• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sun Shade for scopes

Booty

Minuteman
Sep 19, 2010
Southern Oregon
www.nicindustries.com
Hello Everybody,
Do most of you guys use the sun shade on your scopes? I bought a Bushnell 6500 Elite 2.5-16X42 and it came with the sun shade and I don't know much about it. What is the pluses and the negatives?

Booty

Re: Sun Shade for scopes

The positive,if you are shooting in a certain direction it will keep the sun from shinning in your scope.

Negative, none, if its not needed or gets in the way, take it off.

Protects the lenses while in the woods.
Keeps the sunlight glare off - helps the shooter, and off the game so the game is not spooked.
Some folks just like the looks of it or "extended" appearance.

Some people will actually roll a dark paper tube extension that extends just short of the muzzle. It serves to prevent barrel heat 'mirage' from distorting the scope image during sustained fire, as with match shooting. The tube does not extend to or beyond the muzzle because muzzle blast can damage it. Some folks attach the tube with velcro dots. There is some question whether attaching the tube to the barrel can affect barrel harmonics.

Greg

i almost always shoot without mine, but 2 weeks ago I was re-zeroing in the morning before an antelope hunt (facing the sun) and had a terrible time keeping the sun glare under control. Had to have a cousin stand off to the side so his body was casting a shadow over my objective. The ARD just wasn't cutting it in that scenario.
It was a time I wished I had brought it with me. If you have it, keep it handy, they are made and included for a reason.

The only negative (thats easy to fix) is that in low light situations with improper zoom it can make it harder to see, but thats easily fixed by backing down your zoom and taking it off.

The sun shade is exactly what it sounds like lol. If your getting a glare or your hunting and don't want to spook your game, then you should use it. I've never used mine but I always keep it in my case just in case I would need to.

I like my sun shade, it works really good when there’s any kind of glare out, it keeps my lens cleaner, “IMO” it really doesn’t get in the way and it gives me a place to have some fun with.. Ie I painted up a naked lady on a can of whoop ass..
shocked.gif
anim_rofl2.gif

IMG_7427-2.jpg

IMG_7441-3.jpg

Plus it just looks cool.. Hahahaaa..
greensupergrin.gif

IMG_7447-5.jpg

Sorry guys.. I’ve got to be me.. hahaaa.

Link

Thanks Sir.. That NF was a pain to paint, I had to get all the numbers and letters just right.. But I was / am really happy with how it all turned out..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks Sir.. That NF was a pain to paint, I had to get all the numbers and letters just right.. But I was / am really happy with how it all turned out..

</div></div>

Awesome paint job. That looks SICK!!!

Booty

Thank you sir..

Here’s a better shot at the details.. My Dad always told me as I was growing up, Boy.. The devil is the in the details….

IMG_7406-3.jpg

IMG_7425-4.jpg

IMG_7431-6.jpg

It’s really nothing more than a paint stick, a few fine paint brushes, a bottle of wine and few mind numbing hour’s madness, agonizing over the smallest of detail… ahhh good times.. hahahaaa

Damn, I can't even imagine getting into that much detail on the scope. That really is some good work Link.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkpimp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thank you sir..

Here’s a better shot at the details.. My Dad always told me as I was growing up, Boy.. The devil is the in the details….

IMG_7406-3.jpg

IMG_7425-4.jpg

IMG_7431-6.jpg

It’s really nothing more than a paint stick, a few fine paint brushes, a bottle of wine and few mind numbing hour’s madness, agonizing over the smallest of detail… ahhh good times.. hahahaaa
</div></div>

What coatings do you use? Do you ever use Cerakote?

Booty