• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Super SNIPER Palmetto State Armory 6.5 Creedmoor? (REVIEW)

gritz55

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
Colorado Springs, CO
So I got a PSA 6.5 creedmoor AR, Basically the guy at the gun store said it was the EXACT model that was currently being adopted by SOCOM, So I had to get it.

And boy it didn't disappoint. I even got a NCSTAR otpic for it, because I'm pretty sure Chris Kyle used that, one shot one kill am I right?

IMG_2001.jpg

haha, Anyways, It came with a 20" barrel which shot sub moa, I sent it away to D.Wilson mfg to have it cut down to 16.5" and accuracy was just the same., I lapped and trued the reciever when installing the 16,5" barrel when I got it back. I mounted a griffin paladin 6.5 brake on there for my suppressor.

I installed an Aero rifle length buffer tube and seekins procomp buttstock, really like it. Super simple and with military discount it was around $100.

Replaced the trigger with a Larue MBT.

BCG that came with it was made by toolcraft, from what I've read apparently they're pretty decent.

I was aiming at building a compact 6.5 creedmoor, and I like it.

Adjustable gas block was easy to set, and once I got it set for the ammo, (hornady American gunner 140 gr) I had zero issues in close to 900 rounds.

I've taken her to 1400 yards, but with the 16" barrel shes a 1200 and in gun. Makes 1000 yard shots pretty easy. (when the wind isnt fucking me good)

ACCURACY
So I've only got pics of the Sellier & bellot groups I shot out of this, but they were half decent as well. The hornady shot equally as well. I should probably do another group test.
IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_1997.jpg

I've got a lot of groups like that, 4 really tight and 1 lil guy trying to get out, Its probably me sucking ass, but who knows.

ISSUES
Only issues I've had were initially the gas setting was not correct, and the bolt catch sheared in half, I replaced with Aero, no issues since. I also had a bad batch of ammo that blew out like 6 primers and did some serious damage to the firing pin and firing pin retaining pin. Both are being replaced, so not a biggy. I contacted PSA and they sent out a replacement within a few days. Although I gotta give credit to Toolcraft, I emailed them after not hearing back from PSA for a few days and they responded within minutes and sent me a new firing pin, no questions asked, their CS was tremendous.
IMG_1924.jpg

MUZZLE VELOCITIES
Shes pushing the hornady Gunner140's at 2555, Although I had a box of Prime ammo 130 grs from years ago, so I gave em a go, and holy shit were they fast, giving me 2800 fps out of the 16.5" barrel.

I only needed 8.5 mils of elevation at 1000 yards compared to my normal 10.5 with the Gunner. So that was wild.

I used those 130's to smack stuff at 1350 with relative ease, ALTHOUGH I did have about 5-6 out of the 20 rounds blow primers, and I'm pretty sure thats what fucked up my firing pin.

I went to do some maintenance on the bolt, and the retaining pin was so dented in from the firing pin smashing back against it, that it was difficult to remove. I knew that the firing pin would eventually break, and it did, AFTER my first competition, 3 rounds after that match, the firing pin broke. So that was neat.

(Anyone else seeing speeds like that out of the PRIME stuff? )

OVERALL
Honestly my plan was to test out the PSA, see how accurate I could get it, and then sell it if it wasn't great. but it works.

It's nothing fancy, but with a few upgrades, (Trigger and buttstock) Its actually a very good shooting rifle. And besides for the ammo induced breakages, it has run flawlessly through 900 rounds, all suppressed, so its running hard, dirty, but accurate.

I'm getting easy sub moa all day and reaches out with precision. I didn't want to like this rifle, and I'm still probably gonna sell it and build up a seekins/criterion setup, but it works, and its fun to shoot, and its accurate damn it. POORS UNITE

Any questions let me know.

(currently shes topped with a 5-25 Vortex Strike Eagle in a Warne 20 MOA mount)

IMG_1623.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 296
900 rnds in and it still shoots tight?

I like the PSA platform as a basic action/barrel upon which to upgrade. The mods I make are primarily about ergonomics, and I use modest BDC optics. The 308 I have is 20" and shoots the IMI 168gr Semi-Auto Match nicely enough. I have handloads to try. It shoots around 1-1.5 MOA for me with factory ammunition, and I'll be happy enough with it if Doom Cracks. I'm no hard charger anymore.

Greg

I’ll offer $750 and a bottle of Cold Duck!

Glad to hear of your results. I have numerous PSA Large Frames, all have been shooters.
My 22" Criterion barreled one is fantastically precise . That barrel is capable of Sub Moa... and can out shoot me.
Enough so that I have a 18" Criterion barrel waiting for install.

