• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes super sniper scopes

herren2006

Skin that Smoke Wagon
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2010
alabama
alright guys i got freakin lost on my scope adjustments today. how accurate are your adjustments on your scope. i was using jbm ballistics data today and i was dialing my scope to get in the ballpark. i either dont know what im doing or something. at 475yds. i got 13moa to get there. does this sound right. this is with a 100yd zero and 168gr. hpbt with 2500fps muzzle velocity. i need some help!! im not understanding this correctly.

Re: super sniper scopes

could be with environmental factors included. Doesn't really sound like a lost in revolution issue.

You can run a 168 a lot faster if you want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can run a 168 a lot faster if you want. </div></div>

Once I go over 42.7gr, my groups go to hell so I'm stuck at the 2600fps range.

not to derail your thread..... but, how heavy of a charge and what powder have you tried?

be easy on me! i dont know what charge. i am shooting loads from georgia arms and the mv of 2500 is on the package. i dont have a cronograph yet. im just new at this. i may be wasting your time but it just seemed like alot of adjustment. it is probably me cause the gun performed great after i got the adjustments figured out.

13 MOA is around the right area, did you see where you were hitting? Could be a lot of things that effect it but to know how far your off is the best starting point for you (and us).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sps remytactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">be easy on me! i dont know what charge. i am shooting loads from georgia arms and the mv of 2500 is on the package. i dont have a cronograph yet. im just new at this. i may be wasting your time but it just seemed like alot of adjustment. it is probably me cause the gun performed great after i got the adjustments figured out. </div></div>

well, all of that can eliminate any scope issues right now. 2500 on the box doesn't mean 2500 out of your rifle. It is the speed they got out of their test rifles. Get a chrony and test the speeds. Then plug in the correct environmental values into JBM. Chances are you will be on. If not, we can then look at possible scope and mounting issues.

Putting rounds out and asking questions is not a waste of time.

man im a dumbass. i just answered alot of my confusion in the optics faQs pages. sorry guys. thanks for the info but i didnt mean to waste anyones time. i wont be a newbie one day lol i hope.

I run 2700fps in my pss. from a 100M zero come up is about 8 to get 300M or was it 16...kinda forget unless I go downstairs and dig into my books to get my range book out, but I switched to a 300 zero and now use come downs for lesser ranges..lots easier that way, but your dope sounds about right

mattsnuked. i dialed the first shot on the 475 at 11moa just a guess and barely nicked the bottom of the 12x12 steel. i then dialed to 13 and hit dead center. after that it was on with every shot hitting center of target but sometimes to the right because of the wind.

sounds like your SS scope held, just not the right dope for the round

captainkickass you are right about the mv. i could be more or less. i think i just typed that out of confusion. im going to shoot a 600yd sniper challenge this weekend and im just trying to get my marbles lined up so i will have a straight and clear mind.

Well then, if no chrony, shoot out to 600 in 100yd increments and log the come ups (if you have time)

i will do. i hope i can borrow a rangefinder to do so tomm.

I took the JBM data and used it as a base. Then I shot each range in 50M increments to 450M(that was all I had). My dope for my 175SMK doing 2700fps was within 3 clicks of JBM's output. As long as YOU program JBM with CORRECT data, you should be pretty darn close.
If you reload, and hunt, loading a 175SMK to 2700fps, and loading a 180SMK to 2700fps will yield only a .03MOA difference at range on both JBM and actual dope, or not enough to matter in actual dope

This was my dope for my 22" bbl scout rifle using GA 168gr BTHP, proven to 600 yards. I was averaging 2600fps and used a BC of .460 and it was very close first time out, only changed a few numbers past 250 yards.

Range Traj ComeUp Wndg 10 Wndg 10
(yds) (in) (mils) (in) (mils)
100 0 0 0.8 0.2
150 -1.2 -0.2 1.8 0.3
200 -4 -0.6 3.2 0.4
225 -6 -0.7 4.1 0.5
250 -8.5 -0.9 5.1 0.6
300 -14.9 -1.4 7.5 0.7
350 -23.4 -1.9 10.4 0.8
400 -34.1 -2.4 13.9 1
450 -47.2 -2.9 17.9 1.1
500 -62.9 -3.5 22.6 1.3
550 -81.5 -4.1 27.9 1.4
600 -103.2 -4.8 33.9 1.6
650 -128.3 -5.5 40.6 1.7
700 -157.1 -6.2 48.1 1.9
750 -189.9 -7 56.4 2.1
800 -227.2 -7.9 65.4 2.3

When I tried to shoot this with my 24" FCP-K I saw I was getting closer to 2700 fps (didn't have a chrono today) and now have rerun it and will prove it tomorrow with the new stick.

When I don't have a chrono nor a range finder I step off the ranges, verify ranges via mildot (horiz and vert then avg) then just start shooting thru it and taking notes on my printed dope tables.