• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Super-sniper emerges in Fayetteville w/ 316 kills

Inogame

Counter of Beans
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
NW Indiana
Super-sniper emerges in Fayetteville w/ 316 “confirmed” kills
Posted By McQ • [July 05, 2011]

I’m always somewhat naively amazed by stories like this (Google cache version – original link has been pulled – HT: 1995wxman) because I have to wonder how these guys think they can get away with claims like this. The first thing that obviously catches your eye are the inordinate number of ARCOMs and AAMs the man claims (54?). He claims he was a Ranger and claims “six Overseas Service ribbons for combat” but no CIB (all this apparently dutifully written up without question by the “reporter”). And of course the award from the “emperor of Saudi Arabia” along with “several dozen others”. Several dozen, mind you:

Jeff "Rock" Harris refuses to display his medals and honors in his Kinston home.

He tries to keep the awards - three Purple Hearts, two Silver Stars, a Bronze Star, 23 Army Commendation Medals, 31 Army Achievement Medals, six Overseas Service ribbons for combat, an award from the emperor of Saudi Arabia, along with several dozen others, he acquired during his time as a U.S. Army Ranger - packed away. However, those around him refuse to let him forget how important his time in the military was.

Yeah, I can understand why he refuses to display them (someone wondered what the gross poundage of the oak leaf clusters would be). Then this:

"I have 316 confirmed kills as a sniper, and that's only in that last three years I was in the Army," Harris said. "Every one of those horrifies me regularly because they were somebody's children, somebody's husband or father."

He still feels conflicted about what he had to do, but in the end, he knew it was his duty as a sworn soldier.

"They're bad people and they've done bad things, but who am I to take that away from them?" he asked. "But it was my job to do. Lives were safer because of that - but it's never easy."

Gee, really? 316 confirmed kills, eh? Funny, but the 4 most storied snipers in our recent history, the top four snipers, only had a little over 400 confirmed kills between them. So here we have super-sniper who apparently absolutely no one knows about and he killed almost 3 times the confirmed number of our most lethal sniper, Adelbert Waldron (109 confirmed) had in VN. In fact he so badly outshot Chuck Mawinny (103 confirmed -VN), Eric England (98 confirmed-VN) and Carlos Hathcock (93 confirmed-VN) that he ought to be a legend in the SpecOps community.

Except apparently no one there has ever heard of him.

Finally there is this bit of “corroboration” which is just as puzzling:

James Murphy served in the Army as a Ranger with Harris and said he wouldn't be alive if not for Harris' heroic actions. Murphy recalled after he and another soldier were hit by a rocket-propelled grenade in Mogadishu, Harris ran to their position and carried both of them a half-mile away "not knowing if we were alive or not." He drove them to safety in a burning vehicle and returned to continue to fight.

"If you know him, you are privileged," Murphy said. "If you served with him, you were in the presence of a true American patriot. If he is your friend, you should be honored. He gives hope to humanity that there are still decent, amazing people all around you."

Mmmm … half-mile. Didn’t know if they were alive or dead (really?). Drove them to safety in a burning vehicle. Huh … so that relief taskforce in Mogadishu wasn’t really necessary – all they had to do was follow super-sniper out … in his burning vehicle. Hey, at least it would be easy to follow.

Of course this should all be easy to check out – as I recall, it was B Co., 3rd Bat, 75th Ranger RGT that was at Mogadishu. This nonsense has already caught the attention of the US Army Ranger Association (that’s where I found out about it). Their quick internal checks came up empty on the guy and Murphy.

Two questions – how does a person think such a story will pass undetected and unchallenged? The irony is this piece was in the Fayetteville Observer. Yeah, that’s right, the newspaper of the town in which Ft. Bragg, NC is located. Yeah, no one there is going to notice, are they?

Which brings me to the second question – how does something like this get through the editorial process without being heavily questioned, especially in a paper that should have a staff thoroughly educated in the military given their proximity and the huge part the base plays in the life of the town? Whatever happened to fact checking? What ever happened to knowing enough about your subject that you’re not as easily gulled as these folks appear to have been?

Anyway, something tells me this isn’t going to turn out well for “Rock”.

~McQ

Original Post:
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2011/07/su...s.html#comments

Re: Super-sniper emerges in Fayetteville w/ 316 kills

WOW..... there is a lot there that is just too ridiculous sounding... not sure how someone would expect that to go over at all?

