• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship summer shooting sling with M1A

knightshadow10

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2006
tupelo, ms
I have always used a sweat shirt, under a GI shooting jacket.. all year...as I am getting older, and don't compeat...I want to shoot cooler...my question is what do you use on your sling arm in the summer..I shoot GI web slings...long sessions tend to give me arm pinch and fatigue with nothing for the sling to rest on..thanks,, KS10

Re: summer shooting sling with M1A

When I was shooting for the guard we had to shoot in Little Rock in Aug or Sept.( Winston P. Wilson National Guard Champinonships) I used (and still do) sweatshirts under my shooting jacket regardless how hot it got, and its gets plenty hot and humid in Little Rock.

What I did was soak he sweatshit in water/ice before I went to the line. It helps a lot and make it bearable. Normaly you're though shooting by the time you finish you stage before it starts getting too hot again.

I was living in Alaska at the time and was not use to the heat.

Watch your position. If your (trigger hand) elbow slides a bit you will get the skin abraded on your mat. I get this even with just a sweatshirt. (I can't use the same prone in with the .30 caliber service rifle that I can with the AR)

I have huge veins but have yet to notice my pulse translate to my rifle (Perhaps I'm doing it wrong). So I just wear an elbow pad during the summer here in GA. The cheap ones from the sporting goods section of Walmart seem to work best. They are just foam with no hard plastic that can cause sliding or rocking. A shooting jacket is just way too hot when its 101 degrees and 90% humidity.