• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressed 10/22 reliability tip

PLeighton

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2007
NE North Carolina
www.l8ntactical.com
Anyone who shoots a Ruger 10/22 is aware of how dirty the action gets.
Couple this with the use of a sound suppressor on an SBR and you end up with a weapon who's action quickly becomes sticky after just a couple hundred rounds.
In my case, I could shoot no more than six 30 round magazines before the rifle became completely unreliable.
As a comparison, my 10/22 marksmanship trainer will run for about 1,200 rounds before any problems start to creep up.
The problem isn't so much keeping everything lubricated as it is keeping all the wax & carbon off the top of the receiver.

Anyhow, these fouling issues have been haunting me with that rifle for the last few months and started me on a search for a solution.
First thing that I tried was to polish all of the internals and then run only graphite powder for lubrication.
This did help, but did not even come close to an adequate solution.
I also tried the Miltec-1 heat treat and then wipe dry method.
Similar results to the graphite.

So, I was placing an order to Midway USA last week and thought that I would look at their "Dry Lube" section just to see what offerings they had.
I decided to pick up two products to try.
The "Hornady One Shot Gun Cleaner-Degreaser and Dry Lubricant"
270323.jpg

and the "Sentry Solutions BP-2000 Dry Lubricant"
598573.jpg

Well, I had a friend that was transferring to a new unit and he stopped by this weekend for a quick goodbye and wanted to shoot my "Krinker".
(The "Krinker" being the suppressed SBR in question.)
The gun being an SBR Krinker Plinker kit takes quite a bit longer to break down to do a propper cleaning than a standard Ruger 10/22.
Since we were short on time to begin with and the rifle was already so dirty that it was at the failure point,
I decided that I would try to hit the action with a quick spray of the "Hornady One Shot Degreaser / Dry Lube".
So I locked the bolt to the rear, sprayed the receiver, breach, bolt face, the bottom of the bolt, and then wiped everything dry.
We then went outside and proceeded to empty twelve 30 round magazines without incident.

Later on in the weekend, I checked back in on the rifle to do a proper cleaning.
I found that the action was as smooth and as free as it was when I last cleaned it.
This was truly impressive to me since I've had so much difficulty with this in the past.
I'm now a big fan of this Hornady stuff.

The powder stuff that I bought I haven't tried in the action since the Hornady product worked so well.
I have used it to replace the graphite that I normally use in my high capacity plastic 10/22 magazines and 5.56mm BETA mag.
At this time, it does appear that it is superior to the graphite in this application.

I hope this information is of use to anyone that has had similar issues.

Re: Suppressed 10/22 reliability tip

Very interesting feedback regarding the Hornady product. I will give it a try.

Good write-up & Suppressed they do get dirty quick.
My biggest cause for Mal. problems in the years I been shooting exclusively 10/22 suppressed especially in the Feeding department has been that the Magazines get filled with Post-fire Ammo .22 crud . - .22 being the dirtiest ammo being made and the fact that now you Suppress it and the blow-back & gravity fill the Magazines with that Post-Fire, crud / grit and foul out the Magazines in just a short time.
I find The best fix for bad feeding on a Suppressed 10/22 is keeping a 'Clean Mag.' & keep the Mag. Rotary Spring (wind-up) 'Firm'. with little dry lube.
http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

Thanks for the tip. Will be ordering some soon.

If I told you to just run it dry most people would be amazed at how long it would run.

If I told you to strip everything off with a degreaser and apply moly, like that BP powder it will run for a jaw dropping amount of rounds.

When it finally stops, hit it with a toothbrush to clear the crud, and re apply.

Tried it dry and had little success.

The fouling build up and the ability to operate through this fouling seems to be the key when running a suppressed 10/22.
With the Hornady Dry Lube it seemed to inhibit adhesion at the top of the receiver.

The ammunition used is also a critical factor.
The CCI Stingers are very clean and with their nickel plated cases function for two to three times as long as a standard cartridge.
(But running hyper velocity ammo in a suppressed platform defeats the purpose.)
The lubricant that is used on the projectile is IMO the biggest area where fouling levels vary.
Federal Auto Match and the plated Federal 550 bulk packs foul very badly for me.
Whereas the Remington Cyclones fouling is a lot less and on a normal day, 9 out of 10 will remain subsonic.
The problem I have with the Remington Cyclones is that their failure to fire rate is absolutely terrible.

