• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Suitable optic for a 50BMG?

Togeneral99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2010
Lynchburg, Virginia
I'm looking for a good optic for my single-shot 50BMG. I wanted something that I could range with and believe that I have a good understanding of the Mil system.
The major things that I am thinking I would want/need would be:
Excellent recoil properties
Sure tracking
Tactile adjustment clicks
Prefer Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA Turret/Reticle setup
Good useble magnification range

I believe that my working budget is going to be somewhere around $1300 but I'm not sure if I have fully convinced myself to spend quite that much.
So....do you guys have any suggestions on quality glass or maybe a less expensive alternative?

Re: Suitable optic for a 50BMG?

Honestly I would say a Nightforce NXS seems to handle the recoil without issues, has plenty of adjustment.

Just my opinion.

I had considered Nightforce they seem to make excellent scopes.
Also what are your thoughts on SFP or FFP would it be advantagous to go with the FFP or are the SFP scope accurate ate the mag. they say they are. (i.e. 1 mil @22x power really is 1 mil and not 1 mil @ 21.75x power)

US optics ST-17, extremely durable, you get opt for the 35mm tube get a little more adjustment. My friend has one on his wind river, you can get one built for $1305 with a 35mm tube.

I certainly would use FFP if you are thinking of reticle rangefinding.

I have recently moved onto the Leupold Mark-4 M5 FFP, and have found this to be an excellent scope so far: reasonably priced, good reliable operation, rugged American-made construction, and best of all the lifetime warrenty! Strongly suggest you at least consider this option
wink.gif

I have a Leupold ERT M5 FFP mil/mil. Its a great scope and I love it on my Sako.
I'm not sure how it would handle a fifty. I know a few fifty shooters (myself included) and so far non have had issues with the NXS on their rigs.

If you have questions you might want to contact Don at Long Range Supplies! He sells a lot of optics to the fifty community and can be found on Biggerhammer. I would give him a call and ask him what issues he has seen and what not (hes a good guy).
I'm just pointing you his direction because he would be a good source for info since he sells a lot of optics to members of the fifty community.

Unless someone else with a good deal of experience can chime in.

I've never been a fan of the amount of money paid for a leupold for what you get in return (i.e. Bushnell 6500 offers same or better for less from what i've read) but many people seem to be very happy with their leupolds.
What are your guys thoughts on the IOR valdada scopes? worth a good look?

Stephan Thanks for the info I'll def. have to give him a ring and pick his brain for a good bit!
wink.gif
I've joined the Fifty caliber shooters association so hopefully they will have gobs of info on there also. This site has been really helpful for me too.
Thanks for the advise guys!

Keith Pagel (SP) is a great guy! You might want to email him (I think you can find his contact info in the FCSA booklet. He is full of wisdom.

Ok sounds good i'll have to do that when my packet arrives.....Damn postal service! aren't we supposed to have hovercars and what not in 2010!

Yes Chiller I have been waiting for the PST's for some time and am anticipating their release (as are many mnay others apparently!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe that my working budget is going to be somewhere around $1300 but I'm not sure if I have fully convinced myself to spend quite that much.
So....do you guys have any suggestions on quality glass or maybe a less expensive alternative?</div></div>

Man you are attempting to enter one of the most expensive shooting genres there is and you are not sure if you have convinced yourself on "buy once cry once" in regards to optics? Without optics that will always work when you need them then no point in having the rifle or all the time invested in actually getting the 50 to shoot well in regards to ammo, not to mention the amount of trigger time needed for the shooter to utilize all the components well. HINT--there are some shooting characteristics that are exact opposite when shooting the 50 compared to "normal" chamberings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The major things that I am thinking I would want/need would be:
Excellent recoil properties
Sure tracking
Tactile adjustment clicks
Prefer Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA Turret/Reticle setup
Good useble magnification range
</div></div>

A little more information is needed from you if we actually disect the above, such as:
1. Weight of your rifle because not all 50s recoil the same amount? They vary depending on if we talking about the "rhino" built in early 90s that was a whopping 9lbs IIRC or the "unlimited" monster pounders.
2. What distance and target type/size you plan on shooting? That will determine what is "useable" magnification.
3. Do you have any vision problems? That way you can research optics with needed eye relief and/or magnification and/or reticle choices.

