• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Super trickler, Auto trickler or charge master

Scorcoran

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
I looking at purchasing a scale and a powder throwing unit. Need some help in figuring which one to purchase.
The cost isn't a issue on either of the ones I listed. Wait time is a factor though
Promethius is definitely out of the question.
Any info on why to choose 1 over the other would be greatly appreciated thank you

Have you read through this?

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/super-trickler.7092252/
https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/autotrickler-v4.7066786/
There is a ton of homework on these two in the above threads, and the history of the Chargemaster is even older.
In my opinion, the Chargemaster isn't the same class (or cost) as the other two, so keep that in mind.
The AT and the ST are both from what are called "cottage industry" manufacturers so you need to expect the lead time issues.

The AT has been out for years and is on the fourth major revision, the ST is just being introduced in the last few weeks.

Sounds like ST is having some issues out of the gate, guys are reporting 2-3min per charge. Will it get there? Sure. But AT has the luxury of proven tenure.

I'll mainly be using h1000 powder the v4 has a 6 month wait the st has at least a 4 month wait that's if they source all the parts I might just leave tge deposit on the v4 and buy a charge master to start using now until the v4 gets delivered and then sell it afterwards

Just a suggestion...

Nothing wrong with your ChargeMaster idea while you wait, but what if you want to know the difference between a cheap 0.1 grain load cell scale versus the speed stats from going below 0.1 grains?

With both the AT and the ST, you can buy just the unit or you can bundle the unit with the A&D FX120i.

If you get the scale first, you can set up a regular powder thrower just shy of your charge weight target and trickle to it. Yes, it takes focus and doing a lot of it can be fatiguing, but you are not forced to wait. At times, the scale is available off the shelf, at others there is a wait for them too.

Back in the days before ChargeMaster or Prometheus this was how we rolled if we wanted better charge precision and accuracy than a cheap scale could provide. YMMV

if you don't mind either the scoops from lee or a mechanical thrower and the 120 scale will hold you over until which ever unit you pick arrives

Reactions: secondofangle2
Sounds like ST is having some issues out of the gate, guys are reporting 2-3min per charge. Will it get there? Sure. But AT has the luxury of proven tenure.
Where do you see this being reported? I've seen nothing of the sort reported by anybody.

Reactions: S3th
Honestly if money is not an object, I'd order both the V4, the ST and the 120 scale right now, do the hand-trickle mentioned until the AT or ST arrives, compare the AT and ST when you have both, and sell whichever one you don't like. A NIB ATV4 sold yesterday on ebay for $750; however, there is no guarantee that you will get your money back 6-12 months from now, a lot can happen over that time.

Reactions: NiteQwill
Where do you see this being reported? I've seen nothing of the sort reported by anybody.

This. I've been following the ST pretty closely and haven't seen anyone mention any issues.

Join the Super Trickler group on Facebook, seems to be powder dependent, at least in cursory review, but guys are having some really long charges, and a few guys reported the machine will “look for the last kernel” for a really long time.

1DBA162A-41A8-4CB3-873D-9E86D50B97A9.jpeg

Reactions: morning would
I'll mainly be using h1000 powder the v4 has a 6 month wait the st has at least a 4 month wait that's if they source all the parts I might just leave tge deposit on the v4 and buy a charge master to start using now until the v4 gets delivered and then sell it afterwards
I have a spot for a v4 that will be coming up soon. I already traded away my original spot but n honestly, I really like my IP set up so I won't be getting a V4

I had a v3
Super is on the way
Just throw StaBall from a Harrels and live a long and happy life 😂

Join the Super Trickler group on Facebook, seems to be powder dependent, at least in cursory review, but guys are having some really long charges, and a few guys reported the machine will “look for the last kernel” for a really long time.

