• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Superlative new Z6 Swarovski 5-30x50P i

André

Private
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2008
Belgium
Swarovski lent me its top of the line Z6 5-30x50 P to test. I mounted it on my .308 Win AICS Rem 700 and shot 4x5 shot groups from the bipod at 100 m and all were < 1,5 cm (.59 MOA). I intend to do better next time as I will shoot from my (more stable) benchrest tripod. Compared to cheaper scopes whose image gets dark above 20x power, at 30x, the Swaro gives the impression of having an extra spot above the target ! Reticle is illuminated (adjustable day/night positions) and parallax is controlled from an extra turret on the left.
AICSSwaro5-30x50PFULLSIZE.jpg

My only reproach against the Swaro Z6 5-30x50 P (illuminated reticle) is the retail price of 2.760 € (3.920 USD)...

Re: Superlative new Z6 Swarovski 5-30x50P i

Nice to see it Live!!
Gona be my next Scope for my 222R
With ballistic tower...
Was it with retical 4A-i, what do you think with 30x was the retical OK??
Not to big or small?
Its pretty lonng but still very light compare to others like zeiss 6-24x56..

/M

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Adjustable turrets? If not I see it as useless.

Eddie </div></div>

Eddie,

On Swaro's over 15 power you can get sort of a adjustable turret that's called the BT. Not quite sure how it all works, as my German is poor, and Swaro's english translations are mystifying to me. But they do have a ballistic program that allows to you to adjust the settings on the turret.

Typical Teutonic engineering, ask for simple adjustable turret, and they design one that requires computer downloads, and a PHD in astrophysics to operate.

In addition Swaro offers a BR reticle, which is a sort of a mildot reticle, with bars and dots. The dots subtend @ 1/4 mil, 1 mil, 2 mils, 3 mils, and 4 mils. The bars subtend @ 1/2 mil, 1 1/2 mils, 2 1/2 mils, 3 1/2 mils, and 4 1/2 mils. It's certainly different.

Swaro's offer great great glass, but as a tactical aiming devices targeted for americans educated in govmint (sic) schools, I think not.

But YMMV,

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is with the tumor on the ocular end? </div></div>

Thats the housing for the illuminated reticule..I have a few different scopes and I have to say that the Swaro Z6 range has absolutely the best illuminate reticule system I've seen..it really is excellent if a little funny looking...I haven't worked out if you can fit BC covers to them yet though....

Come on with your commentary guys, this is the kind of reactions I intended to provoke and, trust me, your remarks will be relayed to Swarovski. I can add some info right now, though :

-turrets : this scope is in hunting mode but I see no problems for adding target turrets, as they do exist already. Proof is my personal 6-24x50 AO, which was factory-fitted with them (see pic) :
R93dtail.jpg

BTW, ballistic turrets are indeed available as an accessory.

-illuminated reticle : as Pete already said, Swaro have the best available. They offer both day/night positions, whose intensity is electronically controlled (10 power levels each). Power shuts off automatically after 3 h (day) or 5 h night).

The biggest let down with it is only 43 moa of elevation. The standard seems to be to get a 308 out to or past 1k yard, which requires about 40+ moa of up, however even with a 20moa base you will still loose some elevation getting the scope zeroed at 100 yards.

If the scope had an additional 20 or 30 moa internal elevation so you are not cranking all the way up and down on the erector cell and would keep around center of the adjustment range for most mid-range type shooting then the scope could be something. One way to do it is to go with a 34mm tube. It would also need a good mildot type reticle - like a S&B P4 Fine / Klein.

My guess is that would be too tactical for Swarovski who liike to make hunting type scopes. The last thing along with target turrets would be a FFP option.

If it could be configured as 34mm tue (not current 30mm tube) to get another 30mmoa of elevation, with target turrets, with FFP Klein type reticle then the clever illumination,6x zoom ratio and ED glass could make it an interesting compared to the S&B PMII 5-25x56 or Hendsoldt 6-24x56 or NXS 8.5-32x56. At the moment it seems to fall short of these optics - just based on the specs.

Andre,

If Swarovski is really looking for feedback, how about them boxing up a 1/2 dozen of their puppies and getting them in the hands of some shooters here on the Hide for some wring out.

In all honesty, in pursing the Swarovski Website for the Z6 scopes I saw nothing that indicated that the company was trying to make an entry in the tactical scope market. Hunting scopes yes, tactical no.

I could find no data about the target turret you show on your scope at all. Even on the BT turret that was offered I could find no clear data on how it works. Swaro offers no pure standard MIL based reticle. The BR is a MIL based reticle with non standard graduations.

I could not even find even one reference that tells me the Z6 is FFP or SFP.

