• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing suppresing a 24" long barreled rifle

civilian75

Private
Minuteman
If you get bored by the long story, jump to "the real question is". Sorry if this has already been discussed, just could not find where.

I just joined the SH forum. I am new to LR shooting. I recently acquired a Tikka t3 308 varmint to get me started. I also thought it'd be nice to invest in a nice YHM Phantom 308 can.

My FFL friend recommended I do NOT purchase the quick disconnect type 'cause it is quieter than the QD model. I did not know what kind of problem I was getting into. In my mind, attaching and detaching a can was not a big deal. I have a 22lr can I swap from my Mosquito to My 10/22 w/o problems. But local experts insist I should have the can attached permanently to reduce risk of baffle strikes. So I never thought this would be such a big issue.

The smithy who threaded the t3 to 5/8x24 for a break recommended I cut it down to 20”. The t3 has a 24" barrel, and with a 8.5" can, well that is a unwieldy long beast. I do not want to cut down the barrel to 20" (I read the "how short" thread) and I do not want to permanently attach it. I am not into competitions but I’d like to eventually get into 800-1000 yd shooting. Plus, I want to be able to use this can with other firearms.

The real QUESTION is:
What you guys do to manage frequent attaching/detaching w/o risking it coming lose and hitting the baffles?

My guess I am actually looking at having two rifles, one long unsuppressed and one short & suppressed, but I have already poured to much $$ into this.

If I have to, I will return the non QD and have it replaced with QD type, although that would problably add 6mo to an already long wait and won't be as quiet.

Re: suppresing a 24" long barreled rifle

I'm curious if there's any empirical data that suggests a non QD is any more quiet than a QD.

I couldn't really say myself.

THere's an awful lot of people shooting QD suppressors without problems. Baffle strikes are inherently dangerous. Honestly if QD suppressors where such a bad idea I think it would be a more apparent problem.

I don't understand though. If you already have the non-QD why not just keep that?

I personally use a Gemtech Bi-Lock system and have the QD on pretty much all my rifles. It makes it easy to take on and off. I am sure everyone has an opinion on the QD versus thread. Not sure about the quietness of one over the other. I only have one system so I couldn't say. I do like the bi-lock.

I also have numerous rifles with 24” barrels and use it suppressed. It is not that long but then again, I don’t keep the suppressor on it until I am getting ready to use it and then I take it off again.

It is really up to you and the funds that you have available but if you are new I would keep the 24” barrel and put a QD on it and shoot it. If later you want to make changes then have at it.

Enjoy the suppressor they are fun to shot and really dampen recoil too.

Despite all the care I took to make my post make sense I failed miserably. My apologies.

Although it may not have an effect on any of your responses, I will rectify what I said:

1. I originally intended to but the QD but my FFL friend recommended I don't because the threaded was quieter. He said "noticeably quieter".

2. Both my FFL friend and my smithy recommend I permanently attach the threaded can. They claim they come loose upon use and risk a baffle strike.

3. Since a 24" barrel plus a 8.5" can are very long to be permanently attached, they recommend I cut the barrel. I cry heresy!

4. I do not yet have the can. It should be delivered to my FFL any time now, waiting for the mfg 2 FFL holy paper to clear. Then, it will be 3-5 month for my Form 4. I am hoping I can still change the order and get a QD version. Just not convinced I should.

I learned a trick with my 22lr can: plumbing Teflon tape.

What is your trick?

I can't answer all of your questions because I have not had experience beyond the QD suppressors. But, if I use that logic I could say that my QD could come loose too. It has never come loose while firing and it is in the exact position when I had it put on. But, if it did ever come loose I would notice it quickly because there are keys/protrusions on it and I know what direction they are in, 12 and 6.

I would NEVER permanently attach my suppressor to my rifle unless it was an integrated suppressor and I have no other choice. And, I would only cut the barrel if I had others of 24-26” length and I was using the 20” as an urban rifle.

What I would do is call the suppressor company that you are buying it from and ask them. They are professionals and have all the experience that you are looking to get answered. I have called Gemtech numerous times asking questions and they are always helpful to me as I am sure most of the companies that want to sell items.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tikka Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Despite all the care I took to make my post make sense I failed miserably. My apologies.

Although it may not have an effect on any of your responses, I will rectify what I said:

1. I originally intended to but the QD but my FFL friend recommended I don't because the threaded was quieter. He said "noticeably quieter".

2. Both my FFL friend and my smithy recommend I permanently attach the threaded can. They claim they come loose upon use and risk a baffle strike.

3. Since a 24" barrel plus a 8.5" can are very long to be permanently attached, they recommend I cut the barrel. I cry heresy!

4. I do not yet have the can. It should be delivered to my FFL any time now, waiting for the mfg 2 FFL holy paper to clear. Then, it will be 3-5 month for my Form 4. I am hoping I can still change the order and get a QD version. Just not convinced I should.

What is your trick?
</div></div>

1) I have heard that threaded cans are quieter than QD. A good QD can should work fine for you though.

2) DON"T PERMANENTLY ATTACH YOUR CAN. I have shot suppressed for a long time with mostly just threaded (not QD) cans. You won't shoot a can loose on a bolt action. I just makes sure mine is tight every now and then.

3) You don't need to cut the barrel down, but it would make it handier. I have a 20" barrel with a can and folding stock that is long enough.

If I were in your shoes, I would just get a QD can. A threaded can will work fine, and you don't need to perma-attach it.

-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tikka Man</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">Have him prove this to you. He won't be able to.
</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">This is the dumbest thing for you to do. You need to find a new FFL and a new smith. You need to do this today. How are you going to clean your rifle? What are you going to do about the moisture buildup on the crown? Did you know moisture occurs as a byproduct of combustion. With a suppressor on the end of the barrel these gasses are trapped and moisture forms. </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">
I wouldn't run anything this long. That's just me. I don't shoot that far either living in the south east. I prefer a 300WM if I'm going for that range. Something to keep in mind, on your 24inch barrel with the suppressor, any suppressor is going to be quiet. The muzzle blast is almost 3 feet away from your face. Bolt guns don't have any action noises like AR10's.</span>

What is your trick?

<span style="font-weight: bold">Have a competent smith like American Precision Arms thread your barrel to your can. The threads will mate up perfectly.</span>
</div></div>

tikka man.........please complete your profile

find a good competent gunsmith and get to know him

savvy what shows up in the winners circle at UKD matches

the only reason i detach my can is for transport

if you got a plumb thread job......then life is good.

Why are you so opposed to cutting down your barrel? Lots of people have shown great success with 20" .308's, I fail to see what your disdain is for the shorter bbl length.

-matt