View attachment 7986948
I’d like to see
More about this
Cuz I am in that group and I didn’t see that or anything else like it after august or so in 2022 when the first ones went to beta testers. Elfsters rifles hopefully will show up to comment, as they have had one for several weeks and they’re not retards

I’d like to see
More about this
Cuz I am in that group and I didn’t see that or anything else like it after august or so in 2022 when the first ones went to beta testers. Elfsters rifles hopefully will show up to comment, as they have had one for several weeks and they’re not retards

Just passing on the observation. You can see the posters and the date stamp there, I trust you can find the thread, it’s only a few days old. The OP there mentions they tried Elfer’s settings and still isn’t getting good throws. Elfer, Peter, and Rex have all commented to the variability in the vibration control parameters between machines in the thread. I’m sure a resolution will come, but multiple folks are reporting long dispense times and hunting for the last kernel in the forum - which is one of the reasons for that forum to exist…

My confidence is high that they’ll figure it out, but as with all new product launches, it doesn’t seem to be without bugs. Buyers have to decide for themselves whether they want to be an open source beta testers at their own expense or not.

I’ll also admit, I don’t love that the V4 has no local control option, making it vulnerable to software survival - which was not an issue for the 1-3. In speaking with Rex on this a while ago, it doesn’t seem like ST has intention to offer revisions any time in the next 3-5yrs, so what we see will be what we get for a while, while MacDonald can be expected to issue a V5 before then, which may rectify the lack of local control on the 4. Or both groups could go teets up since they’re small, bespoke boutiques…

I just had a Chargemaster land last week. Looking forward to setting it up and also improving the speed of reloading my accuracy cartridges.

I’d like to see
More about this
i did have an issue, VERY random (like 1 out of 20), mind you BETA FIRMWARE, that would get stuck USING THE ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE mode on the supertrickler, where on the pulse drop setting did take a long time to finish the drop because they had a bug within the pulse setting, but it was simply beta firmware and has been updated since. with that said, i've yet to have any issues with my own settings. they are still working on the firmware, especially that of the AI.. but as for now, i use AI to get my settings close, and then turn AI off to tweak the settings out a little more which greatly increases consistency and speed... but they are still plugging away making the firmware & especially the AI so good that you don't need to use your own settings. as of right now, i don't see myself going back to my AT v3 and using the supertrickler from now on... ive yet to do my final review tho.
i have a TON of videos up tho on my channel using the supertrickler.. most unedited & even 1 live video.. like mentioned. this is a beta supertrickler & firmware https://www.youtube.com/c/ElfstersRiflesandReloading/videos

wow! 900!.... that's amazing! all at 5 seconds too!? id love to see an unedited video of this for just 100rounds plz. that's awesome! :)
Just loaded for a match before this post but I'll be happy to post an unedited video on the next go around.

Key with the IP is to set it at 1.2 gr under target, slider all the way to the right. It's fast. Having owned every version of the AT, this is the fastest powder drop setup I've come across. Awaiting my Supertrickler to ship.

Kinda get an idea.

1000003815.jpg

That V3 w/ IP trickler does look super sweet. I'd definitely buy that setup if it didn't choke on N570 and RL50. Don't intend to start a debate about it, that's just what would hold me back and it seems to be where two tubes of different diameters shines compared to the other approaches. I also would not want to mess around setting the hopper to -1.2 grains each time bc I'm lazy and impatient LOL

That V3 w/ IP trickler does look super sweet. I'd definitely buy that setup if it didn't choke on N570 and RL50. Don't intend to start a debate about it, that's just what would hold me back and it seems to be where two tubes of different diameters shines compared to the other approaches. I also would not want to mess around setting the hopper to -1.2 grains each time bc I'm lazy and impatient LOL
Did you drill the hopper? I did that on my V3 which had the area 419 glass hopper. No more jamming.

I don't use those powders so could you inform me about what you're talking about with the IP? It's been absolutely flawless for me with every powder I've fed it but I really only use 4350 , stabal, and other ball powders like TAC. Not sure how much bigger N570 is than 4350 but there's other disks that I would think would work???

I don't use those powders so could you inform me about what you're talking about with the IP? It's been absolutely flawless for me with every powder I've fed it but I really only use 4350 , stabal, and other ball powders like TAC. Not sure how much bigger N570 is than 4350 but there's other disks that I would think would work???

