• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Suggestions on Glass for 30-06

RajunKajun59

Private
Minuteman
Apr 26, 2018
South Louisiana
I am in the process of making some changes to my REM 700 .30-06, I have already put it in a new stock, I will be putting a new remage barrel on it, one that is threaded for a Suppressor(When it gets out of jail), I do not like the idea of getting a sporter contour barrel threaded and hanging a weight on the end of it. And, a new scope, I currently have an older red field 3-12x40 duplex scope that has served well since 2001. But i want to start reaching out a little further.

Intended use will be hunting inside of 500 yds, longest I have eve made was 375, and longer range paper and steel punching. (closest long range available to me goes to 980)

I have been Looking into the following
Nikon Black FX1000 - 4-16x50 or 6-24x50 Mil/Mil FFP
Sig Tango 4 - 6-24x50 or 4-16x44 Mil/Mil FFP (Mrad Milling Ret.)
Nightforce SHV - 4-14x44 Mil/Mil FFP (Mil-r Ret.)

So Price range is from $800 to $1200

With that said what are the Hide's recommendations, and are their any more I should be looking into.

Last edited:
^^What spife said^^

IMO, that is FAR and away the best deal going on a hunting-oriented optic right now. I have a Burris Veracity 3-15 on my '06 and it's fine... but it's no LRHSi, to be sure.

Reactions: RajunKajun59
RajunKajun, just as an FYI, the Nikon Black FX1000 scopes can all be had for less than $800 down your neck of the woods. Check out the following link. Make sure to let them know you are a Hide member. Talk to Ben.

Sport Optics

You will like the Nikon BLACK FX1000 scope but to toss out another Nikon since your primary use will be hunting. Nikon's MONARCH 5 3-15x50ED SF Advanced BDC. Since you are using this scope for hunting you can dial in your suppressed rifle, scope and ammo to get excellent longrange accuracy. I have used this scope on my .300 Win and love it. The ED glass is excellent and dialing it in with Spot On will fill your freezer. Some great deals on this scope right now as well. Definitely worth taking a look at, the glass will impress you.

IMG_7481.jpg

Of the Scopes you listed I have both the Nikon FX1000 6x24 MOA and the NF SHV 4x14x56 .....for your applications they will both serve you very well. I love my NF and it's very 1000 yd capable. Only took Nikon out to 600 so far, but it performed very well.
I hear good things about the Bushnell mentioned above as well...but no hands on.

Does the Nikon Track well, and how is the optical quality? I have yet to find any hands on reviews of it.

Come to think of it, there are not many hands on reviews of any of the scopes I am looking at, not sure if it is a good or bad thing.

Nikon tracks very well. I wrote up a hands on impressions last month...I will look for thread and link it. But the short version: good turrents. Not as loud and tactile as the NF but mechanical wise it's spot on. The zero stop is flawless and easy to set up. My only true issue which is completely minor is the simplicity of the reticle. I would only like to have floating cross hair or Xmas tree. But it's very clean and easy to use so again..real world problems lol.

Does the Nikon Track well, and how is the optical quality? I have yet to find any hands on reviews of it.

Come to think of it, there are not many hands on reviews of any of the scopes I am looking at, not sure if it is a good or bad thing.

RajunKajun, I ran a tall target test on the third Nikon Black FX1000 4-16x50 I received. Rather than go into it here, I'd refer you to the "Nikon FX-1000" thread, post #215, for my quick summary and first impressions. I've since had a bit more time behind it and and have been very pleased with the scope's performance. IMO, they are a good quality optic with a full set of features for very reasonable cost.

The sightron sIII family of scopes is in that price range. If it were me I would look to pick up a used Nightforce nxs 22 used. If you buy a older model used without zerostop and high speed turrets they can be had sometimes for around 1100 to 1200 bucks and are worth every penny.

Pell, I do remember reading your review now. I am glad to see that the Customer service made it right.

BFG, I am gong read your review right now.

I appreciate the information fellas, I just pulled the trigger on my 24" remage barrel from MCgowen this week, which is 10 weeks out, so once that gets here I will get the optic. Till then, keep the information and suggestions coming, I have a lot of research time ahead of me.

Last edited:
Wow!!!! Great looking rifle, I can't wait to hear about your range day! My guess is you will be chomping at the bit to take that 30-06 past 500 yards and it will most certainly be up to the task! Great pics!

Wow!!!! Great looking rifle, I can't wait to hear about your range day! My guess is you will be chomping at the bit to take that 30-06 past 500 yards and it will most certainly be up to the task! Great pics!

Thanks Bart. Absolutely can't wait. Currently waiting for a break in the weather to get it sighted in on my lunch break one of these days. Probably won't start stretching it out until the spring, after duck season ends.

I'd be duck hunting to, if I lived in S. LA ! Enjoy. Nothing like rice fed puddler ducks.

While somewhat of a classic, lacking wide angle objective, side focus, or 30mm tube, this Weaver V-16 4-16x42 Riflescope has provided me with an excellent hunting capability for a couple of decades.

The Winchester Model 70 Featherweight .30-'06 it rode also won 4th in the 1997 NJ State Sniper Championships, and every Deer Rifle Club Match it was ever entered into.

While I've gifted the Model 70 to my descendants, the V-16 is still in use, recently atop a Stag Model 6 Super Varminter .223 our Granddaughetr used in the 2017 Berger SW LR Nationals for 600yd MR F Class competition.

Even when price is no object, an economical but proven scope is still appropriate.

Greg

I just traded a SHV F1 4-14 to another member. If I was going to setup a hunting rifle, that would be the optic I would use.
Clear and rugged with Nightforce backing it.