• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suggestions please… PRS rifle for youth they won’t outgrow

chawk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
Asking for suggestions and opinions. I want to build a rifle for my son that he can use effectively now and into the future to hunt, target shoot and shoot PRS type events. I’m hoping to put something together he will never “outgrow”. Due to his current size and strength I need to keep the weight down initially to around 10-12 lbs and have a 12” - 12.5” LOP. As he grows he will need the ability to increase LOP.

I‘m considering a MDT HNT26 chassis, custom action(no idea where to start) and proof research carbon barrel around 18-20” so he can run it with a light suppressor. What is out there that might be a better setup?

I also would like suggestions for what caliber to chamber. I’m thinking something like a 6BR or 6 Creedmoor.

I was fairly up to speed with what was available 10 years ago, but I drifted from the hobby with young kids and life and have no idea of what’s out there these days To best accomplish this.

Thanks.

What you a looking for is a lightweight precision rifle that a kid can handle.

My son, who is small for his age, struggled with even the youth rifles. He fit my ar with the stock collapsed pretty good with a red dot. A few years ago I purchased a howa 1500 with a chassis in 6.5 cm. It's heavy, has a 16" barrel, and an adjustable stock. He's 10, about 4'3 and it works pretty well for him. I have him shoot it with a rear bag and shoot 123gr bullets. He does a good job with it all things considered. Ammo for it is everywhere, upgrades available, and I don't have a lot into it if he doesn't want t shoot it any more.
Best of luck.

Consider an XLR Envy Pro, the LOP is basically infinitely adjustable, and with a straight ERGO grip the trigger reach is short as well.
Lego build in any custom action plus a light palma, with the envy pro, will probably be light enough.
Spend the most money on glass that will last a long time.
My $0.02

If starting from scratch the 6mm arc would be a decent choice. Mild recoil and decent factory ammo for games and hunting.

For a stock I like the XLR element magnesium. The stock adjusts down to probably 11" LOP with the folder installed. The weight can be added to make it whatever you want, but it's a pretty good weight for general use as is. The also both shoot the ARC Xylo ok, but it has almost no recoil pad.

I've run a couple of actions in mine, but I would pick a lighter weight that can take a prefit. It's so much nicer to buy a barrel off the internet or calling a smith to make one then to send your rifle off for who knows how long.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
How is he with recoil? Something like a .223 wouldn't be a bad place to start either. Get a Bighorn Origin action where you can easily change the bolt face and he could start with something like a .223 or 6mm ARC and then move into a different caliber down the road with a barrel and boltface swap. He won't outgrow the Origin with it's abilities to change calibers from .223 to short magnums.

@bohem Josh at Patriot Valley Arms can spin up a barrel for that Origin easily. As mentioned I would just go with a Med Palma contour and not a CF barrel. The Med Palma will be light enough.

You plan to load for him or is he using factory ammo?

Manners MCS-CS and Mcmillan U10 if wanting a stocked rifle. The downside to the Manners is the grips are already too far back from trigger guard for most grown men. So the LOP would work for him, but likely not the grip.

For a chassis, the XLR Envy Pro with C6 buttstock. There are two different extensions for the C6. The short one gets the LOP down to 12". And with all the weights, you can start him out with zero weights and add weight as he gets older/stronger.

Reactions: chawk
I think the xlr element is the most kid friendly chassis. It shrinks down real short and is relatively light weight bare but you can fit some weights in/on and it will fit whatever barrel contour if you/he wants a thicker barrel when he grows up.

The origin action with a 6arc/br/creed medium palma barrel in the element would be what I would build for my kid. It’ll still be 14 lbs maybe but it’ll be much more prs friendly than many “kid” rifles.

My son, who is small for his age, struggled with even the youth rifles. He fit my ar with the stock collapsed pretty good with a red dot. A few years ago I purchased a howa 1500 with a chassis in 6.5 cm. It's heavy, has a 16" barrel, and an adjustable stock. He's 10, about 4'3 and it works pretty well for him. I have him shoot it with a rear bag and shoot 123gr bullets. He does a good job with it all things considered. Ammo for it is everywhere, upgrades available, and I don't have a lot into it if he doesn't want t shoot it any more.
Best of luck.