N570 are Lincoln logs. Typically weigh .08ish per kernel. Jams in some hoppers and tricklers.

N570 are Lincoln logs. Typically weigh .08ish per kernel. Jams in some hoppers and tricklers.
Have you run it in the IP or is it known to jamb up the IP? I know it's big but I would think it would work of with the right disk unless it's too long of a log? Just curious is all.

Have you run it in the IP or is it known to jamb up the IP? I know it's big but I would think it would work of with the right disk unless it's too long of a log? Just curious is all.

I have not. I have run it in V3 and V4. V3 hopper needed to be drilled so it did not jam. Down side is it did not fully close, so I had to buy another hopper to run smaller powders. V4 is stupid simple with shims.

I have not. I have run it in V3 and V4. V3 hopper needed to be drilled so it did not jam. Down side is it did not fully close, so I had to buy another hopper to run smaller powders. V4 is stupid simple with shims.
Roger that. That's sort of why I was curious. I still have a spot in line for a v4 but have been debating actually getting it since I got the IP for foe my V3. There's so much noise with the V4, I'm not sure what the deal is. Some say their v4 works great, and some say it's not so great.

Reactions: John Glidewell
If there is a product with a new version, and people are rushing to buy the old version At a premium over its original cost, in some lines of work that’s called a “clue”. Like detective work ha ha

If you qualify, the RCBS LE/Mil discount on a Matchmaster is pretty bananas...

I've also been following the AT4+IP vs Supertrickler saga, but honestly, the Matchmaster has been great and I'm probably already squared away. No BS whatsoever, just add powder and go.

Would the AT4+IP/ST be a little better/faster? Probably.

But so far with the Matchmaster through ~1000 rounds, whether using Varget or Sta-Ball, I'm getting ~13 seconds per drop while staying within +/- 0.02gr, and so few over-charges that it's almost not worth mentioning, ain't too shabby.

...and you could probably order one today and get it tomorrow lol.

Reactions: RLinNH
With the RCBS LE/Mil discount we're not supposed to disclose the discount price... but let's just say that if you were budgeting for an AT4+IP or Supertrickler, you'd have at least enough leftover for a new barrel and all the powder needed to burn the sucker out...

RCBS Matchmaster, Sta-Ball 41gr

(Ignore the mess lol, has nothing to do with the machine really, just me being clumsy)

Last edited:
Reactions: John Glidewell
She’s noisy!
It's certainly not the quietest thing, but the video makes it seem louder than it is lol.

I know the Matchmaster isn't the Alpha Dog as far as these things go... but for a lot of guys, even at full street price, it probably will do everything they need it to do while being bone-head simple. No shims needed, no aftermarket gadgets, a very low drama solution to making dropping powder to the kernel far less annoying. If one really needs the speed of the Supertrickler, I guess they could just run 2 of them lol.

@secondofangle2 Paul has the additional disks in , they are currently not marked (numbered) he has graciously send me out the additional ones numbered in sharpie - I expect I'll have them by the weekend - As we seem to be the only two people who use "monster grain" powder, just hang in there and I'll let you know how it works , at least with RL50 - meanwhile my ST need to hurry its ass up !

grain size 4350 is about 0.02 grains a kernel , RL50 is 0.06 a kernel

With the 3 original supplied discks - RL50 jams up as the kernels are too large - there are additional disks that will accomodate it

Once again, I really dislike changing parts (discs) each time I reload another cartridge so fingers are crossed the Ubertrickler obviates that

Once again, I really dislike changing parts (discs) each time I reload another cartridge so fingers are crossed the Ubertrickler obviates that
I am thinking ill set up the ST see how it runs then keep V3 or V4 just for the delicate girlie powders with or without the IP, Ive got 2 120's anyway ... maybe I only need one ? :cool:

I have the V2 AT System then upgraded to the V3 electronics. I've now added the IP trickier.

Without a doubt, it's the fastest thing I've seen. No over throws once set up.

In the future I'd like to acquire the V3 Hopper and drive system. I've heard that it handles powder a little better than the lee.