• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Super Sniper History

Tinbendur

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2010
TN, USA
My SS scopes are made by Tasco. I have noticed that the owner of SWFA has bought out the SS line or something. Whats the history?
smile.gif

Re: Super Sniper History

They were infact owned by Tasco at one time. But Tasco just contracts their scopes out to foreign optic companies as do many brand names. I think Tasco was the 2nd or 3rd owners of the Super Sniper brand. They were originally spec-ed out to compete for a military contract. IIRC it was Hoffman Enterprises for a Navy Contract. Currently they are made in Japan by one of the big optics companies there to the specs that SWFA requests. Similar to the original but beefed up in certain areas and better optics have been added. Supposedly the originals were well built and tough scopes. But when Tasco took them over the quality started to go down as they started cutting corners to increase their profit margin. SWFA took them over from Tasco and fixed the quality issues. They still ship with Tasco instructions in the box to keep the costs down a little more. Tasco must have had a ton of them printed. SWFA is able to sell them for so cheap because they did not have to do all the R&D on them initially plus they sell them direct. They don't have to go through the factory, then supplier, then distributer, then marketer, then reseller, then cosumer all adding their fees into the mix. Originally I believe they sold for $800 per scope when Hoffman sold them.

Chances are that your's are SWFA scopes, they still ship w/ Tasco instructions

Re: Super Sniper History

I think mine actually said Tasco on the white box. I have one other 12X40. Thanks for the info.