• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressed........17 HMR HELP

UrbanMyth

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2009
Gulf Shores,Al
Hey guys !!

I have a problem with a new build.

I built up a Savage 17 HMR HB by cutting and threading the barrel down to 16.5 inches. Finishing it off by placing a suppressor on the end. Stock furniture. Floating barrel (checked).

The problem I am having is, once I zero the gun in at 50 yards ( I used it for close in stuff) I can walk it out to 75 and a 100 yards and the bullet will rise up one inch at 75 yards then two plus at a 100. I could be wrong but shouldn’t I have a bullet drop?
I’m shooting the Hornady 17gr. V-Max. A round I love shooting And the yoties hate.

Any suggestions of what I’m doing wrong?

17hmr2.jpg

Re: Suppressed........17 HMR HELP

It's called mechanical offset. It is all about the height of your scope above the bore. Somewhere LL was saying they did an 11 foot shot at a comp and people were having to use their 1200 yard dope. The bullet should not reach its zenith (apex) until further out, so the bullet will still be climbing at 100 yards.

Josh

So I should look at replacing my rings? I did go up in ring hieght to clear the can. So I should go back down and live with the can in the bottom of the scope?

The bullet is not rising...no bullet ever does. Ever.

The problem is your zero being at 50 yards combined with the fact that your scope must be above the bore....as all scopes must be placed there. The higher the scope and the flatter shooting the cartride, the more pronounced this effect can be.

To achieve a 50 yard zero, you are forcing the scope to intersect the trajectory very early. In essence, you are forcing the barrel to be pointed very high.

Switch to a 100 yard zero....or more.
How much clearance between the bottom of the scopes objective bell and the barrel? If it's more than 1/4" or so you can reduce this effect by mounting the scope closer to the barrel.

Thanks guys...!

That is what's happening.
I will get a fix on the rings And reset my zero to 100 yards.

Thanks again.
James

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rafael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bullet is not rising...no bullet ever does. Ever.
</div></div>

True. What I meant is that you are reaching the target on the upward portion of the trajectory. That is what was meant by "climbing". Gravity is a constant. Semantics...ah well. Maybe you were directing that at the OP. Just so I am sure I am not going crazy.

Josh

Yeah, toward the OP. There were no replies when I started typing.
laugh.gif

There are many myths in shooting....just heading that one off before it settled.
The OP's name called for it.
laugh.gif

Thanks for all the input 4 sure.

Like I said it's a new build and I was thinking of all sorts of stuff...I thought I might have bent my barrel, threads tapped wrong etc..

James

17hmr2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't have that problem. I use a 50 yard zero, and have a 1/10" drop at 100 yards. </div></div>

Again, it all depends on the height above the bore.

Josh

Thanks for they reply Josh

I'm going to try a different height ring set.
It's a start to try and fix my situation.

Urban,

Not to say you can't try another ring combo or rezero at 100, but just always get good dope. That's it. Know where your rifle shoots at what ranges. Period.

Josh

Cutting the barrel length and modifying it will also change your velocity. Only other thing I can think of anyway.

Thanks Josh,

Will do.
The rifle shot like a tack driver until I started the upgrades.
A few changes and some range time will fix it.