Again Swarovski scopes have great glass, and nice features, for hunting. I have no clue as to whether the company has any interest in competing with S&B's PM line and Hensholdt.

I hope the folks at the Company are interested in marketing a tactical style scope. It's never a bad thing to have more choices.

Bob

Andre' could you show us a photo of the reticle?

Bob, you're absolutely right. As per today, Swarovski has no intention of entering the tactical market (NB : years ago, they pulled out...) and presents the Z6 line as long range hunting scopes. I'll confess I'm no tactical shooter neither, but an accuracy nut, hunter and former UPSC champion. Fact is, in terms of optical sighting quality, our mutual interests often meet at crossroads
cool.gif

This being clarified, here are some answers to some of your questions. This is a scan from a swaro catalog.
Z6rticules.jpg

Reticles available for the Z6i 5-30P I'm testing are : 4A-I, BR-I, 4A-300-I (my scope has the latter). Pls, also note the picture of the ballistic turret and lateral parallax adjustment.
The reticle is located in the SFP, and thus of the non-magnifying type.
Target turrets are not offered as an option right now but, as explained in my post above, they do exist for similar scopes and, if such a decision were ever taken, could be fitted instantly.
Personally, I'm not involved in the decision process. I report my findings -good/bad- and may occasionally, as it presently might be the case, draw the concerned parties attention on some points of mutual interest.

Swarovski dropped the ball with the Z6 lineup in a couple ways, and this is even for just a hunting scope.

First the ballistic reticules are not first focal plane. It's actually more important IMO for a hunting scope than a target scope. Simply because with different hunting situations most hunters have their scope on a lower power than max (which is the only power most second focal plane scopes with ballistic reticules are accurate). In hunting situations you need to be able to quickly count on the ballistic marks being accurate at every power.

Second the whole multiple zero thing swarovski has is silly. I can see the appeal for new hunters and the marketing, however it would be much better to use a single turn turret that has a lot of elevation adjustment over it's range. Enough to get a faster caliber to 800 yards.

Third, the total lack of adjustment, they are using a 30mm tube the should easily be able to get 60-80 MOA of adjustment.

Don't feel too bad though, Zeiss has done the same thing, not enough adjustment, no quick adjustment, not first focal.

Even S&B dropped the ball on their Precision Hunter scopes, being single turn it only has 16 MOA of adjustment, not enough to get most calibers to 500 yards with some room for zero, and no option at all to put it on a +MOA mount and have any room left.

The 3-18x50 has 60moa elevation and .5cm(5mm) clicks

The 2.5-15x44 has 60moa elevation and 1cm(10mm) clicks

The ballistic turret has its advantages with quick references at different ranges. It's just not made for "tactical" shooting.

I have tried out the Z6i on moving targets and field targets. It's much faster on target than any tactical scope with a "cluttered" reticle. It's like shooting with a huge Aimpoint.

Swarovski: http://www.swarovskioptik.at/de/produkte/27

You can only get the ballistic turret in there lousy plex reticle or illuminated. I wanted a 4 or 4a non illuminated and no go. The USA rep was rather rude when I called to ask if the turrets could be fitted. Offer OPTIONS!!!! Seems to be the old idea that the manufacturer knows best and you are stupid for wanting anything else. See it often in the European scopes and business model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baypoint</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can only get the ballistic turret in there lousy plex reticle or illuminated. I wanted a 4 or 4a non illuminated and no go. The USA rep was rather rude when I called to ask if the turrets could be fitted. Offer OPTIONS!!!! Seems to be the old idea that the manufacturer knows best and you are stupid for wanting anything else. See it often in the European scopes and business model. </div></div>

You can get the Z6 2,5-15x44 with ballistic turret and 4A in Europe. http://www.swarovskioptik.at/de/produkte/27

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can get the Z6 2,5-15x44 with ballistic turret and 4A in Europe. http://www.swarovskioptik.at/de/produkte/27

</div></div>

That's correct, TorF is right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TorF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
baypoint said:
You can only get the ballistic turret in there lousy plex reticle or illuminated. I wanted a 4 or 4a non illuminated and no go. The USA rep was rather rude when I called to ask if the turrets could be fitted. Offer OPTIONS!!!! Seems to be the old idea that the manufacturer knows best and you are stupid for wanting anything else. See it often in the European scopes and business model. </div></div>

I was looking at the 3-18x50. Great news for Europeans but helps little in the USA. I stand by my statement of Crappy buisness model for Swarovski when it comes to the American market. How hard is it to offer this turret with all of the reticles for a cost. Leupold does. Swarovski wants to sell me a $2300 scope just the way they want it. It should be I can have a $2300 scope just the way I want it. I'm not asking for an engineering change just a turret!