The adjustable LOP on the ar’s works well for him but he prefers shooting the bolt guns. He shoots mine frequently and makes it work but can only do it off a bipod with a rear bag. I’ll take a look at Howa. Thanks.

If starting from scratch the 6mm arc would be a decent choice. Mild recoil and decent factory ammo for games and hunting.

For a stock I like the XLR element magnesium. The stock adjusts down to probably 11" LOP with the folder installed. The weight can be added to make it whatever you want, but it's a pretty good weight for general use as is. The also both shoot the ARC Xylo ok, but it has almost no recoil pad.

I've run a couple of actions in mine, but I would pick a lighter weight that can take a prefit. It's so much nicer to buy a barrel off the internet or calling a smith to make one then to send your rifle off for who knows how long.
I like the XLR element magnesium and agree that might be the best bet for the reasons you mention. Looks like it would need the TR-2 butt stock to be adjustable LOP. Is that correct? Only downside there is looks like they are 4 months out from order.

I’m not familiar with the 6mm arc so I’ll check it out.

Also like the suggestion for a lighter action that takes a prefit. I need to look at options along these lines.

How is he with recoil? Something like a .223 wouldn't be a bad place to start either. Get a Bighorn Origin action where you can easily change the bolt face and he could start with something like a .223 or 6mm ARC and then move into a different caliber down the road with a barrel and boltface swap. He won't outgrow the Origin with it's abilities to change calibers from .223 to short magnums.

@bohem Josh at Patriot Valley Arms can spin up a barrel for that Origin easily. As mentioned I would just go with a Med Palma contour and not a CF barrel. The Med Palma will be light enough.

You plan to load for him or is he using factory ammo?

He doesn’t seem to mind recoil at all. He will shoot my 300wm with medium palma in a mcs-t with brake from prone until I tell him that’s enough and he shoots it well. His favorite to shoot (again he can only make it work prone) is a suppressed UGSW Perseus in 6.5cm. So recoil comparable to that would be ideal.

I will definitely check out the origin action. I like the flexibility you mention. Perhaps a medium Palma if kept short would work for him. I like the idea of keeping it as lift as possible and adding weights to the chassis as he grows. Any downside to this? Any other reason you recommend not going with carbon fiber?

I load for all of my rifles so will load for this one also, but factory ammo availability isn’t a bad thing.

Thanks!

I’ll stray from the pack and mention the Sig Cross. You could grab the lighter or heavier version. Lots of adjustability and replacement barrels are becoming available. Even if he needs a better rifle in the future, it can be a hunting rifle.

XLR Element or Envy Pro. The LOP can go really short. I got one for my son when he was about 13 and he’s still using it several growth spurts later.

As for actions, I’d go with an Origin if you want to keep costs lower since you have the option of prefits and bolt faces.

For caliber, I’d stick with 6BR or it’s variants for range, PRS. But if you’re adding in hunting then it may not be the best choice.

How old is he now?

Reactions: Matagorda308
My rifle build for my daughter:

Used 700, all the work done, with low round count 24” 6.5 creed Bartlein light palma with brake and TT, NF rail.
Bought it for the price of a blank, smithing, and cerakote by being patient for a bargain.

Acquired:
MDT LSS XL carbine butt
Luth AR MBA-3
Brux .224 barrel
Rem .223 bolt
Bartlein .243 barrel

Smith cut .223 Wylde from Brux.
Gives her a chance to shoot a lot from 100-600. Fun as crap. M24. Not a hunting barrel for her, so heavy is nice. She digs watching trace and spotting hits.
18.5”

Smith cut 22” 6BR. Would go with lighter profile, as this is M24. Light or med palma would be my choice.

IF I were doing this again I would do the following:

Origin
All barrels in light palma. 22” on all.
Likely do the Element vs the MDT, though that chassis with an added 12” MLOK Arca has been darn good and very serviceable.
Much faster to get too…..

Of course she has grown a bunch and is now a 5’2” 11 1/2 yr old….
Chassis fits her great and she is still very happy with it all over all.

I shoot it from time to time and it is really great.

Reactions: Matagorda308
He doesn’t seem to mind recoil at all. He will shoot my 300wm with medium palma in a mcs-t with brake from prone until I tell him that’s enough and he shoots it well. His favorite to shoot (again he can only make it work prone) is a suppressed UGSW Perseus in 6.5cm. So recoil comparable to that would be ideal.

