• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Superlative Arms adjustable gas block tuning on a 16" 6.5 Creedmoor

giannid

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2017
Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Just finishing up a build with a Faxon barrel and would like to get the gas block adjusted somewhat before I start load development so I don't damage my brass. From what I've been reading, it'll probably be way over gassed. Has anyone been able to adjust the gas block on these with the bleed off feature on the gas block or did you have to use the gas limiting settings? Just trying to see what others have found works best. Wondering if I should be looking at heavier buffer if I can't get the bleed off to control enough gas. I'll be using a standard aero carbine tube for large frames, and standard BCG. May want to run the rifle with a can in the future also.

I’ve never used the bleed feature on mine, I just restrict the gas. Especially if you’re shooting suppressed I think you’ll want to use the restricted mode, as the bleed mode is going to add noise with port pop coming from the gas block. Turn the screw adjuster all the way in, and using cheap ammo to get your gas setting close open the gas port 1/2 turn at a time (2 clicks) til it runs, then go to 1/4 turn (1 click). Once the gun cycles ok, put in the ammo you’re going to shoot one round at a time in a magazine, tune the gas until the bolt locks back on the empty mag after firing, and then open the gas one more click. You’ll probably end up about 3-4 full turns open on the adjuster. If you use a can you’ll just use maybe 1/2 turn less gas.

I’d leave the buffer weight alone since you have the superlative block. Most AR recoil comes from the weight of the operating system moving, so don’t add to it. Besides I believe that a stiffer spring does more for tuning than more weight does; the spring produces a preload on the bcg that has to be overcome before unlocking whereas increases mass doesn’t have an effect until the buffer has started to move. More mass does help, but more so in slowing down the system rather than adding lock time - a stiffer spring is better for that.