.

Lights: I think you will want white light and IR, right? I would lean toward L3 PEQ or Surefire M600 model with IR and white light. MAWL is probably not an option, unless you are law enforcement. And a very expensive light. dBal is also good choice, but I would compare the Surefire to the dBal on output and cost. Cloud Defense is good. Again, you are pushing your budget up. I like their OWL. The Rein sounds intriguing. My guess is that you will have a six to eight month wait on the new light.

Sling: really personal preference. Most models are sold out, so be patient. I have a preference for all things Blue Force Gear. There are a couple of niche one man shop sling shops that are up and comming, but also delayed for a great many months in delivery. All these first time gun buyers are now buying slings.

Good luck

Reactions: Bakwa and Naaman
That is a lot of hardware to put on one short barreled gun. :oops:

Genearlly, I would start with the barrel and the mission. 100+ yards is not normally a spec for a CQBR. If you like 12.5", and no reason not to, I might default to something more basic, like a Daniel Defense chrome lined barrel. I cannot argue with Proof Carbon Fiber, but seems like overkill for a short barreled gun.

Next, I would look to engrave the lower ASAP and Form 1 by eForms, and then get a stock. I do not have any faith that the ATF will continue to validate AR pistols, and it adds $200 and lots of peace of mind. The longer the barrel and the longer the length of pull, and a few other considerations will put your configuration in jeapardy, sooner or later. I think. Also, having an SBR will allow you to have a vertical grip, which is a good add-on for a QCBR.

Optics: You have presented some odd choices for a guy who wants to spend money on a Proof barrel. I am not an eye expert, so with your astigmatism, you will need to work through that. I am a fan of Aimpoint and Elcan on a CQBR, and realize that is a little more budget, but you have so many expensive items on your list. The Optic is key, and getting NV capable is essential. EOTech EXPS3 is probably a good candidate. I hear the holographic works better with your eye condition. You can get a mount that will put the optic above a PEQ or MAWL or dBal.

Trigger is subjective topic. 1 stage or 2 stage. You need to ask yourself whether you need a two-stage and whether you need anything more than milspec. I am a fan of LaRue and Geissele triggers, but that is a very personal choice.

Buffer: not sure I would change out a buffer on a combat rifle. Again, very personal choice. You will need to work with the buffer weight. At 12.5", you will likely work well with an H2, but you could be H3 as well. I do not know the gas port size on the Proof. I would use H2 with the Daniel Defense. You can also get a basic buffer and add tungsten weights and see what works. Ammo will matter alot.

Lights: I think you will want white light and IR, right? I would lean toward L3 PEQ or Surefire M600 model with IR and white light. MAWL is probably not an option, unless you are law enforcement. And a very expensive light. dBal is also good choice, but I would compare the Surefire to the dBal on output and cost. Cloud Defense is good. Again, you are pushing your budget up. I like their OWL. The Rein sounds intriguing. My guess is that you will have a six to eight month wait on the new light.

Sling: really personal preference. Most models are sold out, so be patient. I have a preference for all things Blue Force Gear. There are a couple of niche one man shop sling shops that are up and comming, but also delayed for a great many months in delivery. All these first time gun buyers are now buying slings.

Good luck

+1 for a Daniel Defense barrel (not to take away anything from the OP's other choices).

I have one of my own, and use one at work. The barrels we use at work are true workhorses. Barrel life (and accuracy) is night and day compared to the Colts we were using previously.

9A4CC126-5278-4A2E-BBCC-A2641496E02D.jpeg

Im really digging my Gen 2 Huey on my 10.5in seekins build. I went with a Gieselle SD3G trigger and it is crisp as all get out with no creep and stupid fast reset.

the SLYTactical sling is great too. Love the T handle adjuster on it. Very intuitive and quick to use. Goes from 2pt to 1pt in a snap as well.

Hey guys, I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. I'll review all the suggestions for consideration.

Feel free to keep them coming!