I will definitely check out the origin action. I like the flexibility you mention. Perhaps a medium Palma if kept short would work for him. I like the idea of keeping it as lift as possible and adding weights to the chassis as he grows. Any downside to this? Any other reason you recommend not going with carbon fiber?

I load for all of my rifles so will load for this one also, but factory ammo availability isn’t a bad thing.

Thanks!

Well caliber will be a larger pool then I’d he can handle some recoil. The 6.5 Creedmoor is not a bad choice either. Or pretty much anything listed. It’s not going to be the only caliber he will be able to shoot so just pick one and down the road he can add a barrel in another if he wants.

Carbon fiber barrels can start walking shots with higher round counts and heating up. Not something you want in a match rifle. I’d stick with a steel med Palma. He will shoot it out before he needs to add weight to the chassis so you can get a heavier contour down the road to give him more weight.

6.5 Creedmoor or similar calibers will have factory offerings and also easy to load for.

I like the XLR element magnesium and agree that might be the best bet for the reasons you mention. Looks like it would need the TR-2 butt stock to be adjustable LOP. Is that correct? Only downside there is looks like they are 4 months out from order.

I’m not familiar with the 6mm arc so I’ll check it out.

Also like the suggestion for a lighter action that takes a prefit. I need to look at options along these lines.

Yes. I have the TR-2 buttstock. I have a ARC Mousingfield in it with a ARC 6.5cm barrel. They said it's close to a medium Palma. Both my 7yo and 10yo shoot it ok, but they do much better with my 6br. I picked up a howa mini in 6.5grendel and put it in a youth Oryx chassis. This was ok and they still use it, but the action wasn't nearly as smooth as my other actions, and they both prefer the element with the ARC action.

I've tried the Manners CS and it didn't work for them. I've also tried the Cross and it didn't work. The McMillan A10 looked interesting and I had planned on trying one of those. Figured my wife would use it if nothing else.

My wife's rig: envy prp(no weights) w/ C6 buttstock, zermatt tl3, 26" marksman contour(slightly heavier than med palma), ace brake and a Mk5hd 5-25 in arc rings, weighs in just under 16#. You could likely drop 1.5# by going to say a 20-22" light palma or #4 sporter. Going to an aluminum or magnesium element would drop you another pound or more.

My light chassis rifle is a Hnt26, origin action, 24" m24 contour pipe, TBAC ultra7 can, Zco420 in zco rings. Weighs 13.5# you could cut some weight for sure on the lighter barrel/glass.

Plenty of good suggestions, I'd also suggest a .22 LR for PRS type practice. Much cheaper way to practice finding targets, movement between shooting positions and building a solid base on props, rocks, etc... Easy to set up too as 250 yards is plenty for practice, even a hundred yard range works. A no limits rack at 50 yards can be pretty difficult depending on the rest. Even prone you can make it harder by having to get up and down between shots.

What a whole bunch of other’s are recommending. Will put this together for Brenda. While it is using a Savage action (with a custom barrel and a barrel nut) the magnesium chassis is light enough. I also like the idea of the 6ARC. Otherwise, go with any of the 6mm rounds currently in use. 6 Creedmoor offers a lot of hunting/target options if a bit more power is desired and tolerated.

I keep telling Will III and Brenda that the little rifle is begging for a brake, but they say its just not necessary.

695336D6-0B95-4300-BB3F-20B613A368A7.jpeg

Asking for suggestions and opinions. I want to build a rifle for my son that he can use effectively now and into the future to hunt, target shoot and shoot PRS type events. I’m hoping to put something together he will never “outgrow”. Due to his current size and strength I need to keep the weight down initially to around 10-12 lbs and have a 12” - 12.5” LOP. As he grows he will need the ability to increase LOP.

I‘m considering a MDT HNT26 chassis, custom action(no idea where to start) and proof research carbon barrel around 18-20” so he can run it with a light suppressor. What is out there that might be a better setup?

I also would like suggestions for what caliber to chamber. I’m thinking something like a 6BR or 6 Creedmoor.

I was fairly up to speed with what was available 10 years ago, but I drifted from the hobby with young kids and life and have no idea of what’s out there these days To best accomplish this.

Thanks.

I'm doing something similar right now and my rough plan is a howa barreled action in 308 with a brake and a KRG bravo stock. For a little kid don't discount 223 either the 80gr smk can fly a long damn ways.

