• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Super Sniper Variable Power

Re: Super Sniper Variable Power

i saw one on a gun the other day on gun broker. it seemed solid its first focal plane to which puts in in a class w/ falcon. could be something solid for a lower price

I was wondering about the abandoned category title too. SWFA's whole site seems to be kind of weird right now though, pictures not coming through and dead ends when I click on things. I didn't realize that it's FFP, that's cool. Falcon's still got them beat on price, reticles, and mil/mil options though. I'm assuming it's sturdy, they've got a good reputation and I doubt they'd want to wreck it.

It looks like it lacks an AO, a 3x9 FFP Mil-dot with exposed target knobs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baypoint</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it made in Japan or China? </div></div>
Japan

Production serial number 305 has been on one of my bolt rifles for some weeks now.
All of the prototyes have been on my rifles over the last few years.
This is a FFP Mil-Mil scope.
I was skeptical of the lack of parallax adjustment but it's not proved to be worthy of a comment when the scope is used at any distance.
Glass is very nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Production serial number 305 has been on one of my bolt rifles for some weeks now.
All of the prototyes have been on my rifles over the last few years.
This is a FFP Mil-Mil scope.
I was skeptical of the lack of parallax adjustment but it's not proved to be worthy of a comment when the scope is used at any distance.
Glass is very nice. </div></div>

Since they are in the same price range, my big question is, how does it compare to the Sightron S3 3.5-10X44 mildot?

This is great news!!
smile.gif

Normally scopes don't have parallax adjustment in magnifications lower than 10X, so this shouldn't be an issue.

Michael, can you comment a bit more? Turret tracking, durability, optical quality?

Mil-mil and FFP, with elevation turret marked for the second turn too, that's 12 mil or 41.25 MOA in two turns, is that correct?

Will an improved reticle (with 0.5 mil marks) be considered in the future, as well as higher magnification scopes?

Cali,
can't give you an answer, I've never looked through that model Sightron.
But I've played rugby with this, kicked, it hammered it, froze it swam with it, used it on a very light 338 lapua and generally tried to mess it up. No joy.
It tracks, it repeats and it's clear. On a 20 moa base using a 100 yard zero ( 308 win, BH 175 ammunition ) I have 18.4 mils elevation that can be dialed, 18.2 usable remaining.

Edt
Tiro,
5 mil per turn.

That's good to hear. Sounds like it may be a good scope in that price range
smile.gif

Wow, finally....seriously though. This looks to be a well built scope, but I am waiting on what others that have used it will say. I like my SS 10x, but the falcon has replaced that. That thing was a workhorse, and never failed me. It will be interesting to see how these do.

When did these come out?
And wth is wrong with the swfa web site.
I thought the ss variable was only a pipe dream.It will be interesting to see how these do.Does anyone know if these are for sale yet.

To awnser my own question(does that make me crazy)they are in stock so i went ahead and ordered one it should be here in a couple of days.
Next weekend i will take it to the range and shoot up a couple hundred rounds.I will do a box test at a100yrds.I will also shoot out to 600 yrds dialing every 50 yrds and see how it does.I will also return to zero dialing all the way back.
I will post with full details of how it performed.

That is nice to hear. I dont like fixed power optics at all so the SS has never been an option for me. Given the great reputation for value that SS has, I may have to try one of these out for one of my rimfires.

I have one now I am testing out for SWFA, so far it is doing very well, I am very happy with the glass, it is very clear and bright. I will be taking to a LE Sniper class at the end of the month, I hope get more feed back from other LE snipers at the school. I have it on a DPMS SASS right now. SWFA has out done themselfs with this new scope. The scope is price right so all shooters can afford to buy it. These are going to sell like hot cakes when they hit the market.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jephs422</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This seems like a great option for lower end optics, but I really just hope they hold up to the reputation of their fixed power scope.</div></div>

I have been playing with my Variable Super Sniper (Serial Number 6) and the only thing that is kinda "low endish" on it is the price. So far it has been spot on, although admittedly I do not torture my gear nearly as much as Michael does.

ILya

I have one, fantastic scope for the price.

The turrets are tactile, audible (they need to be spun up/down a few times to get a good "click" with each click.)

The turret markings are clear, clicks are well spaced and well defined.

The glass is great for the price.

The locking ocular is a nice feature: set it once, lock it in place, it never moves again.

The power ring has enough resistance to prevent unintentional turning, but not so much to inhibit turning when you want it to.

The reticle is great for 3-9 FFP, never too small to see clearly, not too large on 9X (for all but the most precise shooting.)

The sunshade fits on well, no play, no wobble.

The ARD fits well, no play, no wobble.

For the money, it is a great scope, I am looking forward to the 10x HD!

I don 't know why they didn't just do the 4x16 Xotic... I would much rather have seen a scope with more magnification than 3x9. Just my 2 cents....

My understanding is that it is designed specifically for the DM programs. Everything about it was specifically focused on being a DM scope - but it'll appeal to the deer hunting crowd to.

