• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressed .308 Load

srt_1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Steubenville, OH
Not sure if I"m in the correct area or not. First, I'm shooting a Remington 700 with 5R barrel. Can anyone give me some ideas on what powder and bullets to use to get the best loads while shooting suppresed?

Re: Suppressed .308 Load

Ok, I'm new to reloading and I get myself somewhat confused, so I geuess it's possible to confuse you all too. What I'm looking for is the best load to shoot while suppressed. What Bullet weight is best with what powder...

again...huh?...

you can shoot suppressed w/ either super sonic or sub sonic ammo...

when you say the "best" load... do you mean the quietest load, the most accurate, the longest range, the most knockdown power?

what are you wanting?

Yes.. Looking for quietest along with best accuracy. I'd be shooting out to about 700 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BAZ_0157</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes.. Looking for quietest along with best accuracy. I'd be shooting out to about 700 yards. </div></div>

picard-facepalm.jpg

I think that is the first time I have ever used a meme...

Here's the deal. Sub-sonic is the quietest. What subsonic means is that you are going slower than the speed of sound. Generally, about 1,100 feet per second depending on where you are and conditions.

You want to go slower than the speed of sound so you don't have a sonic boom. The problem with shooting at those speeds is that you are lucky to achieve MOA at 100 yards. Beyond 200 yards or so is iffy.

Now shooting supersonic, you load up just like you would a normal load. You might try doing load development with the suppressor attached. I have many loads that work as well with suppressor as without, but I have a few that work better unsuppressed.

And of course, you will need to know how attaching the suppressor will affect your zero and your muzzle velocity.

So there is your choice... quietest or best accuracy at range. You can't have both.