Now if you looking for just generalizations of what optic choices are good then they are as followed:

Entry Level--NXS 5.5-22x

Thanks

Well i've bought the gun and the reloading setup so I think i'm a little bit beyond attempting
wink.gif
but I def. get what you are saying.
Originally I got this rifle with the intention of a fun plinker then realized VERY quickly that it is only semi-cheap to shoot
wink.gif

Farthest formal range that I have here is 300 yards so I would say a majority of my shooting would be at this distance. Target size would be no smaller than 8" bullseye at this distance...however I would like the "headroom" to be able to informally compete at one of the FCSA 600 yard matches that are held at Quantico VA every year. So maximum yardage (if I can find someone that feels like blowing up cinder blocks on their property for fun!) would be ~800 yards.
Rifle weights ~22 lbs (AR upper kit with A-2 buttstock filled with lead)
20/20 Vision
Thanks for the information it's greatly appreciated!
Also what do you mean about the shooting characteristics of a 50 can be exactly the opposite??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Santo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My choice would be a NightForce 5.5-22X50 NXS. </div></div>

That is what i have on my Barrett M82CQ and love it. I have a little over 100 rounds (which is more than what some people) and the scope has done just fine.

Well it definately seems like the Nightforce NXS is getting the nod!
The only thing is that all the ones I am seeing are a good bit outside of my $1300 budget.
or am I just looking in "all the wrong places"??

Thanks again guys this helps alot!

you can find a used one, or add the 200$ to the budget, wait a little longer if you have to. i can guarantee you, you'll be happy you did

Bushnell Elite 3200 10x mil/mil.
That way you can buy some ammo too.

(don't laugh, they are very robust)

Really, get the NF, or give Vortex a call, see what they recommend.

I know that they are not thought highly of here but have a junk Leupold MK4 8.5x25 on my 50, so far it's held up after several hundred rounds.

I had a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 MOA/NP-1R on my 50BMG, great scope, and nothing wrong with it, just decided to convert all my optics to Mil/Mil, so now I'm just waiting on my Premier 5-25x56 to show up.

Look for a lightly used NF in the $1500-1600 range. You will not be disappointed.

Also went with a good used NF 5.5-22x Mil/Mil

Bought mine about 1 year ago from Euro Optics. Mine sits in a LaRue 50cal QD mount on top of a Serbu 50BMG. Not a glamorous 50BMG, but damn accurate and effective!

Ok well it seems like I need to add another $300 to my budget and snag a 5.5-22x Nightforce NXS
Since it seems like many of you have these and know a good deal about them would you recommend the 56 or 56mm objective? I have plenty of room over the front handguard so i'm not too worried about clearance but I'm not sure how much appreciable difference there might be.
Also what are your guys thoughts on zero stops, it seems many on here really like them, but what are the practical advantages is it reallt that easy to adjust and forget you elevation??
Oh! and what reticle do you guys like (i've been eye'n the NP-R1)

Thanks again guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok well it seems like I need to add another $300 to my budget and snag a 5.5-22x Nightforce NXS
Since it seems like many of you have these and know a good deal about them would you recommend the 56 or 56mm objective? I have plenty of room over the front handguard so i'm not too worried about clearance but I'm not sure how much appreciable difference there might be.
Also what are your guys thoughts on zero stops, it seems many on here really like them, but what are the practical advantages is it reallt that easy to adjust and forget you elevation??
Oh! and what reticle do you guys like (i've been eye'n the NP-R1)

Thanks again guys! </div></div>Go large or go home! The 56mm is the same price! So why not? ie get the 56mm.

Kinda what I was thinking but I see where the 50mm is offered with the Hi-speed elevation turret (hopefully negating the "need" for a zero stop) but i'm not seeing it in the 56mm
cry.gif