FWIW... check you FP's collars for rounded inside edges... the middle one is what I mean.
The middle one bent the heck out of the FP retaining pin on one of mine.... you can see the squared of inside edges on the other 2.
IMG_1041-360221-668347 (2).jpg

Reactions: TACC
Glad to hear of your results. I have numerous PSA Large Frames, all have been shooters.
My 22" Criterion barreled one is fantastically precise . That barrel is capable of Sub Moa... and can out shoot me.
Enough so that I have a 18" Criterion barrel waiting for install.

FWIW... check you FP's collars for rounded inside edges... the middle one is what I mean.
The middle one bent the heck out of the FP retaining pin on one of mine.... you can see the squared of inside edges on the other 2.
View attachment 7443334
So you've rebarreld with the criterion and have had success? I'm torn between keeping the current PSA and rebarreling when the time comes, or just going straight seekins. My firing pin didnt have those rounded edges, Toolcraft that made the BCG for the PSA upper sent me a replacement firing pin and retaining pin within a few days. So shes up and running now.

22" Criterion Hybrid Nitrated SS, PSA Gen II Upper.... Plenty of simple tuning tricks,... 10rds Hornady AG 140gr , 100yds, benched , scoped, bagged, no barrel cool down ( I shoot my AR's like a S/A, not a bench blot gun... etc.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (2).jpg

20" FN CHF CL .308 ( same details ) again simple tuning tricks, 10rds Horn. AG 155gr
IMG_3106_JPG-860403.jpg

PSA .308 Nitrated 18" barrel ( same simple tricks ) DAG 150gr ( ? ) surplus.... 20rds, rapid'ish fire , on target, fire, back on target , fire...
IMG_2475_thumb_711861fafb2654239279af7afabd4f78-708437.jpg

FWIW.... I flubbed both fliers in the first two groups.

22" Criterion Hybrid Nitrated SS, PSA Gen II Upper.... Plenty of simple tuning tricks,... 10rds Hornady AG 140gr , 100yds, benched , scoped, bagged, no barrel cool down ( I shoot my AR's like a S/A, not a bench blot gun... etc.
View attachment 7447156

20" FN CHF CL .308 ( same details ) again simple tuning tricks, 10rds Horn. AG 155gr
View attachment 7447160

PSA .308 Nitrated 18" barrel ( same simple tricks ) DAG 150gr ( ? ) surplus.... 20rds, rapid'ish fire , on target, fire, back on target , fire...
View attachment 7447169

FWIW.... I flubbed both fliers in the first two groups.
Good lawwwd I’m gonna pick me up a criterion then. What are these “simple tricks” you got?

I’ve also got a psa with a heavy FN barrel. Thing shoots sub moa all day. The FN barrels are nice.

Good lawwwd I’m gonna pick me up a criterion then. What are these “simple tricks” you got?

I’ve also got a psa with a heavy FN barrel. Thing shoots sub moa all day. The FN barrels are nice.

Please remember... as always YMMV !

My version of tricks....
Lap the upper receiver face true... use a QUALITY lapping tool... not a Wheeler
Loctite / Shim / Thermo Fit barrel RE into upper receiver.
Snug upper to lower fit... shim as needed, a loose fit can't help anyone consistently "wield" their AR at the bench
Zero chance of gas block to free float handguard contact, while firing.
Smooth, consistent gas tube to gas key interface... ( no binding at all )
A quality Adj. GB, I like the SLR ones.
Tubbs .308 Flatwire recoil spring ( Fits all stock patterns, DPMS pattern carbine , Armalite Pattern carbine , Rifle )
I prefer a heavy buffer weight, 5.3oz for the carbines ( both patterns ) , 9.3oz for my rifle length
A quality trigger, sure makes it "easier" to shoot for groups. ( USGI will work, Lol.... but those require a LOT more concentration to shoot precision groups with )
When shooting for precision, with a variety of ammo or reloads... allow 5rds to season your barrel to the next load / ammo. I have seen groups shrink after those 5 seasoning rds... not every time... but enough to make me certainly notice a improvement.
POA... don't aim at the "dot" ... aim at the top of the dot. ( 12:00 )... and don't shoot holes in your POA, Lol.. allow the impacts to be off your point of aim.

These links are helpful...

https://criterionbarrels.com/media/accurizing-the-ar-15-video-series/?v=00dc5da36527

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/accurize-your-ar-15/247749

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Gas+...lignment+in+the+AR-15+leads+to...-a0364199086

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Gas+...e+never-ending+saga+continues....-a0540679188

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...-to-build-a-truly-accurate-ar-platform-rifle/

befoosh006’s comment about upper to lower fit is spot on. I use a two piece expanding takedown pin in my “precision AR’s” and it can make a difference.

Please remember... as always YMMV !