I will definitely try out the Moly BP Powder to see if I get any different results though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dr. Phil</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone who shoots a Ruger 10/22 is aware of how dirty the action gets.
Couple this with the use of a sound suppressor on an SBR and you end up with a weapon who's action quickly becomes sticky after just a couple hundred rounds.
In my case, I could shoot no more than six 30 round magazines before the rifle became completely unreliable.</div></div>

Thanks for the review! Even though I can reliably fire more than six (6) 25-rd Butler Creek magazines in my integrally suppressed Ruger 10/22 with its Norrell trigger pack, I will still give this a shot to see whether it makes a difference in the long run...

UPDATE:

As a Father's Day present to myself, I ordered four Tactical Innovations TI25 magazines.
TI_Comp_25rd.png

Since I needed to order another $5 worth of product to get free shipping,
I decided to pickup one of their Stainless Steel Recoil Spring Guide Rod with "C" clip along with their Extra Power Competition Spring.

Since I needed to completely strip the action out of the Krinker Plinker kit to adjust the TI25 mags to the receiver,
this seemed like a perfect time to do a thorough cleaning and test out my dry lube products some more.

I had used the one shot lube once already, so I decided it was time to test out the moly powder.
(I did use the One Shot lube to prep the action spring rod, spring, and cocking handle though.)
As per the instructions on the powder, after everything was completely clean,
I put a small clump of the moly powder on a patch and rubbed it on the inside of the receiver & bolt.

I loaded up eight 30 round eagle mags and the 4 new TI25 mags and went into the back yard to do some testing.
(While loading the eagle mags, I noticed that they were a bit sticky,
so I added some moly powder through the bottom floor plate of the loaded magazines.)

Results:
- One failure to feed due to a TI25 magazine being out of adjustment.
- One failure to eject "Stove Pipe" due to TI25 magazine being out of adjustment
- One failure to fire due to cheap bulk ammo.
All testing was done shooting suppressed and all rounds were expended in under 15 minutes.
Ammunition used was Federal Bulk Pack "Champion" with the copper washed projectile.
Testing was suspended to allow for the suppressor to cool and to load magazines.

I did not get the opportunity to shoot another round of all 12 magazines again, but I did run two additional magazines later in the day.
I did this to allow all the debris in the action a chance to cool and "setup".
The additional two magazines ran without failure.

I've never had this rifle shoot this reliably.
In addition to that, the ammunition used for testing has always given me the worst results.
Buildup of crud appeared to be about the same.
Slowly working the action did not result in any sticking and no binding could be felt.

My conclusion from this round of testing:
The moly powder worked very well.
I suspect that I would get similar results with the "One Shot Dry Lube" though.
(I'll be sure to test this and post the results as well.)
Where the moly powder really shinned was in the Eagle 30 round plastic magazines though.
Were the moly powder and the graphite differ, is that the moly is sticky and coats what it comes in contact with.
The graphite just sits there and is much more coarse.

I'm very confident that the Tactical Innovations guide rod and spring made a significant difference as well.
There was a major difference over a stock recoil spring and rod.

Bottom line:
If you want a super reliable 10/22, pickup one of the TI guide rod & springs, and use one of the two dry lubes mentioned.
The moly powder would be my choice due to its usefulness on the magazines as well.
Tactical Innovations doesn't need anyone else pushing their mags, but they are impressive.
The TI25 composite magazine would be my only choice of magazine if my life depended on it.
(FWIW, the "Advanced Composite" magazines are more rugged and cheaper than their billet Aluminum TI25 mag.)

I'll update this thread as I'm able to do some more testing.

Got a chance to do some more testing last night.

Final round count to what I would consider failure was ~500.
(Failure point being failure to go fully into battery on its own regularly.)

Once again, the One Shot was able to resuscitate it for another 100+ rounds.
Tried the "tooth brush" trick with a stiff blue otis brush and had no luck.

Next test will be with just the One Shot lube and no moly in the action.
Stay tuned...

Updated to add:

Final refinement of this process is as follows:

- Clean rifle as usual.
- Instead of applying lubricant, spray One Shot "Dry Lube" on the bolt, bearing surfaces of the receiver, and the action spring guide rod.
- Add small amount of moly powder to each high capacity magazine.

Following this regiment, I can run about 500 rounds without any failures.
After that, a quick spray on One Shot "Dry Lube" with the bolt locked to the rear and wipe out any crud that is loosed up.
No need to clean yet, you should be good to go for another 500 rounds.

I hope others who have experienced similar difficulties find this and benefit from it.
It took me quite awhile to find the right products and technique to get these results.
Prior to that, it was more frustrating than fun to play with this setup.

Cheers,

Phil

Good tip. I just placed an order with midway.

Good tip. I just placed an order with midway.