• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Suggestions On Prairie Dog Caliber

Bl0407

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2019
So If you had a choice between a .17HMR or .223 for your main Caliber to hunt Prairie Dogs what would you go with and why? I already have a .22lr and a 6MM Creedmoor as well as a .22-250. Look for a caliber that would be my main 50 to 250 yard caliber. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
How many rounds per day do you typically shoot?

Short term, you can find 17HMR in stock.
I’ve got everything to load .223 and actually have started to buy .17hmr in case I decide to go that route so ammo is not an issue either way.

Haven’t even been but going in the spring.
On this day a few miles west of Idaho's boarder in 2004 the low man in the group shot 700 rounds, high man shot 1200 with an Anschutz .22mag Sporter (4rd mags) at Oregon's Belding digger squirrels that invade alfalfa fields. Basically Coors Light can size +/- 1-1.5". All were shooting .22mag.

i-ZZbSjX4-XL.jpg

I had days with my AR .223 24" barrel purchased in '92 that I've shot over 600 rounds and 3-400 rounds of rimfire. Our targets range from 25-350yds typically, though 642yds is my 'record' with the AR.

I now take .22lr pistol, .17HM2, .17HMR, .17WSM, .223 AR, .223 Tikka Varmint. The field/location/range may limit the you to rimfire or may dictate centerfire is required.

This was 2003 in central Oregon, my brothers shooting. The center of the pivot is 318yds. and the entire field was covered with squirrels.

i-QG2xRZ7-XL.jpg

Shoot what makes it fun and safe for you. Bigger the round, bigger the pop and acrobatics. The .17HMR is a great happy medium under 175yds. ;)

Last edited:
223 is my favorite by far. A lot of fun with a heavy barrel ar. Top it with a 5-25 scope with a exposed elevation turret and a hash horizontal reticle of some sort and you can have a lot of fun. Load 20 round mags and rotate rifles often. 17 hmr is my favorite for shooting out the truck window. A 17 hornet is also fun.

Reactions: Bl0407
One this day a few miles west of Idaho's boarder in 2004 the low man in the group shot 700 rounds, high man shot 1200 with an Anschutz .22mag Sporter (4rd mags) at Oregon's Belding digger squirrels that invade alfalfa fields. Basically Coors Light can size +/- 1-1.5". All were shooting .22mag.

i-ZZbSjX4-XL.jpg

I had days with my AR .223 24" barrel purchased in '92 that I've shot over 600 rounds and 3-400 rounds of rimfire. Our targets range from 25-350yds typically, though 642yds is my 'record' with the AR.

I now take .22lr pistol, .17HM2, .17HMR, .17WSM, .223 AR, .223 Tikka Varmint. The field/location/range may limit the you to rimfire or may dictate centerfire is required.

This was 2003 in central Oregon, my brothers shooting. The center of the pivot is 318yds. and the entire field was covered with squirrels.

i-QG2xRZ7-XL.jpg

Shoot what makes it fun and safe for you. Bigger the round, bigger the pop and acrobatics. The .17HMR is a great happy medium under 175yds. ;)
Great Feedback thank you...

Reactions: Sieg
You need a 223 because that’s the gap in your current arsenal. You can shoot way more 223 than 22-250 before you get to barrel torching temps. Very accurate, good barrel life, and 250 yds is a chip shot. I’m also a big fan of 221 fireball and 20-221 fireball. Very efficient, both will still do 300 yards, less recoil than a 223, and even more rounds down range before you need to let it cool. Lapua makes brass too.

223 is my favorite. I take several rifles every time I head out and the 223 gets used the most. I have found 77gr TMK and the 73gr ELDM do a spectacular job on them at 223 velocities. The 73 ELDM will cause them to explode out to 300 yards which is the farthest I have tested it so far.

To be honest, a very accurate 223 with a nice scope is my all time favorite rifle to shoot for any type of plinking. Even if you acquire more prairie dog rifles later on, you will never regret a nice target style rifle in 223

Depends what you wish to accomplish... I’d offer up the 17 Hornet option. 223 ballistics and 17hmr report. If your going for a couple days .223 is alright. Few hundred rounds though and it gets annoying. 17 HMR is good out to 125-150ish.

