• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block

danr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 26, 2006
s. texas
Just read that SA recommends using a standard carbine buffer/spring for their agb. Anyone have input using it on a rifle length buffer/spring setup? Thanks

I use them on every AR build, carbine-rifle, h2 buffer to jp scs, and plenty of other combos. Not sure why it would matter. A SA AGB opened 4.5 revolutions is no different than any other non-adjustable block.

Reactions: danr
Makes sense. Just wondering why they mention carbine setup only.
Same reason manufacturers specify no handloads through their guns or super detailed break in procedures for their barrels. They just don't want you to introduce any variables they haven't extensively tested then call them and ask questions they can't answer in the event it doesn't work perfect right out of the gate.

The GB, either adjustable of fixed, doesn't know what kind of spring or gas system that you have; it only sees the gas it gets & passes or doesn't according to where it's set.

That amount of gas is either right or not, adjust accordingly, within the range of the AGB & rock on,

MM

Just read that SA recommends using a standard carbine buffer/spring for their agb. Anyone have input using it on a rifle length buffer/spring setup? Thanks

Did you read this on their site or information by someone not associated with Superlative Arms?

I ask because I've read through their site and could not find any mention of using a carbine buffer/spring. I did see reference to the need to run heavier buffer and/or spring if your system is over gassed.

Did you read this on their site or information by someone not associated with Superlative Arms?

I ask because I've read through their site and could not find any mention of using a carbine buffer/spring. I did see reference to the need to run heavier buffer and/or spring if your system is over gassed.
image.jpg

It’s right there in the packaging

Reactions: 338dude
Not new to these, I have one of their piston kits on my 556 and run it on the bleed off “mode”. Just happens that rifle has a Magpul UBR stock that uses a carbine buffer and if I read that back then it didn’t concern me cause that’s what I had. It’s that last night I installed 2 SA AGBs, a .875 for my ARC and a .750 for my Grendel, both with rifle lengths buffers. As I was reading the instructions I read about them recommending a carbine set up and thought uh oh, am I gonna run into issues. I didn’t think I would so I posted for the knowledge here. My 556 suppressed is sweet with the bleed off and as I was breaking in the ARC last weekend with the suppressor (non-adjustable gb), the brass was ejecting at 12:30-1:00. Took that off real quick. 3:00-3:30 without the suppressor. And the neat thing about it is you don’t lose any velocity bleeding gasses off compared to a standard gb. I appreciate the responses 👍

With an AGB, you typically don't need more reciprocating mass in order to have correct timing. Carbine buffer is the lowest standard component available before going into non-standard specialty products.

You can use a rifle length buffer setup with the Superlative AGB as long as your gas port and ammo combination provides proper pressure to allow it to function.

And the neat thing about it is you don’t lose any velocity bleeding gasses off compared to a standard gb. I appreciate the responses 👍
Chrono your load. Then shut off your AGB, or spin your non adjustable block around to block the port and chrono again. You'll find that any marketing material about velocity loss from various gas systems is just that, marketing.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Chrono your load. Then shut off your AGB, or spin your non adjustable block around to block the port and chrono again. You'll find that any marketing material about velocity loss from various gas systems is just that, marketing.
But I’m never gonna run the rifle with the gas shut off. My 556 before I switched to the SA piston kit would chrono 75 bthps @ 2775. After installing the agb in bleed off my ammo chrono’d 2770.

Works great for carbine 308 and 556, as well as 11.5” LMT PDW stock kit. Great choice

But I’m never gonna run the rifle with the gas shut off. My 556 before I switched to the SA piston kit would chrono 75 bthps @ 2775. After installing the agb in bleed off my ammo chrono’d 2770.
That's not the point I was making. 5fps? You can run strings through the chrono all day and watch your average swing way more than that just based on changing temps. 5fps is a statistical non event.

That's not the point I was making. 5fps? You can run strings through the chrono all day and watch your average swing way more than that just based on changing temps. 5fps is a statistical non event.
Your mileage may vary, right? Works for me.

View attachment 8054059
It’s right there in the packaging
It's probably to get the rifle back to a basic baseline. They should have added "or standard rifle buffer and spring". By the time some get to installing an AGB, they have tried other methods to tune, such as heavy buffers and/or different springs. Those can compound dialing in an AGB if left installed, but can be added later, then re-tune the gas. This would eliminate multiple variables.

I’ve run several of these. The reason that they recommend the carbine buffer and spring is that you can then adjust it so that you get the least amount of gas to cycle your AR. Less gas means less recoil. If you want even less gas/recoil, try the Springco Yellow Spring (reduced recoil spring). That will make your AR feel like a .22

I've used a number of AGB's with SLR being my favorite, but the simple ones like Odin's work too.
My objective with them is, no matter the gas system, to use the lightest BCG, buffer weight & spring combo that give me what I want.

The 1st decision is always BCG style & weight, then buffer weight, then spring. I never really go into the Ti superlight BCG's or the plastic buffer range & usually my buffer preference is a carbine buffer as it's the lightest "standard" buffer & I usually use a Springco spring since I have a relative reference point on spring weight due to their color system.

I usually end up with a Sprinco White (Standard) or Yellow (Reduced) spring & I treat JP's polished & ground spring as equivalent & interchangeable to the Sprinco White.

And then adjust AGB as needed..............usually with full power NATO equivalent or very close, ammo. Most of my guns are mid, intermediate or rifle gas.

More than half my guns have AGB;s; on the ones that don't, I usually run full weight BCG's, usually an H1 or H2 buffer & usually a Sprinco Enhanced Spring & they are usually fine.

Rifle gas without an AGB is a bit finer...............depending on the exact barrel & gas port. With an AGB on some guns, with a carbine buffer & lighter BCG (-2-3 oz) & a standard or reduced spring, it will run almost wide open on gas setting, some other may require some gas reduction, others a little more.

W/o an AGB on rifle gas & a full weight BCG, I don't recall ever needing more that a standard spring & an H1, but usually a slightly less weight buffer, maybe or maybe not down to the carbine weight buffer.

JME, YMMV

MM

Last edited:
Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I was having hot loads that were out of proportion to Varget used (40 gr) for 185 Juggs. I found in my Seekins w/ Proof CF 18” .308. I have read a lot of others saying that bleed off didn’t work well with 16-18” and rifle gas. I’ve went to 1.75-2 full turns open from the completely closed position worked much better and actually reduced plunger extractor marks considerably. Ejection position went from 1 o’clock to 3-3:30 position.

Fwiw, Tubbs flat spring, rifle buffer tube and 5.6 oz KAK “AR10” buffer, which is actually shorter than “AR15” buffers.

I use the piston kit.

The carbine recommendation gives them a standard to help the initial tune and trouble shoot should the user have issues.

That has been a consistent group size with factory 77smk out of my 12.5 core with the piston

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221016-131829_Range Buddy.jpg
    Screenshot_20221016-131829_Range Buddy.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: Gtscotty