My version of tricks....
Lap the upper receiver face true... use a QUALITY lapping tool... not a Wheeler
Loctite / Shim / Thermo Fit barrel RE into upper receiver.
Snug upper to lower fit... shim as needed, a loose fit can't help anyone consistently "wield" their AR at the bench
Zero chance of gas block to free float handguard contact, while firing.
Smooth, consistent gas tube to gas key interface... ( no binding at all )
A quality Adj. GB, I like the SLR ones.
Tubbs .308 Flatwire recoil spring ( Fits all stock patterns, DPMS pattern carbine , Armalite Pattern carbine , Rifle )
I prefer a heavy buffer weight, 5.3oz for the carbines ( both patterns ) , 9.3oz for my rifle length
A quality trigger, sure makes it "easier" to shoot for groups. ( USGI will work, Lol.... but those require a LOT more concentration to shoot precision groups with )
When shooting for precision, with a variety of ammo or reloads... allow 5rds to season your barrel to the next load / ammo. I have seen groups shrink after those 5 seasoning rds... not every time... but enough to make me certainly notice a improvement.
POA... don't aim at the "dot" ... aim at the top of the dot. ( 12:00 )... and don't shoot holes in your POA, Lol.. allow the impacts to be off your point of aim.

These links are helpful...

https://criterionbarrels.com/media/accurizing-the-ar-15-video-series/?v=00dc5da36527

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/accurize-your-ar-15/247749

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Gas+tube+alignment:+Proper+gas+tube+alignment+in+the+AR-15+leads+to...-a0364199086

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Gas+Tube+Alignment,+Revisited:+The+never-ending+saga+continues....-a0540679188

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...-to-build-a-truly-accurate-ar-platform-rifle/
Awesome. Good stuff man, i had lapped the reciver, with a wheeler :/ , and then loctited like in that guns and ammo article.

im gonna read some of those links though.

Reactions: bfoosh006
How was the Wheeler tools fit into the upper ?

It was a pretty good fit honestly, I was happy with it. And it seemed to work well.

I'm actually gonna rebarrel this pup with a 16" 308 from Ballistic Adv, I can't get 6.5 anymore so I gotta shift over to 308 for the time being. I'll double check the receiver when I take the 6.5 barrel off.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Not sure if this was covered because I didn't read all of the posts but there is a reason you had blown primers and it's NOT faulty ammo. To run 6.5 Creedmoor with that carrier you need a different Bolt... the JP Precision JPEB-308HP. For some reason there is something about 6.5 Creedmoor and a standard .308 AR Bolt that allows the primers to flow back into the firing pin hole around the firing pin, bends the crap out of the retaining pin and eventually locks up the BCG when the pin gets stuck. The JP Bolt has a smaller hole and firing pin tip so that will not happen.
E.T.A. Maybe I should say you cannot use the standard "Toolcraft" 308 Bolt. Found out the hard way.

Last edited:
Reactions: LRRPF52
Not sure if this was covered because I didn't read all of the posts but there is a reason you had blown primers and it's NOT faulty ammo. To run 6.5 Creedmoor with that carrier you need a different Bolt... the JP Precision JPEB-308HP. For some reason there is something about 6.5 Creedmoor and a standard .308 AR Bolt that allows the primers to flow back into the firing pin hole around the firing pin, bends the crap out of the retaining pin and eventually locks up the BCG when the pin gets stuck. The JP Bolt has a smaller hole and firing pin tip so that will not happen.
E.T.A. Maybe I should say you cannot use the standard "Toolcraft" 308 Bolt. Found out the hard way.

I've got the 6.5 toolcraft bolt, and it uses the smaller hole with the specific smaller diameter firing pin tip as well. I thought that may have been the issues originally, but after looking at it and talking to toolcraft, its basically their version of the JP bolt designed for 6.5.

2800fps with a 130gr 6.5CM from a 16.5” barrel = significant excess chamber pressure, well above SAAMI. Once you start seeing primers failed flow around the firing pin, you’re probably into well over 65,000psi.

I get 2800fps with 130gr VLD and 129gr SST from a 22” .260 Rem gas gun, and have bent at least 3 firing pin retaining pins, wrapped pierced primer molten material in the shape of rings around the firing pin with the standard DPMS larger firing pin aperture.

Bolt catches are notorious for breaking on AR-10s and SR-25s when shot suppressed. Have seen it several times. It even happened during the Army’s SASS competition if I recall.

The issue is too much reciprocating mass at accelerated velocity (from the suppressor pressure accumulation) slamming into the bolt catch on last round hold-open. Shooting .308 Win and any 7mm, 6.5mm, or 6mm-08 variant in the AR-10 suppressed increases the cyclic rate, which in-turn increases the carrier’s forward velocity when going into battery or impacting the bolt catch on LRHO.

Bolt catches need to be made with extra care. The problem you have if the bolt catch is made too hard on the surface is that it will damage the bolt leading edge of the lower lugs. A better design is needed for the bolt catch really on the suppressed large frame guns.

I'm still debating which large frame caliber to do.