• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressed 300WM

Rancid Coolaid

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Aug 10, 2007
    Houston, TX.
    I've been shooting suppressed for many years, mostly 308 or 223-based rounds.

Today, I shot a 24-inch barrel 300WM with a can for the first time ever and holy hell, does it ever make a difference. Recoil diminished dramatically (it's a 9 pound gun with scope), concussion was dramatically reduced, and noise was very, very well diminished.

On my 308s and 260, the difference is noticeable; on the 300WM, the difference is startling.

I haven't run 300WM and the like suppressed before, but I will from now one!

Rifle is a modified 700 5R, can is thread-on YHM. (Decided on the YHM over the Thunderbeast as the YHM has more volume, and the 300WM - 180-gr SMK at 2900 - generates allot o' gas.

Re: Suppressed 300WM

It's a great combo. My .300WM suppressed sounds no different from a .308 suppressed which is quite impressive.

Can this combination be fired safely without hearing protection of any type? The combo being your rifle/can/ammo.

And yes I realize topography makes a difference, just asking your personal opinion.

Thanks!

I shoot a .338 Lapua Magnum and a 308 suppressed both without hearing protection. But most of the time ear pro is mandatory since a majority of people I shoot with don't have cans.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been shooting suppressed for many years, mostly 308 or 223-based rounds.

Today, I shot a 24-inch barrel 300WM with a can for the first time ever and holy hell, does it ever make a difference. Recoil diminished dramatically (it's a 9 pound gun with scope), concussion was dramatically reduced, and noise was very, very well diminished.

On my 308s and 260, the difference is noticeable; on the 300WM, the difference is startling.

I haven't run 300WM and the like suppressed before, but I will from now one!

Rifle is a modified 700 5R, can is thread-on YHM. (Decided on the YHM over the Thunderbeast as the YHM has more volume, and the 300WM - 180-gr SMK at 2900 - generates allot o' gas. </div></div>

Which YHM? The 7.62 or the 338 model? Because the 7.62 model is not going to be as quiet as you think. We tried that and it still had a pretty distinct sonic crack. A Tigershark or QSM can makes a huge difference.

I was not aware that the YHM 7.62 was mag rated. Is that confirmed? Its heavy enough to drive nails, so I would not be surprised if it was adequately strong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bamawrx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was not aware that the YHM 7.62 was mag rated. Is that confirmed? Its heavy enough to drive nails, </div></div>

I'd like to know as well.

My YHM Phantom is win mag approved. I like my tiger shark a lot better though. Not a fair comparison. Since my tiger shark is 2 inches longer.

I can't wait to get my 300WM finished, I use a gemtech sandstorm on my 308 and it is unbelievable how quiet it is. I wonder how the sandstorm is going to work on the 300WM, can't wait to try it out.

The included book says the 7.62 Phantom is 300WM-rated, the web site said it in the past but no longer does.

I have a thunderbeast (which is 300WM-rated) but figured the increased volume of the Phantom would better handle the WM gas. Zak or someone will probably sign in and tell me that is stupid, and it may well be, but that was my logic for running the Phantom on the 300WM - that, and the Thunderbeast was on the 260.

I would agree that the 300WM is about the same as my 308 suppressed, maybe slightly more, but not much. Also, the 300WM is a 24-inch barrel while the 308 is a 20-inch barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rancid Coolaid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The included book says the 7.62 Phantom is 300WM-rated, the web site said it in the past but no longer does.

I have a thunderbeast (which is 300WM-rated) but figured the increased volume of the Phantom would better handle the WM gas. Zak or someone will probably sign in and tell me that is stupid, and it may well be, but that was my logic for running the Phantom on the 300WM - that, and the Thunderbeast was on the 260.

I would agree that the 300WM is about the same as my 308 suppressed, maybe slightly more, but not much. Also, the 300WM is a 24-inch barrel while the 308 is a 20-inch barrel. </div></div>

Ok, sounds good. I did check web page and it does have no mention of that fact, which made my assume that it is not mag rated. They should put that on there for buyers to consider. My buddy just picked his up today, so I will look in his manual and see what it says.