It is what it is, and I like it. It ain't for a 1,000-yard gun, nor was it designed for that purpose.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catt_tracker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rancid Coolaid, How does the glass compare to your other scopes? catt </div></div>

The glass is actually quite good for the price point. It is, in my opinion, up there with the best stuff coming out of Japan (that I've seen.) It seemed to my eye to be about equal to Nightforce glass.

Below are 2 "through the scope pics" of the SS at 5X (first picture) and a 5X shot through my Swaro AV.

ss3-9x42
ss5x.jpg

Swaro AV 3.5-10x40
Swaro5X.jpg

Koshkin has reminded me that "through the scope pics" aren't the best indicator of optical quality - and I agree with him - but this shows reticle clarity, field of view, and rough optical quality.

For the money, I've not seen anything better. It has good glass, the knobs are a big improvement, the reticle (mil dot) matches the turrets (0.10mil/click), and even for an FFP, the reticle never gets too big or too small.

If you need a good 3-9X scope and want tactical features (target knobs, FFP, mil dot), it is a great little scope.

Thanks for the post <span style="font-weight: bold">Rancid Coolaid</span> As you know I like the SS scopes a lot. I have been interested in the new SS and I like to deal with <span style="font-weight: bold">Chris</span>.it looks good for the price.

Anybody who's seen both have any comments on how it compares to an IOR 2.5-10X42 FFP? I'll be buying one of them soon, and can't decide.

Ok, just got done testing the scope for a week, I have to say this is going to be a hell of a good scope. At the price SWFA is asking for it, they are going to sell a lot of them. I have all ready spoke with Chris at SWFA and I ordered 2 of them. Scope does great in low light, and the glass is as clear as any $1000.00 scope out there. If you are looking for a good scope and you don't have $1500.00 + to drop, you need to get on the waiting list for this.

Sniper Glass Break School. We were shooting different types of glass. School was great!!

is that going to be actual price upon release? or is it already released? i might have missed that.

Azerious, is that clip of the child and the dog (that needs to be shot) supposed to be funny, or am I just too stupid to get it? What is the deal with that?

Anyone have a length and weight? The only specs I can find relate to FOV and such. Im thinking of putting on a light .270 and did not want to kill the balance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Azerious, is that clip of the child and the dog (that needs to be shot) supposed to be funny, or am I just too stupid to get it? What is the deal with that?</div></div>

cool.gif
pick one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Norcal Phoenix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have a length and weight? The only specs I can find relate to FOV and such. Im thinking of putting on a light .270 and did not want to kill the balance. </div></div>

From a post (I made) on opticstalk.com:

3-9x42
FFP mil dot reticle
0.1-mil adjustments
locking focus
sunshade available (fits great)
ARD available (fits great)
Turrets are tactile (and audible with some spinning)
Glass is good - better than the fixed 10X to my eye

The scope is 13.35 inches (as per my trusty ruler with the Hello Kitty" on it. ) Sunshade with ARD is a hair under 3 inches in length.

The scope weights 21.4 ounces with Butler Creeks on both ends.The sun shade weighs 1.5 ounces and the ARD weighs 0.6 ounces.

It would be a good match for a mid-sized hunter, not great for a 6.5-pound stalker, not best for a 13-pound, 100-yard bench gun.

Man, priced higher than the 4-14x Falcon Menace. Do we have any reason to believe it is worth more money?

I know the fixed power Super Snipers have a great reputation, but those are the fixed powered versions. Obviously I'll need to sit back and see how the reviews read, but at this point I'm struggling to understand the excitement over this scope in light of the price, power range, and the serious competition from Falcon.

What am I missing?

<span style="font-style: italic">(these points are not meant to be critical, I'm genuinely confused)</span>

Good Evening, Variable SS looks good. How does it compare to the new Weaver Tactical if anyone has got a look at the prototypes. (Weaver FFP 3-15x50mm (Tactical Grand Slam-Mil Dot)). SWFA has them listed on the website but I can't find a review on them.

800362 3-15x50 Mil Dot 30mm
• Powerful 5x magnification
• Fully multi-coated lenses w/ extra hard coating on exterior lenses
• First focal plane reticles
• Waterproof / fogproof / shockproof
• Side focus parallax adjustment
• Reset-to-zero turrets (no caps to lose)
• Argon purged tubes to eliminate internal fogging
• One-piece construction
• 30mm tubes
• Mil Dot reticles

http://www.weaveroptics.com/optics/riflescopes/tactical.aspx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, priced higher than the 4-14x Falcon Menace. Do we have any reason to believe it is worth more money?

I know the fixed power Super Snipers have a great reputation, but those are the fixed powered versions. Obviously I'll need to sit back and see how the reviews read, but at this point I'm struggling to understand the excitement over this scope in light of the price, power range, and the serious competition from Falcon.

What am I missing?

<span style="font-style: italic">(these points are not meant to be critical, I'm genuinely confused)</span> </div></div>

I don't own a Falcon but have shot one, and the SS variable has better glass and better turrets - whether that justifies the extra $$ is up to the shooter. To me, for what it is, the variable SS is a great value.

How's the eye relief, compared to the 10x Super Sniper?