• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressed AR-15 made more tolerable for left hander

Known

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2007
Cascade Mountains
Hi,

Being a left handed shooter I was pretty disappointed with all the gas and grit that was getting blown into my face when shooting my AR-15 suppressed. But when I installed my brass catcher I found out it blocks most of the gas coming from the chamber. It's a good stopgap until I get a left hand upper.

Here's the brass catcher I'm using: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/855937/utg-deluxe-brass-catcher-ar-15-nylon-mesh-black

Good luck...

Its true that once your AR15 recognizes you are left handed, it has trouble rerouting the blow back. You could try wiping the chip clean and reflashing with the latest firmware (LH-0ICURNUTZ) or simply learn to shoot while shouldering the rifle upside down, just be sure to keep the hot brass out of your shorts. Unfortunately, a left handed upper has the same problem, that and that high pitched whine that we so often hear about on CNN. Some wrap clear plastic around the rear of the receiver, this stops the blow back, allows you to look for the green residue, and stops cold the desire to work for the postal system that appears only when shooting lefty.

Or you could buy this

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PRI-Gas-Buster-Charging-Handle-p/pri m84 gb 05-0032.htm

Just know it will not work if you are color blind, speak with a Southern drawl or think that cashews are expensive footwear.

Last edited:
Its true that once your AR15 recognizes you are left handed, it has trouble rerouting the blow back. You could try wiping the chip clean and reflashing with the latest firmware (LH-0ICURNUTZ) or simply learn to shoot while shouldering the rifle upside down, just be sure to keep the hot brass out of your shorts. Unfortunately, a left handed upper has the same problem, that and that high pitched whine that we so often hear about on CNN. Some wrap clear plastic around the rear of the receiver, this stops the blow back, allows you to look for the green residue, and stops cold the desire to work for the postal system that appears only when shooting lefty.

Or you could buy this

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/PRI-Gas-Buster-Charging-Handle-p/pri m84 gb 05-0032.htm

Just know it will not work if you are color blind, speak with a Southern drawl or think that cashews are expensive footwear.

Probably the funniest post I've seen in a while - I'll have to try firing upside down.

Regarding the gas buster charging handle, it solves part of the problem but does nothing for the gas coming out of the chamber.

I can't think or anything that will help a left handed shooter avoid all the blow back. I guess a piston system might help, but I am more of a DI guy, and it seems like an expensive fix.

Even with a piston system, I understand a lot of blowback comes from the chamber. Can anybody out there share their experience?

My son is a south-paw and the Stag left handed upper is the only way to go when shooting suppressed. I have a few on order, and just got the notice from Stag that the stripped uppers are moving in my direction. That said, I do use red permagasket on all my charging handles.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Even with a piston system, I understand a lot of blowback comes from the chamber. Can anybody out there share their experience?

Yes you get blow back even with a piston. You need to put your mechanics'(I am one so easy for me) hat on and think about what is happening. The gun is cycling when the bullet is out of the barrel (as it normally would) but still in the suppressor so all the gas and pressure have not been released yet. Bolt slides back and pulls case from chamber there by allowing gas to escape (in to your face) I have found that if you can slow the gun down just a little it will be much better. I use a heavy buffer from slash (heavybuffers.com) and it helps a lot. Most guns are over gassed anyway so I have found that it helps even when the suppressor is removed. YMMV.

The latest BCM Gunfighter CH also have some "gas busting" abilities. That said, I'm guessing most of the gas is coming out of the ejection port for you... Sounds like you came up with a good fix that also saves you from chasing brass.

Reactions: Daymar
The latest BCM Gunfighter CH also have some "gas busting" abilities. That said, I'm guessing most of the gas is coming out of the ejection port for you... Sounds like you came up with a good fix that also saves you from chasing brass.

Yes - from the ejection port. I'm going to play around with a heavier buffer and see what happens.

Have two AR's, one is a S&W 300 Whisper DI that i use a gemtech HVT on. The blowback is definately there, sometimes i feel like wearing a face mask. The other AR is a Sigg 516 piston 5.56 that i use a gemtech trec on. the blowback on the Sigg is minimal, don't really notice it. Nice thing about the Sigg it has a 4 position gas adjustment on it, off. high, medium, and low. Shoot it in the low plsition with the suppressor on. It works great. A piston system seems to be a good way to go suppressed.