Carried 2 people a half mile?? lol.. at the same time??

someone is going to be shamed beyond belief me thinks very soon .I hope he gets a ranger visit

I wonder how the King of Saudi Arabia feels about the Emperor of Saudia Arabia?

Wow.... just eff'ing WOW.... That right there is a pure and unadulterated IDIOT. How do you even begin to be so naive as to think you can get away with such a tall tale?

url]

OK Read that article here:

http://www.kinston.com/news/kinston-74888-recalls-army.html

I'm not certain on this one. If the Rangers say he was there, he was there.

316 kills and that was only in the last 3 years? Confirmed or "Probable"?

He sounds moral about it. Nobody wants to take another persons life, but nobody wants to give terrorists credit either, if you don't believe in the mission get out.

The story sounds fishy but we'll wait until the facts emerge...

Anyone that survived Mogadishu has my respect.

I once saw this douche bag at San Antonio Airport when I was coming home on RR, he was wearing Class B's, of course CSM Rank, and a left chest with not the authorized 4 badges, but 8! (saw HALO/SCUBA/CIB/EIB/EFMB/ABorne/AA and was lost after that) Yes, and a rack that stuck up and over his shoulder. A goldGerman shoetzenshneir <--spelling, blue brassard, DI and Recruiting Badge, both gold, and 6 unit citations. He was waving us in and acting like he was for real. Plus he was about 69 or so. I simply thanked him for being there, and took a mental snap shot of what not to be later in life.

.....there had to be theme music involved here...............

I had the opportunity to meet Carlos Hathcock back in 1992 after reading Charles Hendersons' Marine Sniper. I think I have found the place to post right here shortly. It is a good and humorous meeting and I can say one thing, he was one of the most humble people I have ever met.

What a douche, I was assigned to Bco 3/75 on Nov 4th 1993 one month to the day after the BHD incident and this clown was not there. I have passed this info to one of the guys I know that tracks impostors claiming to be part of TF Ranger, He was there on Oct 3rd and 4th 1993.

I was with TF 1/64, on an M1 at the Paki soccer stadium and surrounding areas. This of course, was after the fact, but we were pumped, hoping we could sling HEAT and MPAT rounds down some alleys.

There is already a group that has proved this guy is full of shit. I think it was Jouster(??).com or something like that.

I dunno, I think it's possible. When I was a Navy SEAL and Air Force Commando, I single handily killed 2,000 and that's with an broken M4 all while hanging from the wing (one handed mind you) of an F-16 going mach-3. Of course my real kill number and this story never hit the news because it's all G-14 classified by the Chinese secret service...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was with TF 1/64, on an M1 at the Paki soccer stadium and surrounding areas. This of course, was after the fact, but we were pumped, hoping we could sling HEAT and MPAT rounds down some alleys. </div></div>

Was he shot in the leg as he claimed?

Glad you made it out, can't hardly watch BHD without getting my blood boiling.
That entire mess could have been avoided by the AC/130's that were sitting on the runway by presidential order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Inogame</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Which brings me to the second question – how does something like this get through the editorial process without being heavily questioned, especially in a paper that should have a staff thoroughly educated in the military given their proximity and the huge part the base plays in the life of the town? Whatever happened to fact checking? What ever happened to knowing enough about your subject that you’re not as easily gulled as these folks appear to have been?</div></div>

One day while having a conversation about "journalists" with a client they provided an astute line of thought - who becomes a journalist, and why? If you start from that point and work back toward the questions above, it is hard to imagine that an editorial staff worth their collective weight in fecal matter didn't realize that this story - esp in that community - should have been vetted, and that the story was a little too over the top to begin with. However, and going back to 'who becomes a journalist?' - can't you just see them over time? Seething with contempt, being forced to live a in community full of testosterone and values largely not their own. Where the biggest show in town isn't something they were even remotely eligible for at any point in their own lives primarily due to their own personalities.

The editors KNEW what they were doing.

Good luck

I've been "in" for a minute, but I've NEVER seen anyone (including CSM's and Generals) that were sporting 23 ARCOMs (or 31 AAMs, for that matter). And I've seen some very decorated SOB's out there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was with TF 1/64, on an M1 at the Paki soccer stadium and surrounding areas. This of course, was after the fact, but we were pumped, hoping we could sling HEAT and MPAT rounds down some alleys. </div></div>

I was in during BHD with the 3/187. To this day I still don't know how 10th Mountain beat us to Mog but that's another story.

I swear I don't think I have ever met a "Ranger" who was wasn't in BHD.

I will never understand why people need to BS about military service.

