• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressed AR Accessories?

sawgunner2001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
While I'm waiting for the ATF to approve my suppressor purchase (SWR Specwar 762), what should I plan on adding/modifying to my AR's? Example, should I go ahead and get GasBuster charging handles, adjustable gas blocks, heavy buffers/springs?

The rifles to suppress are a Fulton Armory 18.5" barrel in .308 (I haven't shot it much yet, but it *seems* WAY overgassed), a PWS Mk110 (10.5" 5.56), and a RRA 20" varmint rifle in .223. The 308 has a standard rifle buffer and spring, I think I'm currently running a standard carbine buffer and spring in the PWS, but I have an H2 in my parts bin. Lastly, the RRA has a standard rifle buffer and spring.

This is my first suppressor purchase and I don't really have ANY suppressor experience. I'm just trying to avoid waiting however long for the ATF and then have to buy a bunch of parts before the rifle(s) operate the way they should. Or would it be best to just wait till I possess the suppressor and figure it out then.

I would highly recommend an adjustable gas block and a Jp silent buffer spring. Both help to quiet it down.

RTV silicone is much cheaper than the Gas Buster CH (about $6 at your local auto parts store) and will keep the gas from blowing back in your face. Google it. I'd just shoot it first, as it may not bother you at all.

I'm running the same barrel on my .308 as you and I'm using a PRI adjustable gas block. It's easy to tune and I haven't had an issue of the adjustment screw backing out because the carbon from firing "locks" it into place. Haven't had ANY issues with overgassing or "gas face" or reliability. Try 1 "solution" at a time rather than buying every accessory possible. You'll likely save money with the first purchase if it's the right one.

I will also say if you have the same barrel as me, the gas block seat is .936" and there aren't many adjustable gas blocks for that size seat...at least I couldn't find many options. The adjustable gas block really does knock down a lot of the nastiness that goes through the action. I've nickel-boron coated my carrier and it doesn't show any dirtier than before I ran suppressed.

Last edited:
I guess Ive been lucky, Ive never had "gas face" on any of my five silenced ARs. You do need to invest in some of this to clean the upper
CRC_05050_14_Oz_Brakleen_Non-Chlorinated_Brake_Parts_Cleaner.jpg

Followed by this to blow it out
AirNozzle.jpg

One of these for cleaning the BCG
Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-U4820.jpg

Silenced shooting is dirty, no way around it. Adjustable gas blocks do cut down on the trash fed into the upper but cleaning my gun every 500 rounds is a good way to check up on everything. I only run a nylon brush down the bore with carbon remover and a couple of patches, not heavy duty copper remover. Works great.

I ended up milling my upper and taping the bolt and turning it into a side charger.

Mine is a blowback 9mm ar so they get a bit dirtier. Really helped out on the gas in face. Also milled out a delrin "plug" to go where the charging handle was.

apupezag.jpg
zy2anune.jpg

Sorry for the low res images lol. Sometimes my phone takes really high Def pics and sometimes not. The handle is aluminum and I bead blasted it for a nice finish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I will also say if you have the same barrel as me, the gas block seat is .936" and there aren't many adjustable gas blocks for that size seat...at least I couldn't find many options. The adjustable gas block really does knock down a lot of the nastiness that goes through the action. I've nickel-boron coated my carrier and it doesn't show any dirtier than before I ran suppressed.

I ordered an adjustable gas block from SLR Rifleworks that came in today. The straight gas tube that needs to go with it should be here tomorrow. It needed the adjustable gas block even un-suppressed, so I'm not disappointed in buying it. It is encouraging to hear though, that this should be solution enough without delving into all sorts of additional gear.

Given that my 20" 556 rifle is currently NOT overgassed, I'll wait till I shoot it suppressed and determine what the solution needs to be (if any) for it.

Thanks for the replies.

I ordered an adjustable gas block from SLR Rifleworks that came in today. The straight gas tube that needs to go with it should be here tomorrow. It needed the adjustable gas block even un-suppressed, so I'm not disappointed in buying it. It is encouraging to hear though, that this should be solution enough without delving into all sorts of additional gear.

Given that my 20" 556 rifle is currently NOT overgassed, I'll wait till I shoot it suppressed and determine what the solution needs to be (if any) for it.

Thanks for the replies.
Have you shot an AR suppressed before? If not, a suppressor adds a lot of backpressure through the gas system and into the action no matter what the caliber. If it's suppressed, it'll almost surely be overgassed. The adjustable gas block solves the problem nicely. You've got the right idea though...wait to see if there's a problem before you try to solve an imagined problem.

I've got an AR-15 chambered in 6.8 SPC with a pinned gas block (standard). I wish the builder hadn't pinned the gas block so that it would be easier to add an adjustable gas block as the rifle is overgassed with supersonic rounds without the suppressor. Adding a suppressor to an already overgassed rifle just throws salt on the wound. I'll eventually replace the standard gas block with an adjustable when I've gotten all of my other firearms related priorities taken care of.