• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Suppressed Makarov.

Ranb

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2008
Belfair, WA
I bought a Norinco type 59 (Mak clone) years ago, and it gathered dust in the safe for a long time after a few trips to the range. After I started making silencers I thought it might be a good mount for a silencer. The only threaded barrel I could get was in 9mm Makarov. I had to turn down the rim of the brass to make it fit the pistol, but it worked fine. My suppressor plans were dropped after I read that blowback pistols the size of 380 and higher were poor choices for suppression due to ejection port noise.

After a while I reconsidered my options and decided that I could make up two loads. A lighter load that would not operate the slide and a standard load that would operate the slide with the 21 pound spring installed; both subsonic. All that was needed was an adaptor to go between the barrel’s ½-32 threads and the silencers ½-28 threads.

suppressedmak.jpg

As you can see the 9mm can is too wide and covers the sights. Anyone know how I can raise the sights? Maybe weld and build them up higher? I have not seen Makarov sights on the market and the front sight seems to be machined as part of the slide.

Ranb

Re: Suppressed Makarov.

I have to do it that way with my Browning HP when the silencer is attached. I do not do that often, so needless to say, my accuracy suffers a bit.
smile.gif

Ranb

I lack the skill to put a dovetail on a slide. I would have to find a gunsmith to do it for me. Maybe I could drill the front of the slide and stack in a sight? Right now I am leaning towards doing a weld build-up then filing down to make them taller.

I have read about putting a groove in the chamber, it sounds a bit risky.

Ranb

I think someone's been playing a little too much farcry 2...
laugh.gif
wink.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously though why bother with changing the sights? I've only ever used one supressed handgun where I COULD see the sights and I've never had an issue. Just aim through the can. Or learn to point shoot...

Any excuse to shoot more often is good enough for me.

Never had any use for video games. Never heard of farcry until today either.
smile.gif

Ranb

Randy, since you are so handy, one more project for those that are not satisified shooting through the can.

Three things come to mind, all other people's best ideas on the subject of accurate aiming out to 12 meters.

1. If the timing of the can remains absolutely constant, add your sight set to the can top, think P38-SD Gen I.

2. Laser mount to can. All the same issue apply.

hello1.jpg

3. PPK to Markov laser mount retro. From what I gather, one big rule...all rounds used must not fully cycle the slide. Manual cycling only as the laser will not take the slide stop pounding...once. Remembering that the laser would cost more than your pistol is worth (that sounded rude, not meant to be). This would allow you to simply have two trigger guards and not permanently alter your slide sights.

hello2.jpg

Interesting question.

The laser sight certainly looks interesting. I should be able to find a way to mount one to the frame securely, but not sure ti is worth the cost. The can just screws on, so it will not index very well over time I think.

Ranb

mad orge has a mak on his sight that has an aftermarket slide with raised sights.... dont know who made them... nice looking sighs though...

Colt/KAC OHG. Competed with the HK MK23.

I have the same problem with my HK P-9S.

What I have done is simple and effective- Just center the can on the target, remember, this is not a target weapon but rather a Torso weapon.
At 50 ft you should after a few mags figure out how to point and shoot.