• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Sunshades?

USNIGHTGUNNER

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Happy Thanksgiving to all.......

I'm looking for opinions on the use of a sunshade on a rifle scope? For those that run them, do you see a noticeable difference with their use?

I always have a sunshade on my riflescope, (as well as my camera lenses,) it's a great way to protect the objective lens from stuff and that's my main reason for having it on.

Beyond that, I have had to shoot matches when the Sun was very close to the line of sight. I remember a specific time in Lodi during a fall match in the late afternoon when I was shooting West almost into the setting Sun. Without the sunshade, it would have been near impossible.

Reactions: Charlie112
Yes, and beyond cutting glare when shooting in the direction of the sun, they also do a pretty good job of keeping rain off the objective- so long as the rifle isn’t staged muzzle up.

Reactions: Charlie112
I was hunting one time and had some deer pop up that I wanted to glass using my riflescope. It was late in the afternoon and had the sun blasting right at me. The glare was so bad it really made the scope useless.

I know I have a picture somewhere but it's been about 3 hunting seasons that I'm not gonna look for it.

What others have said, I generally keep one on to protect my objective lense and keep rain off ect, but yes they do help with the sun. You can tell at dusk, the sunshade makes it a little darker when you start losing light

I run one for all the above mentioned reasons as well as I find it can also help to cut mirage and seems to give me a clearer image at times, that may have something to do with my astigmatism but I'm no scientist.

I always run with a shade on my scope. As others have already said, it gives some degree of protection to the objective lens and seems to aid with barrel mirage to some degree as well at high magnification. Also, when you need it as a shade you need it *now* and are screwed without it. I think it improves contrast as well by eliminating off axis light from entering the scope.

VooDoo

Reactions: Taylorbok
I use a beer cozy with the bottom cut out, I can pull it back when I might need the extra light? I dunno but I definitely use it when I am shooting into the sun.

The only "mirage" that gets cut or lessened by a sunshade is the heat rising from the barrel. In F-Class we use mirage shields on top of the barrel to divert the heat rising from the barrel during strings of fire. On my F-TR match rifle, my mirage shield starts where my sunshade ends and goes to my barrel tuner.

I keep the sun shade on at all times even in low light where it slightly makes it a darker image. I dont see a downside to not using it.