• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

SuperMatch M21 w/range report

mceod

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
29 Palms, CA
iPhone pictures are all I have for now. My humble contribution to a somewhat long range hole punch.

IMG_0139.jpg

Re: SuperMatch M21

It shoots like a dream. Tomorrow will be my first day out with the optic. I had it out three weeks ago and was hitting 11" square plates dead center at 890 yards and iron sites. I'm really excited to see what I can do with some glass.

If it's not glassbedded, it will help.

Load::

Rem brass, Flash Holes reamed
175SMK OAL 2.815"
Fed 210M Gold Medal Primer
42.2gr IMR-4064.

Greg

Those run at or just over 1 moa with hand loads and a consistant driver.
Certainly will show you all your bad habits in a hurry
smile.gif

Just got in from the range. Another pretty good day with several lessons learned. But first to answer some questions. 1) I am running some 168gr Open Tip Match factory loads from American Eagle (Federal). They seem to be doing well enough for my shooting abilities to this point. 2) The M21 is bedded from SAI. However, I can see myself sending the rifle back sometime this year to have SAI check/redo the bedding as I am sure it has not been touched since the rifle left the factory in '01. Any input on this?

As far as the day at the range. I started off zeroing the rifle/optic at 100 yards to confirm and adjust off of the bore site I did last week. It took me 5 rounds to get where I was comfortable shooting for a group. First group was just a hair over .75 inches at 100 yards (about 3/4 MOA right?). After that (and this is where my first mistake of the day was made), we jump out to 1k yards on a 24"x24" steel plate. With a 100 yard zero I did not have enough adjustment in my optic to get all the way out to 1k. I ended up using the Mil Dots in the reticle for my hold over. I was able to get on steel pretty consistently I think for not having a cross hair on the target.

All in all, I had a pretty good day at the range. Much better than being at work all day.