• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressed Handguns

SRPowah

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Black Hills SoDak
What is your favorite host, caliber, which suppressor, and do you actually enjoy it? Is the balance noticed or not an issue to you?

Due to stupidity and other BS, I will likely be buying a couple suppressors in the coming weeks. Picking up a handgun caliber suppressor for a 357 lever gun, and giving serious thought to picking up a host handgun for shits and giggles.

Edit: Don't worry too much about my circumstance, just curious on who does or doesn't enjoy suppressed handguns and why or why not.

Last edited:
I have handguns that I can suppress. A CZ discretion a CZ P09 and a P01.

my hand gun suppressors stay on my PCC.

the idea of shooting a suppressed pistol is awesome. Until you do it lol. Muzzle flip is reduced but they become so large it’s just a table side gun or a bench gun. Not practical IMO.

Reactions: SRPowah
the idea of shooting a suppressed pistol is awesome. Until you do it lol. Muzzle flip is reduced but they become so large it’s just a table side gun or a bench gun. Not practical IMO.

I plan on the suppressor living on the lever action 99% of the time, but it seems like a great excuse to pick up another CZ for range fun with friends. Did you start with the suppressor ready P-01 or modify one? If I do this, leaning towards adding a threaded barrel to the standard P-01 because I hate everything about the suppressor ready model for some reason.

45 acp begs to be supressed. Unless you are running a really light bullet, 45 is always sub.

Obsidian45 is my fav handgun can. Sounds great in both configurations.

Leaning Obsidian9 since the primary targeted application is the 357. I don't really care for the "versatility" unless someone can really convince me .45 is the absolute best route for suppressed handgun shooting, and even then I would likely get a CGS Nautilus for it. I can't complain about an excuse for another 1911.

Last edited:
The only problem with adding a threaded barrel to the P01 is you won’t be able to see over the can through the sights.

not that big of a deal really unless your trying to shoot small targets with the can.

I plan on the suppressor living on the lever action 99% of the time, but it seems like a great excuse to pick up another CZ for range fun with friends. Did you start with the suppressor ready P-01 or modify one? If I do this, leaning towards adding a threaded barrel to the standard P-01 because I hate everything about the suppressor ready model for some reason.

Leaning Obsidian9 since the primary targeted application is the 357. I don't really care for the "versatility" unless someone can really convince me .45 is the absolute best route for suppressed handgun shooting, and even then I would likely get a CGS Nautilus for it. I can't complain about an excuse for another 1911.

Meh the 9 is .01 oz lighter and only .9" shorter... Same od so not a huge difference so I would still go obsidian45 especially if it's going to on a pcc at all. Less back pressure and prolly a tad quieter at your ear

I have an old school Blackside that is fun on all my .45s and is currently sitting on my MPX. I may swap out a Hybrid 46 on it but for now, it does what I like.

Reactions: Texascbr
I run a Silencerco Osprey 45 on my FNX 45... with a RMR on lowest setting and a PVS14 , nothings more fun than whacking steel at night
C826A5AE-026C-4FC9-B3F9-8E46ED319B06.jpeg

It’s fun to shoot with subsonic ammo, but that’s about it. My Obsidian 45 stays on my 8” 300blk for subsonic ammo. A buddy of mine is using one of those open top holsters that get retention from a weapon light to holster his suppressed pistol. It would work for walking around the woods or flat range stuff, but it seems kinda brittle for any serious use.

If I need to be sneakily quiet, I’ll just take the 300blk and have much more performance on target vs a 9mm handgun.

I shoot 9, 45 and 22lr suppressed pistiols.

No earpro neccessary. I had to make a 45 fn holster.

Mass enjoyment is to be expected.

H&K USP, the king-ding-a-ling, undisputed world champion pistol suppressor host. Unmatched in capabilities nor legacy.
20201129_100955.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Charger442
If I need to be sneakily quiet, I’ll just take the 300blk and have much more performance on target vs a 9mm handgun.

Thankfully I have other options when I need results on target. This post was mostly started to get more conversation and feedback on suppressed pistol shooting in general. I like the idea of simply taking some of the bark out of shooting. Shooting subs like you mentioned will occasionally happen for sure.

i have an octane 45 and have it on 9mm thru 45. on both pistols and a 45 carbine. have not tried the 9mm carbine yet. but is quiet on all of them. plus you can get different pistons or adapters for it so you can put on other weapons.

As for pistol suppressors I’d recommend a .45 caliber suppressor if you’re going to have just one. I have a Rugged .45 Obsidian and recommend it. It is a little longer and heavier than the 9mm Obsidian. In my opinion there is not much of a practical acoustic difference between the 9mm and .45 cans when shooting sub-sonic 9mm. The .45 can gives you all of the pistol calibers where the 9mm can is caliber limited. If you are going to get multiple pistol cans I would start with the .45 and then you can decide if you need another or a dedicated 9mm can. The modular cans like the Obsidian are also nice if you want to make it shorter and lighter at the expense of increased report.

