• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sun shade question

Swan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
San Diego, CA
Just curious, if shooting from shaded cover mostly, is the sun shade necessary? Will glare be more of an issue with it off?

Re: Sun shade question

I like a sunshade just to keep the objective recessed from harm's way a bit even if not needed for sun shading per se.

A good ARD like the USO one will give you better depth perception when target is in shaded cover, without sacrificing image quality or brightness (tight honeycombs give up too much image quality in my opinion).

I bought an ard device,made by Sunguard,for my S&B. With this brand I could tell a difference in brightness/clarity during use, but it does kill the reflection. Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just curious, if shooting from shaded cover mostly, is the sun shade necessary?</div></div>

No. It's only job is to shade the objective lens. So if the objective is already shaded, then a sunshade is not needed.

A sunshade doesn't just serve to keep direct sunlight off your objective lens and thereby avoid reflections, it also helps to keep stray light out of your optics and thus improves image quality. Most photographers don't need the sunshades on their lenses for camouflage.

For range work, I make my own mirage tube from heavy black construction paper.

I make it with about a 1/16" larger inner diameter than the scope objective bell, to allow some airflow and prevent any binding when I adjust the objective, and allow it to extend about 1/2" to the rear beyond where the objective enters the tube. Front ends flush or just slightly short of the muzzle.

Mounting is with stick-on Velcro dots.

Makes a huge difference when the barrel heats up.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sunshade keeps rain off objective during British summer.</div></div>

+1 on the sun/rain shade, it sure helps during the wet west coast winters, even from a covered bench the rain always seems to land on the scope objective lens.

/cl