If you are going to do it serious you need to take 5-6 rifles minimum. Good luck and have fun.

I run two rifles for PDogs currently. A 26" 1 in 9" twist barrel with standard chamber pushing 53/55gr Hornady VMax bullets @3200fps and a 26" 1 in 8" twist barrel with Wylde chamber pushing 73gr & 75gr ELD-M's @3025fps and @2985fps respectively. These are seated very long around 2.545in OAL

I run the 53/55gr out to 350yds IF winds are not too bad (less than 15mph). Once the wind gets up or the range gets much past 350yds I'll reach for the 73gr rounds out, to 550yds then swap out to the 75gr for beyond that.

Reactions: RMB
I would agree if you can get your hands on 223 its great. I use a 50 to 55 gr. pill out of a 24 inch barrel 1 in 9 twist. But if you cant find any, run the 17. I started with the 17 hmr in south dakota. Hammering some pdogs at 300 yards holding 3.5 mils of wind was challenging

223 hands down. It's way better for volume shooting, accurate enough out to 250 yds, and doesn't heat up like the 22-250 will. I've been out after prairie dogs a number of times with a buddy who shoots wickedly accurate custom 223s while I'm using a Howa 22-250. He's a much better shot than me and easily hits twice as many, seldom misses. Makes me want to build a 223.

Why do you think that’s the best option?

Cheap ammo, no recoil, easy to load, accurate, less affected by wind (I do shoot a 218 Bee at the close/stupid ones) and don't heat up as fast as the 243/6mm options. I also have 6MM AR, love the thing but with having to neck down 6.5 Grendel brass and the cost....and the ability to burn though ammo.....it is not a realistic option.....for a 4 day shoot I limit myself to 500 rounds and is usually gone by day 2....LOL

Our shooting setups. We use folding style benches.
P1070526 (3).JPG

Use them both and use the one that best fits the town you’re on. If they are dumb and in close use the .17 HMR if you have a little wind and are reaching shoot the .223

I will be leaving on May 3rd for a two day shoot......cannot wait as could not go last year.

I shoot Prairie Poodles at least once a week during the spring and summer.

I always carry a 223, 220 Swift, and a 243 when I go out. I have the spectrum covered with those. I have also used my Barrett before, but it isn't that spectacular like a 4k fps varmint bullet is.

I just found out a few years ago people take trips and pay to shoot PDogs. That blew my mind when I met a couple of guys that stated that.

Last edited:
I have always wanted a 220 Swift.....really...how far will this thing shoot with a 53 to 55 grain bullet?

Thanks

I have always wanted a 220 Swift.....really...how far will this thing shoot with a 53 to 55 grain bullet?

Thanks

Without a ton of wind, it's a 400 yard varmint rifle with 52gr ELD-Ms, a out the same with 55s.

204 ruger is a laser out to 300ish. A center fire 17, like a 17 hornet, would be fun too. They're both cheap to load for. If you had to pick between the 17hmr and 223, I'd go 223.

The fun is the impact. my 17 hmr experience was pop, dead - not very impressive. 22rf - they die but no fun.
I now take a 6x47 Lapua with 70 gr, a 223 with 50gr, and a 204 ruger with 39 gr. 223 is very good, 204 is awesome, 6mm - incredible!! I mean it reaches out there and explosive with 5 or 6 foot in the air!
Obviously you want a heavy rifle as you should shoot 2 or 300 a day. And the more velocity the better!

17 hornet is in contention for the baddest ass little caliber I’ve ever owned. I absolutely love mine! I do t live where there’s prairie dogs but I’ve piled up a pile of foxes, bobcats and even a couple coyotes with mine. It’s a laser beam with factory Hornady out of a cz527

No love for 300 win mag? Want to intimidate a prairie dog? Vaporize his buddy in front of him.

125gr Noslers over RL19. They said bring at least 3 rifles. Run what you brung.

My vote would be the .223. Buddy brought a 17hmr, kinda boring, no acrobatics. He put it away before making it through a box of ammo.

.20 practical, now we're talking.

Reactions: bmash