• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sunshade Removal

Yachtee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
New Orleans, LA, USA
Does anyone know any tricks or techniques for removing a sunshade without making it squeak? I know I could use teflon tape but I don't want all the white mess everywhere. I have to use one where I deer hunt but whenever I go to screw or unscrew it their is always a very loud squeaking sound. Any input is appreciated. The scope is an 6-24 IOR Valdada.

Thanks
Yachtee

Re: Sunshade Removal

Wax works. You will need the type that is harder than a normal candle wax but will not flow when heated. You can pick it up at a welding supply. Or you can try dry graphite.

grasp in hand, twist?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wax works. You will need the type that is harder than a normal candle wax but will not flow when heated. You can pick it up at a welding supply. Or you can try dry graphite. </div></div>

Would bow string wax work? Will wax or graphite make more of a mess and which will last the longest?

Try using Sentry Solutions BP-2000

Its a moly based dry lube powder... it might work

They also sell another product that lubes actions and bolts... it comes in a syringe.

Perhaps even putting smooth kote on the threading of the sunshade... it is also a dry lubricant used for barrels.

I vote for automotive anti-seize compound.

It's a pretty heat-resistant grease base, I think it's synthetic enough or something to not go totally solid in cold down to 20 F IME, and the aluminum powder in it prevents that evil bugaboo of galling the threads.

Then again, professional fishing guides used to keep the ferrules on breakdown fishing poles from getting stuck together by rubbing them on that oily spot at the base of your nose. But if you do that with sunshade threads, check the mirror after...it can be kinda like rolling a quarter off your nose, if you know what I mean.

You can get a small tube of graphite powder at Lowes or Wally World where they cut keys. It's available for key locks to keep them working without gunking them up with something oily that'll hold onto dust and such. Cheap and should function just fine for the purpose of the sunshade squeak. Just apply at home in a wind free environment and you should be good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdgray</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why don't you just leave it on? </div></div>

That's what I was thinking. Less unscrewing and more hunting.

I'm thinking Crayola...
No really, zippers, etc. use a crayon and it will solve the wax problems with out the expensive stuff.
It works.
Chad

Never had the opportunity yet the use one of my scopes with the sunshade on, and then taking it off to see the difference...

Is it a big difference?

Bad for night shooting i take it?

There's also the dry graphite lube that comes in a little tube for Cub Scout pinewood derby cars. Use it very sparingly.

The only issue with the anti-seize I can see is that it gets on everything when you are going to put the sunshade away in your pack. They make a high temp copper impregnated version that's got a more usable temp range.

I've used both on wheel lugs and it's perfectly usable down to sub zero F temps. If you try to hunt Antarctica you might have issues with it seizing up.

You might also try imperial sizing wax, I've had very good luck with that on scope turret caps, and it doesn't get all over the place either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never had the opportunity yet the use one of my scopes with the sunshade on, and then taking it off to see the difference...

Is it a big difference?

Bad for night shooting i take it? </div></div>

Nope.