• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Super light 22 rifles

TheNewRoman

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2012
I've been wondering is there any 22 rifle thats lighter and better then the Marlin papoose. Which is 3.25 pounds (1.47 KG) and from what i've seen it's also pretty good in reliable and accuracy for what it cost and how light it is.

Because i've looked around to see if anything is better and there doesn't really seem to be so. In term of a very light 22 rifle that your could easy carry into the wilderness for just target practice or small game hunting.

Re: Super light 22 rifles

I don't know exactly what a Tactical Solutions weighs, but very,very light. Aluminum action and aluminum sleeved barrel.
Check it out.

Eddie

There barrel and receiver are very nice but with just them, it weighs 2.40 lb which means a stock would make it heavier, but then again I'd cut most the handguard off and skeletonize the butt. So maybe it would weigh less than the papoose, but it cost a lot more.
Which kinda says a lot about the papoose when you think about. And thats what I'm kinda getting at, for around it's price range which is like $288-325 can you really surpass it without spending way more.

Also if you can't tell I like the idea of super light weight, because i've hiked with a 80 pack and boy did it suck. Now I never want to go away from a 40 pound pack again, since with that i can atleast go 20+ miles in a day.

It's not the cheapest option but at 15.5oz it's about your lightest option. www.packrifle.com

pack_rifle_1-tm-tfb.png

I thought those were just a joke not real rifles, when i saw a picture of them earlier today.

I really like my papoose. Had the barrel threaded and it shoots as well as you could expect.

The magnum research 10/22 copy with a carbon fiber barrel is very light weight. Not a cost effective gun by any means but pretty fun

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anybody mention the Henry AR-7?
</div></div>

Probably for good reason.

I made the mistake of buying one. It's a cheap POS. One might make a case for a boat gun but those pirates will get your booty when it jams.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anybody mention the Henry AR-7?
</div></div>

I made the mistake of buying one. It's a cheap POS. One might make a case for a boat gun but those pirates will get your booty when it jams.</div></div>

Thats the reason i didn't mention it, plus the fact it's heavier than the papoose to. And the idea here is to get that get 22 rifle but without getting a piece junk, going poor, or having more weight.

When I read your post I thought of a fraken-AR I threw together.

It's a model-1 sales ar-15 pencil barrel A2 (carry-handle) upper with a CMMG .22lr conversion bolt on a Bushy lower. It's surprising accurate, light, and very reliable (black dog mags) once I get a few minor bugs worked out of it.
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=302
The FS is obviously uneeded and extra weight.

Since the buffer is unneeded, you can also use a skeleton side-folder stock kit instead of a tele.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheNewRoman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did anybody mention the Henry AR-7?
</div></div>

I made the mistake of buying one. It's a cheap POS. One might make a case for a boat gun but those pirates will get your booty when it jams.</div></div>

Thats the reason i didn't mention it, plus the fact it's heavier than the papoose to. And the idea here is to get that get 22 rifle but without getting a piece junk, going poor, or having more weight.</div></div>

Never heard much about it, either positive or negative. Thanks for the headsup.

Doing a little research on that Pack Rifle that someone mentioned above and its a pretty near concept. Only think I don't like is the action. Think I'd prefer to stick with the cricket bolt action that I linked. At 16 0Z, the weight is basically the same.

-The Kid.

I've got the Marlin 70PSS, aka Papoose, and the Ruger 10/22 Takedown. The Marlin is easier to pack around and is as accurate, if not a bit more accurate, than the 10/22 TD. It's perfect on the rack of an atv.