You never meet a cook or the laundry person or even payroll. Everyone is a super secret squirrel commando posing as a chief on a hijacked train
shocked.gif

Hell people ask me what I did and then think I was a fire fighter lol

I have 132 confirmed kills...

I brought 6 cases of Yuengling out here to Sacramento
back in March and I've killed all of them but the last 12-pack.
(California beer Sucks).

Shooting for 144 "kills" by the end of July when I finish them up.
Wish me luck.
yuengling.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EmergencyNrse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 132 confirmed kills...

I brought 6 cases of Yuengling out here to Sacramento
back in March and I've killed all of them but the last 12-pack.
(California beer Sucks).

Shooting for 144 "kills" by the end of July when I finish them up.
Wish me luck.
yuengling.jpg
</div></div>

I support you in this noble effort! Be safe!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was with TF 1/64, on an M1 at the Paki soccer stadium and surrounding areas. This of course, was after the fact, but we were pumped, hoping we could sling HEAT and MPAT rounds down some alleys. </div></div>

Was he shot in the leg as he claimed?

Glad you made it out, can't hardly watch BHD without getting my blood boiling.
That entire mess could have been avoided by the AC/130's that were sitting on the runway by presidential order. </div></div>

No idea man. It's easy to make it out when you're behind 3 feet of CHOBUM armor and a 120mm smooth boore. But we didn't do much other than "show" force and scramble a few times. Now, if Cheney got his request through Clinton and the U.N. as he wanted, there would have been a combined arms force on the ground at the very on-set. What pissed us off the most, was Clinton flying Aideed to Europe, on an Air Force plane, afterwards, for talks. Believe this is a main reason Cheney resinged as SECDEF too.

Les Aspin was the Sec DEf at the time.

From Wikipedia;

In September, General Powell asked Aspin to approve the request of the U.S. commander in Somalia for tanks, armored vehicles and AC-130 Spectre gunships for his forces. Aspin turned down the request. Shortly thereafter Aidid's forces in Mogadishu killed 18 U.S. soldiers and wounded more than 75 in attacks that also resulted in the shooting down of three U.S. helicopters and the capture of one pilot (see the Battle of Mogadishu). In the face of severe congressional criticism, Aspin admitted that in view of what had happened he had made a mistake, but stated that the request for armored equipment had been made within the context of delivering humanitarian aid to Somalia rather than protecting troops. In an appearance before a congressional committee to answer questions about the Somalia disaster, Aspin made an unfavorable impression and appeared weak in response to the detailed probing and criticism of his performance. The president publicly defended Aspin but made clear that the White House was not involved in the decision not to send armor reinforcements to Somalia. Several members of Congress called on Clinton to ask for Aspin's resignation.
On 15 December 1993 President Clinton announced Aspin's resignation, for personal reasons. Given the problems that Aspin encountered during his short term, most obviously the losses in Mogadishu, observers assumed that the president had asked him to step down. Speculation in the media centered on the Somalia embarrassment and on Aspin's differences with the Office of Management and Budget over how much the Defense budget should be cut. The secretary's health problems, of course, may well have also been a factor. One news magazine stated that Aspin's major handicap was "neither his famously unmilitary bearing nor his inability to discipline himself or the enormous Pentagon bureaucracy; it is his politician's instinct for the middle ground on defense issues." Aspin continued to serve as secretary of defense until February 3, 1994, when William J. Perry took office.

I didn't think Cheney stayed on when the administrations changed (Bush to Clinton), so I looked it up. Not trying to one up you and thanks for your service.

I was never a fan of Aspin. This only punctuated his incompetence.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I didn't think Cheney stayed on when the administrations changed (Bush to Clinton), so I looked it up. Not trying to one up you and thanks for your service.

I was never a fan of Aspin. This only punctuated his incompetence. </div></div>

No problem man. I just remember reading about it in the Army Times and on AFN, and all the brass talking about it. Don't know why I thought it was Cheney. I also remember talking to a bunch of 10th legs in the chow tent about a bang bang that caught an RPG to the chest and lived. Guess it was too close when fired to arm itself.

Sounds like BS..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He belongs in jail.

http://www.blackfive.net/main/2011/07/jeff-rock-harris-finally-turns-into-a-bit-of-pea-gravel.html

http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/...s_is_challenged </div></div>

I gave the benefit of the doubt, maybe Ranger, Maybe in the Mog.

But now I don't even give that, I think he is 100% BS. He may have been in supply or something, who knows.

Be curious what he really did now.