Also the hunting part a kid who isn't very strong probably won't like carrying a 12lb rifle on a hunting trip unless it's varmints or from a blind? There are a couple "junior" lightweight hunting rifles out there (ruger american?) in a classic hunting caliber for that.

This for example would be a great hunting rifle for a smaller person:

And if you handload the 243 with 100gr soft points it will kill almost everything. Deer would be no problem.

Last edited:
6br, gt or x47 are good starter rounds with very little recoil and good ballistics. They also give you the most popular boltface so if you want to switch calibers latter theres lots of options. I wouldnt go carbon. And impact or lone peak would be my choice in a action. 90 degree actions always feel easier and smoother to operate to me.

Thanks again to all for the input. I ended up going the following route.

XLR element magnesium w/ TR-2 butt stock
Zermatt Origin action
PVA Medium Palma 6GT at 20” with contoured thread protector and brake (also have a suppressor he can run when it’s beneficial)
TT special trigger
Hornady 109gr match ammo (will start reloading with this brass after it’s fired)

Leaning towards a FFP nx8 4-32. Any other suggestions in that weight and price range?

Last edited:

Zermatt Origin action
PVA light Palma 6GT at 20” with contoured thread protector and brake (also have a suppressor he can run when it’s beneficial)
TT special trigger
Hornady 109gr match ammo (will start reloading with this brass after it’s fired)

Leaning towards a FFP nx8 4-32. Any other suggestions in that weight and price range?
Leupold 5HD in 5x25, large eye box, easy to tune. Same money. NDIH

I’m fairly new to rifle building (maybe should have said “assembling”) but in this day and age of pre-fit barrels and chassis, seems to me that you would basically be investing in an action, then a barrel in an age-appropriate caliber, chassis with a short enough LOP, decent glass, etc. Then as the kiddo grows up replace parts and pieces to fit them but keep the action as the framework of the rifle. Upgrade the glass when something better comes out or the industry shifts in a new direction -which I’m sure there will be in 10 years…. For example: integrated LRF w/ AB and HUD in the reticle

I'm not sure how the eyebox in on that one. My NX8 2.5-20 is pretty tight and tougher then needed for the kids to use. I picked up a mk5hd 3.6-18, but havent put it on yet. I've been running a Viper pst gen2 3-15 which has been reliable so far. I think the 6GT will serve you well.

The great thing about R700 based rifles is that they are easily customizable and changeable.

Build a rifle that suits him today. In the future, you can easily change out chassis/stock, barrel, bolt face etc when the objectives and mission changes.

Bought this for the wife but she likes the Ruger 22LR better.. Rem700 5R stainless .223. Will pay for itself with ammo savings over the 6/6.5. Longer barrel life as well.. With a 5LB chassis and a brake, very easy shooter.

Attachments

• 20231027_203607.jpg
    20231027_203607.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231027_203308.jpg
    20231027_203308.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 24

Zermatt Origin action
PVA light Palma 6GT at 20” with contoured thread protector and brake (also have a suppressor he can run when it’s beneficial)

By chance would you be able to measure your muzzle (right behind the threads) to confirm it's about .750 as per PVA's Light Palma spec? I'm trying to decide between light and medium Palma as we speak.

Could you possibly post a pic of the barrel without the thread protector on it? Appreciate it if you can, understand if you can.

I don’t have the barrel yet… just recently ordered it. I spoke with PVA on the phone and if I understood them correctly their light Palma will be .75 at the muzzle, regardless of finished length, because of the way they profile their barrels in house.

Give them a call. They’ve been easy to get ahold of in my experience.

I don’t have the barrel yet… just recently ordered it. I spoke with PVA on the phone and if I understood them correctly their light Palma will be .75 at the muzzle, regardless of finished length, because of the way they profile their barrels in house.
Yes, that is my understanding as well after having sent an email. I was previously under the wrong assumption that the .75" muzzle was at a set length, and that anything cut shorter would result in a larger muzzle. That's only the case if you buy an already-contoured barrel and have it cut down. So even though two barrels may be the same profile, if they are different lengths, they have a different rate of taper. (if you order it as a certain length and contour from the start)

I asked about a pic so I could see the shoulder on a .75" threaded muzzle.