• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sunglass suggestions

jeo556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
Looking for a pair of sunglasses that are rugged and don't cost an arm and a leg. So far I'm interested in the ESS Flyby and the Wiley-X XI-1 but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, I have a more narrow face so I'd appreciate something that will not look like wings hanging off my face.

Thanks guys.

Re: Sunglass suggestions

I really like the ballistic Rudy Project ones, wear them all the time, on and off the range. There are a lot of coupon codes out there making their prices better.

I just got a pair of Oakley five's Squared about a month ago and I love them. I have a smaller face and they fit great. Work great too.

here are a couple other threads discussing eyewear albeit most of the items discussed are pricy (well for me at least. The $80 for Oakley's was a lot for me but so far worth it)

https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3302715

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3378561&page=1

If anyone needs a ESS 40% off discount code please drop me a PM

I just got the oakley flak jackets. If you are LE or Mil you can get them pretty cheap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking for a pair of sunglasses that are rugged and don't cost an arm and a leg. So far I'm interested in the ESS Flyby and the Wiley-X XI-1 but I'm open to suggestions.

Also, I have a more narrow face so I'd appreciate something that will not look like wings hanging off my face.

Thanks guys. </div></div>

I like the smiths as they seem to be really durable, plus most are polarized lenses.
http://www.smithoptics.com/products/#/Elite+Protective+Eyewear/

+1, I've been wearing Oakley Fives for years, I typically have two pairs. They're made for people with narrow faces and are the only pair of sunglasses I'm actually comfortable exercising/running in. They don't interfere with Kevlar or CVC helmets either. For the price they are pretty rugged, I've had a few pairs that were sat on or thrown in a pack and smashed; the only thing that will happen is that the temple will pop off, you can easily pop it back on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triceratops3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a pair of Oakley five's Squared about a month ago and I love them. I have a smaller face and they fit great. Work great too.

here are a couple other threads discussing eyewear albeit most of the items discussed are pricy (well for me at least. The $80 for Oakley's was a lot for me but so far worth it)

https://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3302715

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3378561&page=1</div></div>

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. A coworker actually has the Oakley five squared and they fit my face well so I'm interested in them as well. The Maui Jims look amazing but I'm not that spendy, at least with sun glasses.

My only concern now is will the Oakley's hold up like the Wiley X's or ESS. I'm not too careful with delicate things and my two year old son's favorite thing to be besides shit is destroy my glasses.

I also have the Oakley 5's they are very good and durable.Under the usstandard issue if you qualify they are not to bad price wise

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jaym_100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got the oakley flak jackets. If you are LE or Mil you can get them pretty cheap. </div></div>

If your referring to US Standard Issue, they will make the same deal to Non LE/Mil federal employees. Submit a copy of your photo ID for the agency you work for and you will have access to the website.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the suggestions guys. A coworker actually has the Oakley five squared and they fit my face well so I'm interested in them as well. The Maui Jims look amazing but I'm not that spendy, at least with sun glasses.

My only concern now is will the Oakley's hold up like the Wiley X's or ESS. I'm not too careful with delicate things and my two year old son's favorite thing to be besides shit is destroy my glasses. </div></div>

I own Oakley Flak Jackets, because I told the salesman I wanted something polarized, rugged, and Z87 rated for work. He thew a pair of them on the ground and stomped on them. He then picked up the pieces and snapped everything back together. They are made to snap apart rather than break. Very rugged.

Oakley Half Jackets here. They have been dropped and kicked around multiple times, still in one piece. I like all the lens options you get too.

Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up trying on a pair of Maui Jim's and couldn't believe how comfortable they were so I scored a pair. It was more than I wanted to spend but I think they'll be worth it. Again, I appreciate all the feedback and advice.

I wish I would've seen this before ya ordered! I have had nothing but awesome reviews of the new Edge tactical eyewear line. I recently sent a pair to a soldier in Afghanistan to compare against the many pairs of Oakleys he wears and this was his response to me:

"Hey man, I got the glasses in the mail today. I am super picky when it comes to what I wear in uniform cause very few sun glasses fit good with the way we have to wear our hats... but these things are the best fitting I have ever worn! I actually like them better than my Oakleys and will be wearing these alot."

Mike