• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Super DIY solid reloading bench

mcdoosh

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2014
Hi all I've been lurking for a while and thought I would jump into the fray with pics of the reloading bench I built yesterday. I used Simpson Strong Tie brackets. My requirements were:

- workable height for standing or sitting on barstool -- 36"
- Super sturdy construction as the bench will not abut any walls on any side.
- No rail between the front legs so that I can put my feet under the bench while working.

I found the Simpson Strong Tie brackets to be very strong, effective, and they made the assembly super easy. I basically used the specs on the Simpson website except that I wanted a little hangover on the front and sides for clamping things.

DIY Project Ideas

Plus I used 2x6 for the rails rather than 2x4s, because I wanted max stability. And I used two 3/4" plywood tops for the surface. All in all it came out pretty good considering I aint no carpenter.

I am going to attach a pegboard to the back and possibly add a top shelf later.

All in all, I am really happy with the way this came out. The main thing is that it is fricking stout. There is zero flex or wobble whatsoever, even with my entire weight on it, and even with the absence of the front rail.

bench2.jpg

Welcome to the Hide and congratulations on the new bench. I've used those brackets to help students build benches and found them to do a very good job. As Sierracharlie338 said, "you will want a shelf". If a bench is too light, it can move when operating the press, especially when sizing. Another option is to bolt it to the floor.

Again, welcome...Sig Marine

So based on the advice I think I'll get that top and bottom shelf installed now.

Thanks everyone!

I like it. Also Menards sells southern yellow pine. It's twice the weight of the cheap "whitewood" you get from home depot and Lowes. It's also much more rigid. It make for great heavy reloading benches.