Shooting suppressed is addictive, at least for me.

Pick a pistol host that you like and shoot sub-sonic. All .45 ACP is sub-sonic, or shoot 9mm 147gr. .357 mag will not be sub-sonic so you will get some supersonic crack. But .38 special will be sub-sonic. I can shoot .223 in one of my rigs and it is advertised as hearing safe under 140 dB. You’ll hear the supersonic crack, but it isn’t bad for a few shots in the open. More than a few shots or around walls or in a confined space I’ll use hearing protection.

Reactions: Hateca
8C8389EC-0FEF-40EA-BE99-E028A9CACFA6.jpeg

Pair of Rugged Obsidian 45’s. Great cans for handguns and some select big bore rifles. Would recommend. Especially if wanting to suppress some calibers like 357mag, 44mag, 45-70, 450bushmaster, etc.

Last edited:
Everything is generally more fun shooting it suppressed but of those that I have if I had to pick my fav it would be Sig 226 TACOPS w/Dead Air Ghost screwed on the end. I'm not sure if I've ever shot it without the DA Ghost screwed on.

I shoot a 1911 with a tirant 45. Old can, but I’ve shot it next to just about everything else and nothing compares. It doesn’t make it to the range often, but when it does I can’t stop smiling. With a cap of water in the can it is very close to sounding like my silenced 22/45.

1993 called...they want their heavy overrated pos back... Lol

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20180619094048857~2.jpg

I used to be a die-hard HK fan. Right up until I actually handled the f'n thing.

The Osprey is definitely a keeper. It's huge but super quiet.

If you’re buying a suppressor for a pistol caliber long gun, you may as well get a pistol to use with it as well.
IMO, a long gun is the best use of a pistol can.

I have suppressors for most of my guns, and the centerfire pistols are what get shot the least.

They aren’t really quiet enough for the “Wow” factor, they don’t fit in a holster and they handle completely differently than they do without the can mounted.

You can mount a suppressor on a carbine without drastically altering the way it handles. A pistol, not so much.

That said, my favorite suppressed centerfire pistol is my HK USP Tactical with the KAC can. Not because it is quiet, but because somehow I am able to make hits with it at ridiculously long ranges. For the record, I am not a great pistol shooter.

My AAC TiRant 9 pretty much lives on my HK SP5 anymore.

My favorite suppressed pistol is a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a SWR Warlock.

Reactions: deersniper
If you’re buying a suppressor for a pistol caliber long gun, you may as well get a pistol to use with it as well.
IMO, a long gun is the best use of a pistol can.
I have suppressors for most of my guns, and the centerfire pistols are what get shot the least. They aren’t really quiet enough for the “Wow” factor, they don’t fit in a holster and they handle completely differently than they do without the can mounted. You can mount a suppressor on a carbine without drastically altering the way it handles. A pistol, not so much.

I condensed your post, but I like your post as it is very practical. I admit that any practical application where I would like a suppressed handgun would likely end up with double ear pro on a 22 or a suppressed carbine. That application specifically is when racoon and skunk end up in the loft with the cat food.

Has anyone here ever let an unsuppressed 9mm fly in a tin barn? lol A subsonic option would be quite nice even if its still uncomfortable. I dont expect anywhere close to movie quiet without going to a rimfire.

I condensed your post, but like your post as it is very practical. I admit that any practical application where I would like a suppressed handgun would likely end up with double ear pro on a 22 or a suppressed carbine. That application specifically is when racoon and skunk end up in the loft with the cat food.

Has anyone here ever let an unsuppressed 9mm fly in a tin barn? lol A subsonic option would be quite nice even if its still uncomfortable.

No but I have been in a room with a m240 ripping through 4 barrel changes and like 1200 rounds of ammo with no ear pro sooooo....

Double ear pro with a 22 supressed are you serious?

Favorite is a Glock 17 with advantage arms 22 kit and a Gemtech outback. I have a silencerco 22 can too. A ruger 22 pistol is also good fun.

Have a 45 Osprey and Gemtech 9mm cans and others. Suppressed handguns are cool but the balance and recoil is thrown off by the cans.

I run an obsidian 45 and an illusion 9 both suppress well the illusion is actually nice to use on handguns with regular height sights. Muzzle flip is reduced and the lack of “blast” is helpful in teaching fundamentals to beginners and kids. My fav is a kimber 22 conversion i had adco thread. Super accurate and very quiet. 22 lr is by far the most used hosts and caliber I shoot. Three teenage boys will eat up ammo just as fast as the groceries. I picked up a suppressed handgun holster from @softcock and it works really well for me. Pretty jealous of your lever gun, I have been looking for a marlin dark in the same caliber for months. My plan was to run 38 specials and the obsidian. Subs should be a kick in the ass with a can. For what it’s worth all of my auto pistols are threaded, even the glock 43 and s&w shield. So yes suppressed is worth it, in my opinion.